Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed certain extroverted types tend to be drawn towards being a loner or general independence more so than some introverts. For example, I've noticed that a good amount of ENTPs and ESTPs (especially ENTPs) tend to have lots of acquaintances and pretty decent social skills, but really don't have a need to be a part of some group or clique. I would mention ENFPs too, but they seem to have a much easier time connecting with others than I do. But who knows, maybe they feel the same way. It seems like ExTPs value people for the experience they get with the person, rather than the person themselves. Like they often have activity partners to fill the need to socialize, but that might be the extent of the friendship.

On the flip side, ISFJs and INFJs seem to have a circle of really close friends that they guard with their life. Now obviously the culprit here is probably Fe, and the higher it is on your function stack the more likely you are to probably need/seek others you can relate to. But I find it funny that how I'm technically an extrovert, I'm not really fond of being a part of a group of people and the social ramifications that come with that. That could have a lot to do with my flakiness and tendency to just drop off the face of the Earth for a while too.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
I'm an ESFJ and I'm a loner but not because I want to be

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I think part of this lies in attachment styles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well Extraversion isn't so much about people as it is grasping the object and influencing or seeking it, and people just happen to be an aspect of that world, I think. Group dynamics can be perceived poorly by anyone potentially... but you're right, Fe most actively seeks it I would guess.

It's funny, yes, but I expect that's down to more of a mischaracterisation of E/I than anything.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've noticed that a good amount of ENTPs and ESTPs (especially ENTPs) tend to have lots of acquaintances and pretty decent social skills, but really don't have a need to be a part of some group or clique.
It seems like ExTPs value people for the experience they get with the person, rather than the person themselves. Like they often have activity partners to fill the need to socialize, but that might be the extent of the friendship.
That describes me perfectly.
I have a wide circle of friends, but very few of them are really close to me (I have, like, 2 or 3 close friends).

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Not all loners are introverts. Some are just misanthropes. Specifically, ESTJs.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've noticed certain extroverted types tend to be drawn towards being a loner or general independence more so than some introverts. For example, I've noticed that a good amount of ENTPs and ESTPs (especially ENTPs) tend to have lots of acquaintances and pretty decent social skills, but really don't have a need to be a part of some group or clique. I would mention ENFPs too, but they seem to have a much easier time connecting with others than I do. But who knows, maybe they feel the same way. It seems like ExTPs value people for the experience they get with the person, rather than the person themselves. Like they often have activity partners to fill the need to socialize, but that might be the extent of the friendship.

On the flip side, ISFJs and INFJs seem to have a circle of really close friends that they guard with their life. Now obviously the culprit here is probably Fe, and the higher it is on your function stack the more likely you are to probably need/seek others you can relate to. But I find it funny that how I'm technically an extrovert, I'm not really fond of being a part of a group of people and the social ramifications that come with that. That could have a lot to do with my flakiness and tendency to just drop off the face of the Earth for a while too.
I can relate to everything you said. The dropping off the face of the Earth thing I call submarine mode, having been in the Navy and all. I have no qualms about entering submarine mode for prolonged periods of time, possibly forever if I have to. I wish I could do it more often. I haven't been able to do it in a long time because of my current situation. But that's when I inundate myself with books and the building and acquisition of knowledge and skills. Plus I hate people sometimes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
On the flip side, Introverts can tend to be socially confident and gregarious, before they retreat to there hermit shells due to exhaustion.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Personally, i usually LOVE introverts sometimes even envy :) anyways most girls that i go after are introverts or alot of my friends are introverts because ehh i suppose its a mix of things but i love being able to be a "best friend" to alot of people I cant count how many people have told me "ive only known you for a little while but i feel like i can trust you so well or like weve been friends for a long time" i think its fun to befriend introverts because sometimes its a challenge, anyways introverted girls are such a turn on for me most the time, i love introverts :3

#ImAEnfj:3

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
ENFPs are truly puzzling creatures (which is why I like them). They're definitely extroverted, but I would say that they're probably the most "introverted extroverts". An ENFP friend of mine described it as having an extroversion meter and and an introversion one, with their extroverted one being the dominant. I suppose that their extroversion mostly applies to the world of "doing" rather than to people. That much could probably be said of ExTPs, too. My ENFP boyfriend loves going on adventures and exploring new things, but he has a pretty small circle of friends (I'm pretty much the person that he hangs out with the most), which is his preference.

The inverse is true of INFJs -- I would say that our introversion is more applied to how our minds work rather than how we deal with people. I love people. They drain me of my energy, but I do love them by default (Fe). Even still, most of what goes on in my head stays in my head, and I'm hesitant to express my thoughts. It's not an insecurity problem, I just don't see the use in it. My thoughts are happy enough where they are; in my head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.