Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i am stuck in the middle of extroverts or extraverted situations
i often witness myself being infringed upon my own unique introverted qualities
my good sides gets masked / hidden / manipulated / shadowed / distorted by their own extraverted values
and it annoys me a lot actually
because very often extroverts tend to generalise that extraversion is some sort of virtue.. and really smear over their loud, expressive, insensitive stuff all over.. visually, aurally contextually and so on
and try to make one feel that introversion is something that one should be ashamed of or rectify which is of course utter bullshit..
(this happens more frequently in south korea because it is a very haphazard, hectic, order-less, totalitarian, content-less, empty at once chaotic, crowded, loud, troublesome, stressful place.. i think countries like spain or italy or brazil or mexico has similar tendency towards extraversion)

when i communiate with introverted folks i find more subjects or individualities valid
but with extroverts i find my emotions being severly limited

so i was wondering
have u ever experienced similar situations? in group situations when extroverted people tend to mask your good sides with their rigid / twisted extroverted values and take away your credit? and try to justify that by all means? because there certainly are various perspectives that can co-exist in harmony and respect i think..

again, i am not generalising that this applies to all extroverts but with most of them i witnessed this sort of masking effect when they justify their own tendencies over introverted characteristics

·
Registered
713 Posts
I sometimes feel like that, but to a much lesser extent, and I mostly feel like that when I'm out in the world, not amongst my circle of fiends (who generally tend to be more understanding and accepting of introversion even if they are extroverted).

Outside my circle of friends, extroverts don't see me as normal and ask what's wrong if I'm quiet or choose to observe rather than participate. I have one friend who talks my head off and leaves very few pauses in conversations. I get overwhelmed by this and sometimes speak up for myself and need to take breaks or just get away from that kind of situation.When I speak up, she isn't very understanding of me being overwhelmed and she isn't very understanding when I choose not to disclose personal information and is kind of clueless as to why I'm not more talkative and open like she is and she thinks her approach ideal and that I should change mine. I see this attitude outside my circle too. It's annoying and can sometimes be overwhelming but I don't find myself in bad situations all too often.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"In group situations when extroverted people tend to mask your good sides with their rigid / twisted extroverted values and take away your credit? and try to justify that by all means? because there certainly are various perspectives that can co-exist in harmony and respect i think.."

Absolutely. But it's useless trying to get through to them if they aren't willing to shut up long enough to listen. Not hear, but listen. Rarely do I want to bother expending a lot of energy explaining myself when it's met with clueless blinking. Even on online forums (not this one of course!), the loudest/most aggressive ppl will continue to argue their point against yours while admitting they didn't take the time to even read what you wrote. HUH?

And I enjoy a good debate now & then but contradiction for the sake of someone's ego is meaningless to me. That might be the key, perhaps extroverts are more ego-oriented than us? Just a thought.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I try to be understanding of their ignorance but this annoys me too bc they are completely inaccurate with the info they are blabbing everywhere. ofc my introverted biases also cloud my view of extraverts but I rarely try to reel them in for more down time, or make it known to a lot of people that they need certain things fixed. I wish I could just say I refuse to "fix" myself and they can continue to look bitchy for all I care, but my biases don't interfere with their social reputation as much as theirs do mine, not just in relationships but career wise and that's the most frustrating thing. I think extraverts do realise amongst themselves that there are negatives to such gregarious traits as I do with isolation tendencies, it's just easier to try and protect your ego most of the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think mostly that extroverts extrovert what lies inside their mind. So if it is quality they will extrovert quality, and if they are unhealty or let's say stupid or ignorant they will extravert stupidity. My opinion is: to be too much extroverted is a curse where they will never realize the true nature of things/reality because they are always busy with extraverting what lies inside of them and that i suppose isn't much if there is not a lot of introspection. I hope this does't sound offensive. :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
On a completely unrelated note...

... Anybody else noticing an increase in our numbers lately?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I find that extroverts often seem completely unaware of the effect they are having on others including on other extroverts. Their tendency to assume that they know what you are about to say and finish sentences for you is very irritating particularly in a meeting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts