Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a whopping 88% Ne on my latest test and have never scored below 70% that I can remember. I've taken the MBTI more than 10 times, almost always come out as an INFP but the order of dominant functions doesn't seem to make sense. It is NPIF with Feeling barely edging out over Thinking. In life I always choose how I feel over what I think to make decisions though so I think the slight difference is merely what is left over due to the massive extent Ne dominates my type.

So, what would someone with this much Ne be like?

I've always, always been told that I'm very creative; virtually everyone I've met has said this and while it used to compliment me it now scares me and I beat myself up psychologically every day over not applying this perceived creativity at all. Is heightened creativity an Ne dominant result?

I hallucinate. It is getting worse as I'm growing into my early twenties. Often it is just various faces of things that flash in my vision for brief spans of time, like single frame movie slides. They always look incredibly bizarre and otherworldly. Animals made of fire, strange alien faces, demonic looking faces, that sort of thing. Rarely I'll see full bodied apparitions and occasionally will hear things that are not there. I see a constant rainbow latticework over absolutely everything and have repeatedly asked optometrists about it. They say my eyeballs are fine and it must be neurological. Is schizophrenia something that would test out as high Ne?

I have problems with paranoid delusions. I'm pretty self aware when it comes to this but sometimes the idea that something isn't right about a situation gets the better of me. The worst part of it is I can never be quite sure. I try to logically gather all the facts but the X factor of possibility is a psychic bogeyman. Is this a high Ne problem? A bug in the system of anticipatory information gathering perhaps?

If anyone has any tips on how to healthily express very dominant Ne it would be much appreciated.

Also one more question, does this overwhelmingly dominant Ne mean I am perhaps not an INFP and might instead be an ENFP or ENTP even? I am not sure how that works.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then do you know what is the origination for these things ? There normally is..
I'm not sure. It used to happen to be kind of rarely as a kid, before I was in kindergarten I remember it happening sometimes. There's one incident that really stands out. I was raised Catholic by 2 very religious parents (who are now divorced) and I had a portrait of Jesus as an infant done by one of the Renaissance masters next to my bed. This one here; http://holyhillcross.com/BABY.JESUS.LUCILLES.3.jpg

Anyway one night I was laying in bed and, as a very young and impressionable INFP I was looking at the picture saying a prayer with the utmost sincerity of a child. I finished my prayer and just looked at the picture smiling, it was very comforting to have it near my bed. Then something happened. The face of the child in the portrait suddenly twisted and became deformed, skeletal and extremely frightening. Black hollow pits where the eyes were a moment ago and the skin was an ash grey color. I got out of bed immediately and went to tell my mom about it, who told me I was just dreaming. I knew I had not been dreaming; I had been praying and was awake when it happened.

Anyway that's the first time I can remember seeing something like that. No earlier memories of anything strange. I was somewhere around age 5 when it happened.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I scored a whopping 88% Ne on my latest test and have never scored below 70% that I can remember. I've taken the MBTI more than 10 times, almost always come out as an INFP but the order of dominant functions doesn't seem to make sense. It is NPIF with Feeling barely edging out over Thinking. In life I always choose how I feel over what I think to make decisions though so I think the slight difference is merely what is left over due to the massive extent Ne dominates my type.

So, what would someone with this much Ne be like?

I've always, always been told that I'm very creative; virtually everyone I've met has said this and while it used to compliment me it now scares me and I beat myself up psychologically every day over not applying this perceived creativity at all. Is heightened creativity an Ne dominant result?

I hallucinate. It is getting worse as I'm growing into my early twenties. Often it is just various faces of things that flash in my vision for brief spans of time, like single frame movie slides. They always look incredibly bizarre and otherworldly. Animals made of fire, strange alien faces, demonic looking faces, that sort of thing. Rarely I'll see full bodied apparitions and occasionally will hear things that are not there. I see a constant rainbow latticework over absolutely everything and have repeatedly asked optometrists about it. They say my eyeballs are fine and it must be neurological. Is schizophrenia something that would test out as high Ne?

I have problems with paranoid delusions. I'm pretty self aware when it comes to this but sometimes the idea that something isn't right about a situation gets the better of me. The worst part of it is I can never be quite sure. I try to logically gather all the facts but the X factor of possibility is a psychic bogeyman. Is this a high Ne problem? A bug in the system of anticipatory information gathering perhaps?

