Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever become extremely emotional over certain things? For example I become extremely angry when I play FPS. Something just comes over me, I can't help it. I will shout, swear and smash the keyboard. But when I stop playing, I instantly stop being angry. Its really strange.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Maybe on an unconscious level, playing it had triggered unhappy thoughts from a past experience/observation. I'm not sure.

What's the game about?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe on an unconscious level, playing it had triggered unhappy thoughts from a past experience/observation. I'm not sure.

What's the game about?
FPS = First Person Shooter

So games like Halo, Call of duty, Medal of Honor etc

·
Registered
659 Posts
I used to have very bad, reactionary anger problems when I was a kid. Not so much anymore because I'm better at controlling myself, but at times it gets the best of me. Anger is really the only emotion that has the capability to completely take me over. I think it's because I like it- the huge, destructive release of emotion all at once.. it's like a guilty pleasure.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
FPS = First Person Shooter

So games like Halo, Call of duty, Medal of Honor etc
I'm not a psychologist and I don't play games that much anymore...

(Gone are the days when I was a child and games were enough to make me happy :sad: anyway.......)

But maybe, it stems from a desire for you to attack or go against something? And you find it manifesting more when you play?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Something just comes over me, I can't help it. I will shout, swear and smash the keyboard. But when I stop playing, I instantly stop being angry. Its really strange.
Aw, that's just a guy thing. I think the decibel level of the room raises about 500% whenever my friends and I play on LAN. I swear and smash my keyboard whenever I get zerg rushed :happy:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Actually after further thinking.. it's normal :tongue:

Some extreme emotions can be so random, and there's no fixed psychological explanation for them.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually after further thinking.. it's normal :tongue:

Some extreme emotions can be so random, and there's no fixed psychological explanation for them.
Lol yeah you're probably right. I think it stems from the fact I want to be the best in something I like lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you ever become extremely emotional over certain things? For example I become extremely angry when I play FPS. Something just comes over me, I can't help it. I will shout, swear and smash the keyboard. But when I stop playing, I instantly stop being angry. Its really strange.
Lol.

I used to get so angry when I got 'ganked' in WoW. NERDRAGE! I think I broke a couple of mice and keyboards too.

In relation to other people though, I'm quite mellow.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hm. Sometimes, but with decreasing regularity recently I can get so frustrated with not having control over a situation I get a nigh unstoppable urge to break, to smash or act. I usually punch a wooden pillar in my home when I experience this. It relieves tension quite well as well as hardening my knuckles. I can punch most things without pain.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I used to get really mad at FPS games (especially Modern Warfare 2 (also known as Cock of Doody: Modern Gayfuckstupid 2 if you have ever watched the Arby 'n the Chief series)), but it happens much less now (this can be contributed to my divorce of consoles in favor of the internet) and when it does happen, it is a lot less worse then it used to. Only with FPS games though, I'm pretty good with other games.

·
Registered
56 Posts
TV noise in the background = instant rage.
It's one of those noises that slowly grind up against my consciousness until I notice it... thus interrupting whatever I was focusing on. I get so angry. I smash my keyboard, swear and feel physically stressed until I turn it off or close the door.

And yeah, I used to be easily overtaken by anger, too. But I'm much calmer and more restrained now... provided I've gotten enough rest.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I'm pretty even keeled and episodes of extreme emotion are rare. I think the post I recently made about not getting a job at a place I previously worked and crying over it is a more recent example of extreme emotion and honestly I don't know if it was even all that extreme. Maybe extreme by my standards since I'm not normally given to such strong emotions.

Most of the times I've been very emotional that I remember center around competency issues. That is working hard to try and achieve something I'd like and falling short.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts