Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does someone improve this? To pick your brains a bit, how do you navigate in the environment? It is as if you all can observe the observer's observations. It fascinates to me to no end. Do you ever get overwhelmed by the incredible amount of sensory information that your mind can handle? Are any of you into science and engineering? I know this is a bit abstract but do you ever go into your introverted thinking and disassemble and reassemble machines and mechanical ideas? Is your mind operating in some sort of photographic type of heightened awareness? Is there ever a visually descriptive replay of the visual events of the day?

·
MOTM June 2010
ISTP - 9w8
2,511 Posts
Dario Nardi's "8 Keys" gives some good ideas on testing your cognitive functions and how to develop them. If you click on the url and scroll to pages 24 and 25 of the booklet, you can assess how much you use Se, a practical description of how it works and how to develop it. I think starting at about page 31 there are excercises and suggestions on how to develop Se.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
To pick your brains a bit, how do you navigate in the environment?
I walk around and people watch a lot. I have a great deal of awareness for what is around me. My mom is an INFJ, and I tend to point things out to her that she never even saw and says she wouldn't have seen if I hadn't showed her.
It is as if you all can observe the observer's observations.
I won't disagree with this statement, I can relate to what you are saying. I read a lot of facial expressions, and given the way people react to certain events helps me to understand what an observer is seeing/feeling.
Do you ever get overwhelmed by the incredible amount of sensory information that your mind can handle?
So far no! I love it! The more sensory information I seem to get the more energetic I get. However... I have yet to make it out to Las Vegas. THAT might put me in sensory overload! :crazy:
Are any of you into science and engineering?
I majored in civil engineering for awhile, unfortunately it's a fairly new program in our region and we don't have that great of instructors yet, so I dropped out and switched gears to sociology and criminal justice. It fits more with my desire to help people anyway. I have never been good with science. It really just doesn't interest me.
I know this is a bit abstract but do you ever go into your introverted thinking and disassemble and reassemble machines and mechanical ideas?
I'm constantly taking things apart and putting them back together to see how they work. I'm not sure I'm going into introverted thinking to do so... I've just always had a knack for it. I think from the time I was 5 on I took every TV remote apart just to see how it worked. Parents weren't very happy, but I always got it back together without any problems.
Is your mind operating in some sort of photographic type of heightened awareness? Is there ever a visually descriptive replay of the visual events of the day?
Pretty much nailed it on the head for how I am. I have a photographic memory. If I hear a name and see a face most of the time I don't forget it... Unless it's been a really long time since I've heard the name or seen the face. For example, if I meet someone, I remember them saying their name and remember their face... So, say someone mentions the name a couple of weeks down the road, I can recall the face without having to see them. Now, if it's been several months and I haven't even run into this person, it's likely I'll have a bit harder of a time remembering. Just the other day I ran into a former college friend at a sports bar and we exchanged hellos. I remembered his face, but for the life of me couldn't place his name. A few days later I finally remembered his name. I usually don't forget information, it just takes me longer to find where my brain filed it. :tongue:

My replays are a little different. If I close my eyes and think about it, I can generally replay it, but most of the time it just comes in dreams.

Feel free to ask any questions, I know I think quite differently than an N does....my best friend points that out to me everyday.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
My ESTP friend always amazes me with the number of things she picks up on. She's really good at reading people, and I sometimes feel like an open book around her.

Do you ever get overwhelmed by the incredible amount of sensory information that your mind can handle?
Nope. She seeks it out. She gets so incredibly bored when there isn't enough going on.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
My ESTP friend always amazes me with the number of things she picks up on. She's really good at reading people, and I sometimes feel like an open book around her.

Nope. She seeks it out. She gets so incredibly bored when there isn't enough going on.
LoL! This made me think about the things I notice in a photograph. A friend of mine sent me a picture and the first thing I notice in the picture wasn't him, it was his surroundings. I like to take in the whole picture, not just the main focal point.

·
Registered
393 Posts
korvyna, i love your replies

So, can i conclude Se as having a total sense of awareness of your surroundings?
It's like one of those shaolin kungfu masters who can dodge an arrow coming from behind... (sort off)

Si on the other hand is about memory.... I think...

So confusing!:confused:

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
korvyna, i love your replies

So, can i conclude Se as having a total sense of awareness of your surroundings?
It's like one of those shaolin kungfu masters who can dodge an arrow coming from behind... (sort off)

Si on the other hand is about memory.... I think...

So confusing!:confused:
Se is an awareness of the present surroundings and Si is a collection of previous encounters, facts and figures. All sensors use a lot of both, but our primary cognitive function defines what we use every day by default.

·
Registered
531 Posts
So how can one develop their Si. Trying to balance my test results below. Seems I am out with the old and in with the new a little too much?
Test results below:

Your Cognitive Development Profile
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************************************** (44.7)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (17.4)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************* (31.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************** (20.3)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************* (31.6)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************* (37.7)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************** (29.1)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.6)
average use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ESTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Sensing (Se): Immersing in the present context. Responding naturally to everything tangible you detect through your senses. Checking with what your gut instincts say. Testing limits and take risks for big rewards.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
You are using too much of that dirty intuition :happy:

I enhance my Si by studying facts (wiki is always good). When watching a movie I like to look up people I recognize or if I hear a voice I try to figure out who it is. I use the site IMDB to do it. It's a fun game.

Reactions: njchick

·
Registered
307 Posts
You are using too much of that dirty intuition :happy:

I enhance my Si by studying facts (wiki is always good). When watching a movie I like to look up people I recognize or if I hear a voice I try to figure out who it is. I use the site IMDB to do it. It's a fun game.
Definitely! I also like to walk around with friends and point out random passerby's that look like celebrities. You'd be surprised how many john belushi look-alikes I see

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, very interesting tips guys, I have to try it.

I am new to all of this, still learning. Interestingly, my use of Ne exceeds my use of Ni as Treebob pointed out. I am not sure if I answered these intuitive questions without fully understanding the question or if I am truly lacking with my Ni. How can one help develop their Ni more? I thought ESTP, from what I read, primarily uses Se Ti Fe Ni. :unsure:

The low results on the Si explains a lot for me. When I see a movie with my kids my husband automatically knows whose voice is behind the characters, I cannot figure it out most of the time. I also don't recall things very well, I can watch a movie and a month later someone will ask, "remember that part" I'm thinking, no I purged that shit already. I'm glad there is a way for me to improve this area.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
Wow, very interesting tips guys, I have to try it.

I am new to all of this, still learning. Interestingly, my use of Ne exceeds my use of Ni as Treebob pointed out. I am not sure if I answered these intuitive questions without fully understanding the question or if I am truly lacking with my Ni. How can one help develop their Ni more? I thought ESTP, from what I read, primarily uses Se Ti Fe Ni. :unsure:

The low results on the Si explains a lot for me. When I see a movie with my kids my husband automatically knows whose voice is behind the characters, I cannot figure it out most of the time. I also don't recall things very well, I can watch a movie and a month later someone will ask, "remember that part" I'm thinking, no I purged that shit already. I'm glad there is a way for me to improve this area.
Ni is good for ESTP to learn to manipulate situations. Being your 4th function it is generally unused. I have learned to develop it a lot more in the last few years. In conversations we predominantly use Se by watching faces and gestures as well as keywords used. Sometimes though we just have this gut feeling that something is a certain way. To develop your Ni you basically need to trust that gut feeling. We ESTP have the added bonus of validation through body language and such to go with our week Ni gut feeling.

INXJ do the same thing as us but in reverse. They rely mainly on their gut, sometimes to the point where they come off as psychic.

A good example for me is I sometimes get the feeling a girl likes me. Me being an ESTP I just can't bring myself to go with my gut so I have learned to set women up to reveal their feelings. It is a fun game and in the end she doesn't know she was set up and we both get what we wanted.

By the way you don't need your Si to be an ESTP but to be a strong sensor it is an important function to have. If you are going to develop anything develop your Si and eventually your Ni.

Reactions: njchick

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ni is good for ESTP to learn to manipulate situations. Being your 4th function it is generally unused. I have learned to develop it a lot more in the last few years. In conversations we predominantly use Se by watching faces and gestures as well as keywords used. Sometimes though we just have this gut feeling that something is a certain way. To develop your Ni you basically need to trust that gut feeling. We ESTP have the added bonus of validation through body language and such to go with our week Ni gut feeling.

INXJ do the same thing as us but in reverse. They rely mainly on their gut, sometimes to the point where they come off as psychic.

A good example for me is I sometimes get the feeling a girl likes me. Me being an ESTP I just can't bring myself to go with my gut so I have learned to set women up to reveal their feelings. It is a fun game and in the end she doesn't know she was set up and we both get what we wanted.

By the way you don't need your Si to be an ESTP but to be a strong sensor it is an important function to have. If you are going to develop anything develop your Si and eventually your Ni.
Thanks for the input, I'm going to work on developing these areas.
I think this test is a really good tool in determining type. The best part is at the bottom it asks what type you are, I chose the drop down "I don't know" and it still tagged me as ESTP.
Not to mention the added benefit of finding out what you need to work on.

·
Registered
689 Posts
When I'm in full-Se mode, I completely lose all thought. I'm only taking in sensory information, rather than seeing something and thinking about it.
:]

·
Registered
307 Posts

That's interesting about manipulating the situation to get the girl to talk about her feelings about you. How do you do it?

·
Registered
531 Posts
When I'm in full-Se mode, I completely lose all thought. I'm only taking in sensory information, rather than seeing something and thinking about it.
:]
Wow, that's so difficult for me to comprehend being I am always grabbing my surroundings and processing the information at the same time. I don't think I could take in sensory information without thinking, no matter how hard I tried.
So does using more Si help develop one's memory? Recall?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wow, that's so difficult for me to comprehend being I am always grabbing my surroundings and processing the information at the same time. I don't think I could take in sensory information without thinking, no matter how hard I tried.
I learned this largely through meditation. It took time. Now, I can take in tons of sensory information without actually processing it- To the point to where its overwhelming.
Breaking my Ti barrier was the most difficult thing.
So does using more Si help develop one's memory? Recall?
I think Si is slightly different than memory.
I've always considered Si to be related to synesthesia- Like thinking of someone you have a specific smell attached to, then you smell that smell and feel how you felt around them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As an INTJ, it took me a few years of intense focus on self-discovery to learn how to induce the exact opposite of my dominant function when I want it and need it. But once I was able to do it, it's pretty cool—and very different from my haughty and biased assumptions regarding its inferiority before the expansion of my own consciousness.

With extraverted sensing, you basically capture the whole spectrum of simultaneous phenomenons at once. For example, I remember working at an all sports summer camp once and had to jump from introverted intuition to extraverted sensation pretty fast. And once I made the transition, I could notice details that I would never have caught. In one instance, I was able to remember the color, shape, style, and form of the water bottle of one of my kids for days even though I only had a momentary glimpse of it (she lost it so I had to find it for her based on memory).

I noticed that when I am in the extraverted sensing mode, everything is so so so much lighter, brighter, and energetic than when I am in introverted intuition. Strong colors grab my attention a lot more and time is no longer processed passively but actively. It almost feels as if you move time rather than time moving you, the latter of which is what I feel when in introverted intuition.

If there is a slight change in sensual stimulus, I would be able to respond to it rapidly and even instinctually pick out where the next highest stimulus will come from.

In a way, it feels like a perpetual high and things go really really fast. This is totally mind-blowing the first time I induced it because when I am in my usual introverted intuition, I literally have an invisible wall between me and the world that prevents me from full engagement. However, introverted intuition gives me the ability to soak up all the details of the world and receive what feels like "revelations" that reflect patterns big and small.

I am pretty sure I am still a beginner at using my unconscious extraverted sensing but this is literally my experience. Introverted intuition and extraverted sensing are just so different that neither can establish a moral superiority against each other. There is simply no comparison.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts