Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So from what I've seen and read, extroverts tend to like social report more than introverts. Confirm or deny this statement.

EDIT: Sorry social rapport I meant.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think it depends more on the exact type.
For instance, an INFJ would probably be better than an ENTJ. I think, atleast.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My INFJ ex hated social events with a passion. She would be so drained from them she could only go out the door at most twice a week. So I'm not sure that is true.

·
11,928 Posts
My INFJ ex hated social events with a passion. She would be so drained from them she could only go out the door at most twice a week. So I'm not sure that is true.
I don't think it necessarily has to be about big social events. Perhaps just social activity. My mom's an INFJ and she really enjoys being around people, general. Me? I tend to social events also.

Now that I think about a bit more, I think that it would depend more on the social activity.

·
Registered
291 Posts
MBTI asserts that an individual with a certain type can use a single order of functions most easily. Extroverts have an extroverted function as dominant - therefore for an extrovert it is easiest to process external things. The introvert must skip around to arrive at a useful extroverted function. Thus, social exertion for the introvert requires slightly more effort. However, if the individual being communicated with can feed a dominant introverted function, then social rapport becomes stimulating to the introvert.

I'm talking out of my fourth point of contact, so correct if I'm wrong.

·
11,928 Posts
MBTI asserts that an individual with a certain type can use a single order of functions most easily. Extroverts have an extroverted function as dominant - therefore for an extrovert it is easiest to process external things. The introvert must skip around to arrive at a useful extroverted function. Thus, social exertion for the introvert requires slightly more effort. However, if the individual being communicated with can feed a dominant introverted function, then social rapport becomes stimulating to the introvert.

I'm talking out of my fourth point of contact, so correct if I'm wrong.
I think that's true to some extent. I think that extroverts do it also, but you're right when you said that it may take more effort from the introvert than from the extrovert. The only thing is, I've had trouble understanding how that would work for xxxJs only because it's easier for me to understand how people with either Ti or Fi would do that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think the most stimulation for me has come out of Te Fi users, because I can use the same language. In essense, only another INTJ can and still must use all of the fidgety terms and such to make my Fi approve. ENTPs I can communicate with, but not when Fe is being used - only Ti. Logic is fairly universal, appealing to my Te, but my Fi doesn't play with Fe.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Eh, it's a weak statement...

There can be social introverts that may like social rapport just as there can also be shy extroverts that may not do as well as in having social rapport, so while the tendency is likely true, it doesn't really prove anything substantial to my mind.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think it necessarily has to be about big social events. Perhaps just social activity. My mom's an INFJ and she really enjoys being around people, general. Me? I tend to social events also.

Now that I think about a bit more, I think that it would depend more on the social activity.
Go into futher detail. What social activities would make you feel energized and which ones would make you feel drained?

There can be social introverts that may like social rapport just as there can also be shy extroverts that may not do as well as in having social rapport, so while the tendency is likely true, it doesn't really prove anything substantial to my mind.
Yeah, this is true. Extraverts can develop a social phobia.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I think the most stimulation for me has come out of Te Fi users, because I can use the same language. In essense, only another INTJ can and still must use all of the fidgety terms and such to make my Fi approve. ENTPs I can communicate with, but not when Fe is being used - only Ti. Logic is fairly universal, appealing to my Te, but my Fi doesn't play with Fe.
When I'd go out with my INTJ, I believe his Ni was stimulated whilst in one on one conversations with my Ne. This was even when we were in public.

In reference to the OP: I hate people. :happy:

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I'd go out with my INTJ, I believe his Ni was stimulated whilst in one on one conversations with my Ne. This was even when we were in public.

In reference to the OP: I hate people. :happy:
You absolutely have to elaborate on what you meant by this statement.

·
11,928 Posts
Go into futher detail. What social activities would make you feel energized and which ones would make you feel drained?
In theory, if I could find someone to have an interesting conversation with, I could probably do that for hours without getting drained. If I have the freedom to get up and move around/do my own thing whilst being in the company of others, I may not get drained. If I'm in the right mood and I can find some fun people, then just hanging around doing nothing will energize me...
It really depends. I've gotten drained if I was trying to do something, and someone started talking my ear off. I get drained if I'm forced to sit around and do nothing(and I mean nothing) for an extended period of time, even if people are around. And rarely will I enjoy a huge party for very long. It gets boring.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In theory, if I could find someone to have an interesting conversation with, I could probably do that for hours without getting drained. If I have the freedom to get up and move around/do my own thing whilst being in the company of others, I may not get drained. If I'm in the right mood and I can find some fun people, then just hanging around doing nothing will energize me...
It really depends. I've gotten drained if I was trying to do something, and someone started talking my ear off. I get drained if I'm forced to sit around and do nothing(and I mean nothing) for an extended period of time, even if people are around. And rarely will I enjoy a huge party for very long. It gets boring.
Well yeah, I feel the exact same way.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
You absolutely have to elaborate on what you meant by this statement.
Okay. I absolutely will.

I guess I should have said that I hate groups. I care about rapport more when it comes to being one on one with an individual.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Every social activity drains me. Performing on stage is one of the few that also re-energizes me, to the point that I can't sleep for several hours afterward.

The only thing that truly re-energizes me, though, is 100% alone time...not even pets bothering me for affection. The day after a big gig, I'm completely wiped out.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay. I absolutely will.

I guess I should have said that I hate groups. I care about rapport more when it comes to being one on one with an individual.
Oh yeah I can relate very much to this. I hate "groups as well". I think that this is an Fi trait, and I think that the "group mentality" is more of an Fe thing.

Did you want more of an explanation or something?
It made a lot of sense to me, but if you want to elaborate further than go for it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Oh yeah I can relate very much to this. I hate "groups as well". I think that this is an Fi trait, and I think that the "group mentality" is more of an Fe thing.
I think it is important one differentiates between extravert and extrovert and intravert and introvert. Also your opening question was a bit basic: Obviously?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts