Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In what ways does extroverted thinking confirms it's thinking?
Is it seeking confirmation? Or is it more basing it's thinking on external factors?
Does it use observations, measurements, other peoples thoughts?

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Te is more focused on objectively proving that something has a goal worth pursuing and that an idea has an actual application. Ti is more concerned with the process or logically understanding the underlying idea of something.

When I'm arguing with my ENTP friend over something I often find myself asking: "Where are we going with this? What are we trying to achieve?" I have a need to see the end goal with everything I do. These are things that are measurable, you can pile up observations into statistics that prove how efficient something is. I think whether you care about others' thoughts/opinions or not is more of a Fe/Fi thing.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Te is more focused on objectively proving that something has a goal worth pursuing and that an idea has an actual application. Ti is more concerned with the process or logically understanding the underlying idea of something.

When I'm arguing with my ENTP friend over something I often find myself asking: "Where are we going with this? What are we trying to achieve?" I have a need to see the end goal with everything I do. These are things that are measurable, you can pile up observations into statistics that prove how efficient something is. I think whether you care about others' thoughts/opinions or not is more of a Fe/Fi thing.
Ok, so Te evaluates worth, and this scale of worth is concerned with something being feasible, and even better if it is more efficient?

What I was curious about was when learning a new concept/idea/theory etc. that logically relates to other concepts/ideas/theories etc. I will think about it to try to understand it, however I much prefer to have someone knowledgable (or google) to bounce my thinking off to ensure I have come to a correct conclusion/understanding. I guess it's external confirmation my thoughts line up.

Sounds a bit like me and my ENFP. He will suggest going for a ride, my next response is where to? For him it's about the journey, for me I like to have a reason or goal haha.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Ok, so Te evaluates worth, and this scale of worth is concerned with something being feasible, and even better if it is more efficient?

What I was curious about was when learning a new concept/idea/theory etc. that logically relates to other concepts/ideas/theories etc. I will think about it to try to understand it, however I much prefer to have someone knowledgable (or google) to bounce my thinking off to ensure I have come to a correct conclusion/understanding. I guess it's external confirmation my thoughts line up.

Sounds a bit like me and my ENFP. He will suggest going for a ride, my next response is where to? For him it's about the journey, for me I like to have a reason or goal haha.
T and F are judging functions, N and S stand for the perceptions. Speaking from myself, Te wants to explain things and I'm all about that efficiency, and I also like to have researched a subject beforehand to back up my thinking. I don't like making mistakes in logic because I have variables missing, so gathering a full picture before acting is important to me.

I think the organization of ideas in your head is related to Ni/Ne. How you take things in determines what comes out completely even if the judging function is the same. For instance an INTJ and an ENFP both use Te to rationalize, but the way we connect the dots differ totally. So while my output is a single or a few highly complex constructions, one fleshed out universe, those of an ENFP aren't as focused but the total complexity is also very impressive, multiple coexisting universes. Also ENTPs/ENFPs have lots of ideas at once, but trouble finishing them.

I'd take the full picture and focus it into detail, while the ENFP/ENTP would take that detail and radiate outwards. This is why our dynamic together builds off of eachother so easily.

Reactions: Ksara

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
T and F are judging functions, N and S stand for the perceptions. Speaking from myself, Te wants to explain things and I'm all about that efficiency, and I also like to have researched a subject beforehand to back up my thinking. I don't like making mistakes in logic because I have variables missing, so gathering a full picture before acting is important to me.
And this is why I rarely enter into a debate unless I'm very sure of my self.
(however my assumption always is I don't know everything).

I think the organization of ideas in your head is related to Ni/Ne. How you take things in determines what comes out completely even if the judging function is the same.
Interesting. Often I come across descriptions of the Ji functions being the ones organizing to the mind.
But yes I agree, what is perceived will affect what can be judged (even if in the same manner of judgment)

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Interesting. Often I come across descriptions of the Ji functions being the ones organizing to the mind.
But yes I agree, what is perceived will affect what can be judged (even if in the same manner of judgment)
I think of it as input and output. It's easier to notice the output in yourself and others because that's what shown in one way or another. How we input, take things in, is all abstract, unconscious and mostly just manifests itself inside our heads.

Do you know your personality type btw?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think of it as input and output. It's easier to notice the output in yourself and others because that's what shown in one way or another. How we input, take things in, is all abstract, unconscious and mostly just manifests itself inside our heads.
Yes. I have thought about this, but hadn't defined it so precisely.

Do you know your personality type btw?
Nothing with confidence.
I want to be convinced, see and understand the workings of my mind to know type xxxx best fits me. I'm just not there yet and find it difficult to relate my inner process to words on paper.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Nothing with confidence.
I want to be convinced, see and understand the workings of my mind to know type xxxx best fits me. I'm just not there yet and find it difficult to relate my inner process to words on paper.
One way to do it is to just do lots of personality tests, preferably many different tests, to gather some empirical data and see where you're leaning to. I've tested as INTJ most of the time, but even ISTJ once. I can relate to ENTJ and INFJ as well, but never got them as results.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One way to do it is to just do lots of personality tests, preferably many different tests, to gather some empirical data and see where you're leaning to. I've tested as INTJ most of the time, but even ISTJ once. I can relate to ENTJ and INFJ as well, but never got them as results.
Haha thanks :)
unfortunately my test results are not always as stable. For me it's a combination of this, the process of elimination of what I am not, and how others perceive me.

I believe I have identified Fi within me, which would mean Te would be the in the mix somewhere.
I do not have issues with planning my time. I don't ask the question will it work, rather work out in my head will it work. There is always a sense of planning, or thinking about what needs to be done (I can can feel anxious until the timeline of events to come are laid out in my mind). I can think about it, flesh it out a bit...and never actually bring it too fruition haha. I can Prioritize what works for me. I have even thought about what it is I want to write here. Could be Te, however I identify this as a J characteristic when looking at the dichotomies.

With my initial question I was hypothesize that Te would be likely to explain it's thinking to others, where as Ti would do this all internally.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
With my initial question I was hypothesize that Te would be likely to explain it's thinking to others, where as Ti would do this all internally.
This is how I see it too. I often think in such a way as if I'm going to have a speech about it soon even though I probably won't talk to anybody about my thoughts, in my head I explain things to myself so that hypothetically others could understand it too (if I chose to say it out loud later). You seem to have a good grip of how the functions work.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is how I see it too. I often think in such a way as if I'm going to have a speech about it soon even though I probably won't talk to anybody about my thoughts, in my head I explain things to myself so that hypothetically others could understand it too (if I chose to say it out loud later). You seem to have a good grip of how the functions work.
Why are you in my head? :p I do that haha.
It could be a Te thing, or just a preference to think in language. (Is thinking in language thinking?)

The problem is I can achieve a clear understanding through language, but when I then explain it to someone...it comes out in pieces. That is, because I thought it, I may think I have said it, or I explain one part thinking the rest is obvious not realising the other person needs more context. Sometimes it's because what I said makes complete sense to me, which is because I have other thoughts to reference in my mind...that the person I'm talking to doesn't...

Thanks.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Why are you in my head? :p I do that haha.
It could be a Te thing, or just a preference to think in language. (Is thinking in language thinking?)

The problem is I can achieve a clear understanding through language, but when I then explain it to someone...it comes out in pieces. That is, because I thought it, I may think I have said it, or I explain one part thinking the rest is obvious not realising the other person needs more context. Sometimes it's because what I said makes complete sense to me, which is because I have other thoughts to reference in my mind...that the person I'm talking to doesn't...

Thanks.
I did that (bold) in class not too long ago. The teacher mocked me "That is all correct, but do you think the others understood you?" Haha, we seem pretty similar. :)

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts

Pardon me for interrupting, but when did Te get associated with application?

As far as I know, Te is simply a preference for relying on external, objective data to validate claims.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

As far as I know, Te is simply a preference for relying on external, objective data to validate claims.
I think I have seen somewhere that all extroverted functions bring about action in the world. I can't verify this though.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts

In my experience Ti can be more impractical. For instance my brother (who is an INTP, with Ti-dom) will often think out the most amazing ideas on some detail, but all I'm thinking is: "This all makes sense, but how are you going to use this?"

Perhaps you may be right though, maybe not all personality types use Te in this way?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In my experience Ti can be more impractical. For instance my brother (who is an INTP, with Ti-dom) will often think out the most amazing ideas on some detail, but all I'm thinking is: "This all makes sense, but how are you going to use this?"

Perhaps you may be right though, maybe not all personality types use Te in this way?

In general it is the extroverted attitude that is likely to bring about action in the world (as they lead with an extroverted function), so even an INTJ who uses Te aux can appear to be lazy :p

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
In general it is the extroverted attitude that is likely to bring about action in the world (as they lead with an extroverted function), so even an INTJ who uses Te aux can appear to be lazy :p
Appear lazy? I am lazy! I always try to achieve the most possible with as little work as possible. ;)

I like your observations, you seem to gather from alot of sources before you come to conclusions about things.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Appear lazy? I am lazy! I always try to achieve the most possible with as little work as possible. ;)
That's just called being efficient :p

I like your observations, you seem to gather from alot of sources before you come to conclusions about things.
Haha yes. I have done a lot of reading on the subject, however a lot of that has been online (and so not reliable). I need to get my hands on more books :)

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
That's just called being efficient :p
Yes, but I also almost never put in my full potential, I'm very conservative of my energy like that. So my approach to life isn't necessarily the peak of efficiency and results, but it's very efficient still.

Haha yes. I have done a lot of reading on the subject, however a lot of that has been online (and so not reliable). I need to get my hands on more books :)
You should look into books by Isabel Briggs Myers, David Keirsey and Anna Moss to name a few authors. I don't own any myself yet so I can't recommend specific works, but it's worth a look. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts