Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would a 6w5 with a preference for extroversion be like? The typical description of a 6w5 seems to presume introversion.
Thanks.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
>.> well there can be only one kind of extroversion and that would be: being energized by the external world and losing energy once one has to spend time by oneself.

If the question is about how social the 6w5 can be, then one would have to consider the definition of what type 5 is and work around that. 5s in general are not the most social ppl, thou they can be extrovert if we use the proper definition for what an extrovert is.

A social 5 is still an OBSERVER. One Social dom 5 noted that he knew all the people in his class, who they were and what their names were. He gathered knowledge about them. (imo thats a bit creepy aaand boring but there you have it). Its interesting to note that among type 6 ppl especially self preservation subtypes are the most social. (as a means of protecting the self) This sort of means that the subtypes have little influence over this sort of thing.

....damn why do I have such an analitical means of approaching this shit if I'm a Fi user in MBTI?...odd

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Its interesting to note that among type 6 ppl especially self preservation subtypes are the most social. (as a means of protecting the self) This sort of means that the subtypes have little influence over this sort of thing.
I'm not sure I agree with SP6 = most sociable 6. Most personable, sure, maybe. I am certainly very cordial when I interact with strangers and acquaintances, as is my mom (sp/so 6w7). But I also detach a lot, which can look 5ish but is actually just "conservation of energy" stemming from super-strong SP. I do think SP influences why I can look SP/SO sometimes, but I don't find actual long-term security in a group like the stereotypical SO(/SP?) 6 would. My mom isn't really group-oriented either -- she's an introvert -- but she's so much more involved in family stuff than me.

I do agree that the instincts don't necessarily dictate how sociable you are, though. They're hard to understand xD

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with SP6 = most sociable 6. Most personable, sure, maybe. I am certainly very cordial when I interact with strangers and acquaintances, as is my mom (sp/so 6w7). But I also detach a lot, which can look 5ish but is actually just "conservation of energy" stemming from super-strong SP. I do think SP influences why I can look SP/SO sometimes, but I don't find actual long-term security in a group like the stereotypical SO(/SP?) 6 would. My mom isn't really group-oriented either -- she's an introvert -- but she's so much more involved in family stuff than me.

I do agree that the instincts don't necessarily dictate how sociable you are, though. They're hard to understand xD
I guess yeah. Idk, I'm social first and I'm honestly not very interested in other people it seems -.-, groups aren't safe, more like they cause discomfort and irritation, not very vested in family either, can't even maintain proper one to one relationships. *sigh* the social side of things is always the hardest, always stuff i don't get, not being aware of any social need, then suddenly loneliness is killing me and so on. No idea hw to manage this sphere of life, its important because people are social creatures, but its the hardest. If its not social anxiety, then its general lack of interest and not feeling like putting in the effort.

Thats why I said social first type 6 may not be social at all.

·
Registered
390 Posts
OP: Maybe I am thinking about this wrong but I had always associated 6w5 with just a preference to deal with problems and fears on one's own, rather than looking to the external environment to dissipate those fears. This doesn't exclude extroversion, which is far more than reaction to said fears and insecurities.

Oy, I can relate to that. I think I am sp/so, though, but I tend to fall in and out of groups since I do not fixate on them as much as myself. I am friendly to just about everyone but I am alone 99% of the time. I think my mother is 6w7 so/sp (also introvert) and SO much interest in the family. Of course, that goes both ways - now she's realized certain members of my family are not deserving of her trust, so she has dropped them completely.

Idk, I'm social first and I'm honestly not very interested in other people it seems -.-, groups aren't safe, more like they cause discomfort and irritation, not very vested in family either, can't even maintain proper one to one relationships. *sigh* the social side of things is always the hardest, always stuff i don't get, not being aware of any social need, then suddenly loneliness is killing me and so on. No idea hw to manage this sphere of life, its important because people are social creatures, but its the hardest. If its not social anxiety, then its general lack of interest and not feeling like putting in the effort.
Continuing with what I said before, sort of: I considered being social first once, and not because I was interested in being part of groups but actually because I was constantly questioning and evaluating social roles, where I and others belonged in a group, etc. I have issues with maintaining relationships too. I feel I have a conflicting push-pull relationship with others - I want to be close to people because I get lonely, but then I start questioning my relationship with them and then I break away again. I have no idea why so I just try to stop thinking about it :(

Of course, now I am thinking about it. Damn >_<

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it appears that rather than being an introversion/extraversion issue for 6w5 vs. 6w7, it is an issue regarding how one deals with anxiety.. the 6w5 takes his/her anxiety inward and the 6w7 takes it outward.

Also regarding instincts, I am a strong social-first type but I am not the most group-eager person, in fact, I go for one-on-one interactions whenever I can which I hear is more so the style of the so/sx. I find social-first types are the most aware of social dynamics and are best able to predict how a group of people will act. They also tend to be the most interested in political/social issues.. while the sp types only take an interest when there is financial/personal gain and the sx types only take an interest if it is particularly passion-inducing.

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on what I have been reading, I am guessing that I am probably a hyper-intellectual 6w7.
When I get anxious, I often look to the outside world for guidance (particularly, those I can trust).

The 3w2 adds a shade of coolness to my exterior and the 1w9 adds more of the critical aspect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts