Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do extroverts with social anxiety tend to mistype as introverts? What are some signs that someone with social anxiety might be an extrovert?

·
Registered
930 Posts
An extrovert with social anxiety would WANT to go out and interract with lots of people, have loads of friends and go to parties/bars etc, but would feel to scared to do so out of fear of rejection or appearing awkward or getting hurt, or just feeling held back by something. The lack of a busy social life would upset them.

An introvert would be perfectly happy with just having a couple close friends and going out occassionally =)

·
Registered
51 Posts
An extrovert with social anxiety would WANT to go out and interract with lots of people, have loads of friends and go to parties/bars etc, but would feel to scared to do so out of fear of rejection or appearing awkward or getting hurt, or just feeling held back by something. The lack of a busy social life would upset them.

An introvert would be perfectly happy with just having a couple close friends and going out occassionally =)
I could see this for Ps. I have heard that the main difference between IxTJs and ExTJs is the amount of energy they have to put into their work. I know a couple ESTJs that are very forceful and energetic in work and family matters, but get real "introverted" in non-work related social situations. They are definitely Es but have no interest in going out and partying.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Signs? Getting drunk and then talking a lot. When the extrovert is allowed free without inhibition. I definitely think there are many shy people who long to be extroverts, but can't in normal circumstances. I am somewhat like this.

Reactions: TheAfterglow

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety. I used to think I'm an INFP, but now I think I'm an ENFP. All the MBTI tests I've taken had questions like "Are you shy?" and "Are you sociable?" so it threw my answers off. Also, I was just about to start a thread like this :kitteh:

I always crave attention and when I'm among close friends (which is usually during lunch because I'm forced to stay at home because I'm not trusted by my parents), I'm the wildest one there, but in class, I'm usually the quietest one, and I'm always afraid to contribute (which sucks because that's important in school). I'd like to talk to people about what I think, but I'm afraid that my ideas will be rejected. I'm usually forced to tell my younger brother (who's 10) about everything, but recently, I haven't been able to trust him with my secrets because he's starting to use it against me... After no interaction after a couple minutes (including texting, Facebook, etc.), I get depressed. I enjoy talking to strangers on Omegle, because they can't judge me, unless I tell them anything personal (I usually don't) and they can be really interesting :laughing:

·
Registered
33 Posts
When they feel shy around other people

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know of someone who is an extravert, and he's told me he's dealt with a lot of social anxiety and shyness. He is probably mistaken for an introvert most of the time.

I guess the main thing to look for would be that once they've gotten comfortable and have opened up to you, they would be energized from socializing and would want to keep going, as opposed to an introvert who would get tired after a while and need to withdraw and recharge.

·
Banned
465 Posts
That was me in my teenage years. I was much more open and purely extroverted as a younger kid, but something happened that made me much more anxious and reserved, leading me to believe I was an introvert. However, it's gotten a lot better now. I can still at times appear more introverted, but that's because ENTPs tend to look that way more than most other extroverts. Plus, I know where I get my energy from, and I get bored out of my mind being simply alone with my thoughts all the time.

I guess the main thing to look for would be that once they've gotten comfortable and have opened up to you, they would be energized from socializing and would want to keep going, as opposed to an introvert who would get tired after a while and need to withdraw and recharge.
^This. It's all about the energy.

Reactions: TheAfterglow
1 - 9 of 9 Posts