If anyone has any tips on how to healthily express very dominant Ne it would be much appreciated.

Also one more question, does this overwhelmingly dominant Ne mean I am perhaps not an INFP and might instead be an ENFP or ENTP even? I am not sure how that works.
I also have a high Ne, and I don't have these problems (Although I don't know if you think these are 'problems'. They have the potential to be inspiring, I suppose, but you did claim that you were afraid as well.)

If you're in your 20s, this sounds like schizophrenia (or related) symptoms. You didn't mention seeing a doctor, other than an optometrist, which piqued my curiosity. I don't think that compulsive visions are something you can truly 'control' without medication (And even then, I'm sure there are still side effects and it might not 'take them away', if that's what you'd want.)

My advice to you is to look into lucid dreaming, mindful meditation practices, and yoga. In that order. Do some research, and try it out.

Oh, and... After that, if you are so inclined, perhaps see a medical doctor.

·
Registered
15 Posts

It's true that people with hallucinations and delusions have high intuition. They can be very good at "reading" others. For example, if someone is lying, they will pick it up unconsciously and then it can come up in their hallucinations (which work very similarly to dreams). But the problem is when you can't control them anymore and they start controlling you or when they become expression of your fears, not reality. So if you are scared and unsure of yourself, it might be a good idea to talk to a professional.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I was going to say, I wondered if you have that kind of psychic reader thing. The question is whether you want to go down the science approach to rationalise it or not etc. I also had seen "visions" when I was a child. I thought I saw my grandmother sat on my bed on the night that she died. I did not realise that she died, but was told only afterwards, but I felt a sense of connection towards here. I was also kind of feel "blessed" when I was a child that my family are looking after me. It is only when I started to learn more and more knowledge that it moved me away from such things. I have also not dreamt in years. I have not even slept well in years. This is how badly my Ne is affected. I mean, I'm sharing this is because I wondered if you want to remove it altogether out of your life or not.

You say that you may be an ENFP, I have a friend who is also an ENFP too. She is now taking anti-depressants. At first, I also do not believe in it. I never took it. But to her, it seems like it is bring her steady and be able to focus her mind on her medic course. She is basically taking the pills to through herself through med school cos her mind cannot function a certain way. I find that incredible, cos it is messing with her own chemistry of her brain. But, slowly she is indeed increasing her Ne more and more which enabled her to see so many things. It could be also be there for her to burn through all her emotions and all her past too. Cos she told me some of the scary things which comes to her mind and her dream. To me, I have now started to clean my life and live my life a certain way so that I do not get negativeness in my life. I hope that she can do the same as well. She has so many influences which could affect her daily Ne as well. Some of the stuff she reads. It really does affect one's psyche !

To me, I try and reconnect back now to what I know, which was more on spirituality. Than it is science. Cos this mbti thing, and everything else does not seem to have a place in my mind for it. Hence I kind of can use it, but I spiritually rejects it, which I know. Cos it does not do anything for me.

Maybe you need to figure out your own code and understanding on this. By now, I realised that when I let go of something important, my whole body actually cripples itself by emotion. Like, I was upset this week, cos a guy I was seeing mentioned something negative and I thought that it was the end. I felt my heart beat increased a lot, and I could hear it? I started crying...
Which is great, cos my Fi is coming forward. It is understanding everything together. The body's reaction, and what just happened etc.

I wonder if you can do something similar. Write down events surrounding the time that it was happening, and journal it. What the images were etc. I used to have feelings of de ja vu as well. But now it's gone. I once had a premonition, and it did happen. I did read that Ne can be psychicness...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also have a high Ne, and I don't have these problems (Although I don't know if you think these are 'problems'. They have the potential to be inspiring, I suppose, but you did claim that you were afraid as well.)

If you're in your 20s, this sounds like schizophrenia (or related) symptoms. You didn't mention seeing a doctor, other than an optometrist, which piqued my curiosity. I don't think that compulsive visions are something you can truly 'control' without medication (And even then, I'm sure there are still side effects and it might not 'take them away', if that's what you'd want.)

My advice to you is to look into lucid dreaming, mindful meditation practices, and yoga. In that order. Do some research, and try it out.

Oh, and... After that, if you are so inclined, perhaps see a medical doctor.
I've been into astral projection (lucid dreaming, same thing), meditation and yoga for a while. I already know quite a bit and have a lot more to learn.

I'm a bit concerned over this the only issue is I know how antipsychotic medications affect people and I don't want to even consider that option short of me having a serious psychotic break from reality that tells me I can't cope on my own anymore. I just don't want to become stigmatized and sedated for this.

I don't want them to go away either. They intrigue me.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I've been into astral projection (lucid dreaming, same thing), meditation and yoga for a while. I already know quite a bit and have a lot more to learn.

I'm a bit concerned over this the only issue is I know how antipsychotic medications affect people and I don't want to even consider that option short of me having a serious psychotic break from reality that tells me I can't cope on my own anymore. I just don't want to become stigmatized and sedated for this.

I don't want them to go away either. They intrigue me.
That's what I figured.

I mentioned lucid dreaming because of the possibility of astral projection/lucid dreaming, and even meditation and yoga influencing your visions. This confirms that you do these things already.

This information is probably pretty important to know in relation to your visions, because during a lucid dream, or astral projection, if you like, one is susceptible to seeing hallucinations and visions.

I don't think that it's unreasonable to assume that these practices could actually be related to the frequency of your visions, and that they leak into the waking world. If you were to cease these practices, for instance, does the frequency diminish?

It would require more research, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're not the only one who is experiencing visions while awake. Maybe the MBTI community isn't the one you should be asking about this. Maybe the lucid dreaming/OOBE community is.

However-- I don't know if this is related. But, I could see a correlation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to say, I wondered if you have that kind of psychic reader thing. The question is whether you want to go down the science approach to rationalise it or not etc. I also had seen "visions" when I was a child. I thought I saw my grandmother sat on my bed on the night that she died. I did not realise that she died, but was told only afterwards, but I felt a sense of connection towards here. I was also kind of feel "blessed" when I was a child that my family are looking after me. It is only when I started to learn more and more knowledge that it moved me away from such things. I have also not dreamt in years. I have not even slept well in years. This is how badly my Ne is affected. I mean, I'm sharing this is because I wondered if you want to remove it altogether out of your life or not.

You say that you may be an ENFP, I have a friend who is also an ENFP too. She is now taking anti-depressants. At first, I also do not believe in it. I never took it. But to her, it seems like it is bring her steady and be able to focus her mind on her medic course. She is basically taking the pills to through herself through med school cos her mind cannot function a certain way. I find that incredible, cos it is messing with her own chemistry of her brain. But, slowly she is indeed increasing her Ne more and more which enabled her to see so many things. It could be also be there for her to burn through all her emotions and all her past too. Cos she told me some of the scary things which comes to her mind and her dream. To me, I have now started to clean my life and live my life a certain way so that I do not get negativeness in my life. I hope that she can do the same as well. She has so many influences which could affect her daily Ne as well. Some of the stuff she reads. It really does affect one's psyche !

To me, I try and reconnect back now to what I know, which was more on spirituality. Than it is science. Cos this mbti thing, and everything else does not seem to have a place in my mind for it. Hence I kind of can use it, but I spiritually rejects it, which I know. Cos it does not do anything for me.

Maybe you need to figure out your own code and understanding on this. By now, I realised that when I let go of something important, my whole body actually cripples itself by emotion. Like, I was upset this week, cos a guy I was seeing mentioned something negative and I thought that it was the end. I felt my heart beat increased a lot, and I could hear it? I started crying...
Which is great, cos my Fi is coming forward. It is understanding everything together. The body's reaction, and what just happened etc.

I wonder if you can do something similar. Write down events surrounding the time that it was happening, and journal it. What the images were etc. I used to have feelings of de ja vu as well. But now it's gone. I once had a premonition, and it did happen. I did read that Ne can be psychicness...
That's a really good point I hadn't considered. I never take stock of the feelings I get when it happens. That whole bit about psych meds is why I just want to stay away from them. I've been down that road in my early teens. Mom sent me to a psychiatrist and I was fed all kinds of pills for this and that. I gained and lost 70lbs, emotions went from rage to apathy to way too happy to just a complete mess. I feel far steadier without medication.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's true that people with hallucinations and delusions have high intuition. They can be very good at "reading" others. For example, if someone is lying, they will pick it up unconsciously and then it can come up in their hallucinations (which work very similarly to dreams). But the problem is when you can't control them anymore and they start controlling you or when they become expression of your fears, not reality. So if you are scared and unsure of yourself, it might be a good idea to talk to a professional.
I've been able to frequently pick up when someone was lying but I'm so confrontational and emotional about lying that someone who is a manipulator can really give me the run-a-round if I'm not careful to reserve my suspicions, stay objective and let it play out.

Why do you use these terms to describe it? Do you believe that is what they are?
Also, do you feel fearful when you see these things ? Have you tried to meditate and find a peaceful moment when it happens?

Maybe you can understand it using your emotions.
I use those terms because, I guess I am just trying to be 'rational' but that rarely works for me. I can be logical but when it's within the framework of the authoritative paradigm of rationality it cramps my style. Always been an unconventional thinker. So maybe I'm going back to that because this is so strange and unknown for me I'm going to the realm of things considered solid by Those In Authority.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I figured.

I mentioned lucid dreaming because of the possibility of astral projection/lucid dreaming, and even meditation and yoga influencing your visions. This confirms that you do these things already.

This information is probably pretty important to know in relation to your visions, because during a lucid dream, or astral projection, if you like, one is susceptible to seeing hallucinations and visions.

I don't think that it's unreasonable to assume that these practices could actually be related to the frequency of your visions, and that they leak into the waking world. If you were to cease these practices, for instance, does the frequency diminish?

It would require more research, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're not the only one who is experiencing visions while awake. Maybe the MBTI community isn't the one you should be asking about this. Maybe the lucid dreaming/OOBE community is.

However-- I don't know if this is related. But, I could see a correlation.
No there really is no correlation. I don't do those things on any kind of regular scheduled basis. Well, I did have a yoga routine for a few months that I kept rigorously, which is impressive for my meager ability to keep a schedule. It didn't affect this though. They were what prompted me to start those practices to begin with.

·
Read Only
INTP Tritype 512
435 Posts
This thread intrigued me since I also score high on the N consistently when I take the tests.

I don't go as far as to have hallucinations, but I do have an extremely vivid imagination. I've had epic, coherent dreams all my life that play out like other lives or stories rather than rehashes of the day's events. They're awful when they're nightmares, but they also make some of my best stories. Creativity is also something I've been complimented on in life, and not just as a manifestation of artistic skills.

I agree with @Bago that it's about finding what's normal for you. As long as your situation doesn't interfere with your daily life to the point you can't meet your survival needs, there's no reason to label yourself as schizophrenic or go towards medications.

In my case, I genuinely have a physical illness, and I'm honestly not sure how much of a role that's played in things for me. However, I've always followed this innate feeling of what's "off" and what's "normal," for me even in this regard. I still use a minimum of medications.

Personally, I find channeling this Ne into something (writing, music, drawing) helps with the random pop-ups, for lack of a better way to put it. I hope that makes sense. I've found that, for me, drawing is more a form of meditation than a skill.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I must urge you OP not to deal so much in absolutes. If something is perceived as occurring, accepting but not attempting to deal with it and instead regarding it as something unchangeable is a very unhealthy affair indeed.

I would start with self questioning. It has been a long and tiring process for me since childhood of controlling my over active imagination (high Ne if you want to call it that).

Like for example as a child if I was told or exposed to scary stories and the like, I would later internalize it and then subsequently visualize it in my environment. Not the funnest of moments I can tell you.

Self questioning starts with dealing with the boundaries that separate ones thoughts and senses. That is to say, understanding something solely with one's 5 senses while limiting interaction with one's thought processes.

Get in the habit of immediately questioning what you see, feel or experience.

Next get into activities that engage your senses while making use of your imagination. This works with all forms of self expression dependent of course on the ones you are comfortable with.

Also sometimes I use things like music to keep my senses occupied while still doing engaging tasks.

All these little things have over time greatly reduced the effects of my overactive mind.

Still while I'm sure no one talking to you on this thread is professionally qualified (myself included of course) I would ask you to seek help if things are consistently getting out of hand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts