Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Pertaining to the thread. I'm an introvert, but it seems like I have secondary people skills developing as an extrovert because of the situations I'm put into. I'm posting about it because it seems too good to be true for the most part. What are your thoughts on this? How do you feel about it? Can you relate? I'd love to hear your feedback on this everyone.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Introversion and extroversion don't really pertain to people. It's more about whether you're Ne-dom or Fi-dom.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I can be incredibly bold, I can do a show in front of large groups of people, and I can take charge of groups. I think it's more of a comfort level within myself and just general confidence that allows me to do it. In another sense, I think part of it is ego and just showboating.

Like most, I have a mountain of flaws, but it doesn't mean I have to act awkward or nervous.

I still go home at night and ruminate about the mistakes I made during the day, or pretend to have conversations in the future that may or may not happen. At heart, I'm an introvert, but when I'm out I recognize that I'm no worse than anyone else and that allows me to elevate myself.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Very much agreed, when I started out in another 'class' (pretty hard to describe) I made it a point to myself to act extroverted, and I sure as hell had a lot of fun just being active, taking charge, toying around a bit with the teacher and stuff like that. Another thing I noticed, is that, as long as the stimuli continues, I can at least keep up for 5-7 hours. And then come crashing down, feeling soooo low. Sadly my little ruse ended when I had a bad day, I just couldn't keep it up.

I see my little experiment as extremely successful, seeing as it proved I CAN extrovert, pretty much at will (of course, boring people are boring, heh) that it's extremely taxing is just a side effect, possibility=Freedom! :laughing:

I'm naturally quiet and laid-back, just putting in a comment where I feel it's needed, clarifying/trying to explain and generally being nice.

When there i was somewhat daring (Which certainly isn't me!), friendly, open and a lot more 'charmy'. Of course, people I was bothered by, I'd make some random inputs like: "Hey Jacob, I really think you should get a job as a lumberjack, just thinking of you with the axe, and a falling tree makes me happy!", with an added smile :tongue:, and then adding some other 'pictures' of mine, generally I'd do my best to avoid annoying people, now I dared to confront them and actually toy around with them! The joy! :proud:

A future (somewhat close by) experiment is to try and change, as in making it second-nature to be more extroverted, to push my limits and see where I land. The possibilities are endless:laughing:

Some rambling of mine, pick it apart if you wish

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Some of my closest friends find it hard to believe that I'm an introvert because I can and do go to events and places that supposedly an introvert would avoid at all costs. I go to social gatherings, I talk to people, I go to concerts, I can talk to people for hours and hours and hours...

But after those events (and sometimes while I'm at them depending upon their length), all i want to do is curl up in a corner and sleep until it's over or I can feel me again. I have to have days where I don't say much beyond an occasional "hi," even to my cats. A not so secret desire of mine right now is to follow in a friend's footsteps and go on a hike or adventure in nature for more than a few days, weeks if possible, and not talk to a single person during the entire thing. I'm actually disappointed in my friends because he is talking to people while on his grand adventure despite saying that he was not going to do so. :dry:

Anywho, yes, introverts can be extroverted, we can play the part of being sociable and even have a good time while doing so, but our most natural way to be and act is to need and desire and crave that quiet time where there is nothing and no one else besides us, maybe a pet or two, and time to just think or be. It's just who we are and it's okay. There's nothing wrong with it and it is just one of the things that makes each of us a little different.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Keep in mind that Introverts can be just as extroverted as natural extroverts, at least in my opinion, but at the cost of losing over 9000 points of energy and having to recharge.

I say it's a matter of preference and the situation at hand.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep in mind that Introverts can be just as extroverted as natural extroverts, at least in my opinion, but at the cost of losing over 9000 points of energy and having to recharge.

Rose, I agree with you 100% on that one. When I finally do come crashing down, like Hammer hand described, it goes to doubting myself and receiving inability to express myself in the ways I'd love to. Like (pursuing your description) a power level falling down to unreasonable levels, with unreasonable results that could do with change.

I can be incredibly bold, I can do a show in front of large groups of people, and I can take charge of groups. I think it's more of a comfort level within myself and just general confidence that allows me to do it. In another sense, I think part of it is ego and just showboating.

Like most, I have a mountain of flaws, but it doesn't mean I have to act awkward or nervous.

I still go home at night and ruminate about the mistakes I made during the day, or pretend to have conversations in the future that may or may not happen. At heart, I'm an introvert, but when I'm out I recognize that I'm no worse than anyone else and that allows me to elevate myself.
Very good lad. When I make mistakes, I go and overthink them most of the time.

Introversion and extroversion don't really pertain to people. It's more about whether you're Ne-dom or Fi-dom.
I gotta say that I'm sure that I am Fi-dom. Definitely.

Also Hammerhand, I see no need to pick it apart. As I read, it touched on my values as well. I wanted to make sure it wasn't like a detour of what I was trying to accomplish. It's like a fish surviving without water for an amount of time, with intensifying consequences pursuing when they're kept out of water for longer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's just who we are and it's okay. There's nothing wrong with it and it is just one of the things that makes each of us a little different.
I agree with the fact that there is nothing wrong with it, its just another way of being, however, I've decided that my ideal is a lot more outgoing (of course, a lot more structured aswell), basically I'm aiming for the best of two worlds, to have the energy to extrovert (to gain more experience, see new perspectives), and to have to capacity to introvert (on a deep, meaningful level, exploring my mind).

(Wonders if his constant adding of personal theories and thoughts annoys others:tongue:)

·
Registered
298 Posts

So true!
People often percieve me as being an extrovert because I can talk and laugh a lot when I'm with other people.
Just a few weeks ago a guy told me that I looked like I was intense and bubbling over with energy.
And true enough, sometimes I'm a really social person and almost overwhelm people.
But when I get home I'm exhausted and need lots and lots of alone-time, and I hate being around other people when I'm not up to it, wich is most of the time.

Also, people see me as very open because I can talk about "everything", I'm not afraid of being honest and I can talk about things that other people see as very private/personal.
The thing is that those things doesn't matter very much to me as such.
My opinions of what's private to me and not may be a little different that with others, I think...
I guard my inner, secret thoughts with high walls and barbed wire!
Most people doesn't even realize that I keep them on a safe distance.

As an old friend of mine once said: There's a great difference between "being open" and "open up".

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also Hammerhand, I see no need to pick it apart. As I read, it touched on my values as well. I wanted to make sure it wasn't like a detour of what I was trying to accomplish. It's like a fish surviving without water for an amount of time, with intensifying consequences pursuing when they're kept out of water for longer.
Ah yes, I guess we will find out if it's possible for a fish to grow lungs, after all, what is there to life but exploring? Be it knowledge, feelings or space?

A funny thing by the way, there are some fish that can stay out of water for extended periods of time. Those buggers even climb trees, maniacs:crazy:

So who knows what we are capable of? Humanity has reached space, we will reach our core.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I agree with the fact that there is nothing wrong with it, its just another way of being, however, I've decided that my ideal is a lot more outgoing (of course, a lot more structured aswell), basically I'm aiming for the best of two worlds, to have the energy to extrovert (to gain more experience, see new perspectives), and to have to capacity to introvert (on a deep, meaningful level, exploring my mind).

(Wonders if his constant adding of personal theories and thoughts annoys others:tongue:)
No need to worry about being bothersome or anything like that.

As for your ideal being more outgoing, that's not a bad thing at all. I know of several people who feel similar to yourself, that it is a thing of growing and experiencing the world and finding balance within themselves to be able to walk on both sides of the introvert/extrovert line. As a matter of fact, it fits in very nicely with the concept of growth through learning to utilize and strengthen the various functions.

I wish you luck and hope you find much enjoyment and freedom and release in your journey!

Reactions: Hammerhand

·
Registered
63 Posts
Introversion and Extroversion are just preferences, not rules for how you live your life all of the time. What I mean, is that you may be naturally drawn to introverted tendencies, but you can rise to the occasion and act outgoing when the situation warrants it. I am the same way. I am in fact highly preffered to be an introvert, not to mention I am realllllllly shy, but I am excellent at giving presentations and talking to people when I need to without being awkward or showing any trace of how shy I am. I think this is a great thing, and it is a really helpful life skill! lucky you for having it. :)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I know what you mean... Sometimes, it's like I'm more of an Ambivert (Someone who is both introvert and extrovert.) than an introvert...

But, I think it's because you have more Intrapersonal intelligence than Intrepersonal intelligence. And despite popular beliefs, not all introverts are the quiet, bookworm types who stay home 24/7, and not all extroverts are super confident and need people around them all the time to the point where they cannot think for themselves. It's different for everyone!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
A lot of people I know are quite convinced I'm extroverted. :unsure: Wha?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
it kinda does an Extraverts first function is extraverted and the oppisite for an introvert
like some of us are more shy and stuff than others-we're still INFPs as long as the function orders apply to us.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
i can become more talkative and sociable given the proper circumstances, but i am still introverted during those occasions because i am still spending energy. Every interaction i have with anyone drains my energy, no matter if i'm acting sociable or not.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Introversion and Extroversion are just preferences, not rules for how you live your life all of the time. What I mean, is that you may be naturally drawn to introverted tendencies, but you can rise to the occasion and act outgoing when the situation warrants it. I am the same way. I am in fact highly preffered to be an introvert, not to mention I am realllllllly shy, but I am excellent at giving presentations and talking to people when I need to without being awkward or showing any trace of how shy I am. I think this is a great thing, and it is a really helpful life skill! lucky you for having it. :)
Don't think I'll ever be done being grateful for it, but I appreciate you saying this, as well as for clarifying that for me. No matte rhow much I change, I'm still an INFP at heart. It's there, and acknowledged. :proud:

Ah yes, I guess we will find out if it's possible for a fish to grow lungs, after all, what is there to life but exploring? Be it knowledge, feelings or space?

A funny thing by the way, there are some fish that can stay out of water for extended periods of time. Those buggers even climb trees, maniacs:crazy:

So who knows what we are capable of? Humanity has reached space, we will reach our core.
Well, I don't think there's much else. Especially when that's put in figurative terms. In fact, I don't think there's anything else.

That's pretty amazing about those fish, though. :laughing:

I'm pretty sure we'll get there eventually, if we haven't been there already.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Every time I take the test, I get introvert. This surprises me greatly, because I tend to be a very talkative, outgoing, rambunctious person when I'm out and about in social settings. The only times when I revert into myself and become quiet (fading into the background) is when I feel intimidated or the vibe is wrong.

Otherwise I like to view myself as a very talkative, witty, charming, and too-flirty of an individual with a grand sense of self (but in a good way...not in the I-wanna-smack-that-annoying-bitch-kinda-way). :wink:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Every time I take the test, I get introvert. This surprises me greatly, because I tend to be a very talkative, outgoing, rambunctious person when I'm out and about in social settings. The only times when I revert into myself and become quiet (fading into the background) is when I feel intimidated or the vibe is wrong.

Otherwise I like to view myself as a very talkative, witty, charming, and too-flirty of an individual with a grand sense of self (but in a good way...not in the I-wanna-smack-that-annoying-bitch-kinda-way). :wink:
It seems like somewhere in there you were trying to prove a point. Along with that, I usually get introver ttoo; even if I don't act like it a lot in public. I'm the guy that's walking in the hall at college, making eye contact with EVERYONE, not checking any one out. Yet I don't even have a grasp on the root of my feelings. My father's an ESTJ, heheh, I'm getting off track in a thread I created. Anyway. it looks like all of us have our own way of communicating with others. Your way, Dee, seems to be a little more contact sport if you get me, heck. I'd be intimidated at first if you acted the way you described around me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts