Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've met a man that I can't figure out for the life of me, but he has absolutely swept me off my feet!

He's definitely an E, but that's where the certainty ends. I've used an iphone app to try to determine his type, and it's telling me that he's either ESTP, ENFJ, ESTJ, or ESFJ.

Some info:

Si/Se: He is traditional, and I've heard him say that he's "old school" many times. He is moved by things that have a deep meaning and are connected to the past (his past as well as my past). HOWEVER, he's also told me about times when he's jumped off a bridge naked, or decided at a moment's notice to take a long, trip without any plans of exactly where he's going or when he'll return (these trips happened when he was younger and he doesn't do this now).

Fi/Fe: He's Fe all the way. He loves doing for others, very much a protector and guardian. Loves cooking for his group of friends, and he often doesn't eat until everyone else is finished. Springs to life when anyone close to him needs anything. Focused on the needs of others.

Ti/Te: I think he's Ti

Ni/Ne: Not sure

Part of the confusion is that when he's with me and with his other close friends, he is one type; but when he's on the job (he's part owner in a construction company), he is a different type. On the job, he's a pretty hardcore, get-it-done, no room for nonsense, don't waste my time kind of person. All business and focused on production. There's no room for touchy-feely stuff, he's not worried about pissing anyone off or hurting their feelings. Just get the job done right, and get it done as quickly as possible.

He notices details, doesn't seem to miss anything...ever. Can be having a conversation and tell you exactly what was just said on the radio at the same time. Attentive to everything that's going on around him.

Strong value system.

With me, he's a hopeless romantic. Few have seen him cry, but he has let me past that wall. He's open and direct (which is a breath of fresh air for me). He sends me a text with a different picture of flowers every day. For the past 18 years, he has missed very few days of work; but since we've met, neither of us can focus on the responsibilities we had previously placed a very high priority on. He's taken off work for most of the past four weeks.

Words I would use to describe him when he's with close friends:

Loyal
Attentive
Protective
Involved
Giving
Talkative
Outgoing
Servant
Empathetic
Direct
Open

Words I would use to describe him when he's at work:

Dedicated
No nonsense
Driving
Closed
Direct
Unapproachable

Anyone have some insight???

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Impossible to type from such a biased perspective.
I would guess ESTP.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've met a man that I can't figure out for the life of me, but he has absolutely swept me off my feet!

He's definitely an E, but that's where the certainty ends. I've used an iphone app to try to determine his type, and it's telling me that he's either ESTP, ENFJ, ESTJ, or ESFJ.

Some info:

Si/Se: He is traditional, and I've heard him say that he's "old school" many times. He is moved by things that have a deep meaning and are connected to the past (his past as well as my past). HOWEVER, he's also told me about times when he's jumped off a bridge naked, or decided at a moment's notice to take a long, trip without any plans of exactly where he's going or when he'll return (these trips happened when he was younger and he doesn't do this now).

Fi/Fe: He's Fe all the way. He loves doing for others, very much a protector and guardian. Loves cooking for his group of friends, and he often doesn't eat until everyone else is finished. Springs to life when anyone close to him needs anything. Focused on the needs of others.

Ti/Te: I think he's Ti

Ni/Ne: Not sure

Part of the confusion is that when he's with me and with his other close friends, he is one type; but when he's on the job (he's part owner in a construction company), he is a different type. On the job, he's a pretty hardcore, get-it-done, no room for nonsense, don't waste my time kind of person. All business and focused on production. There's no room for touchy-feely stuff, he's not worried about pissing anyone off or hurting their feelings. Just get the job done right, and get it done as quickly as possible.

He notices details, doesn't seem to miss anything...ever. Can be having a conversation and tell you exactly what was just said on the radio at the same time. Attentive to everything that's going on around him.

Strong value system.

With me, he's a hopeless romantic. Few have seen him cry, but he has let me past that wall. He's open and direct (which is a breath of fresh air for me). He sends me a text with a different picture of flowers every day. For the past 18 years, he has missed very few days of work; but since we've met, neither of us can focus on the responsibilities we had previously placed a very high priority on. He's taken off work for most of the past four weeks.

Words I would use to describe him when he's with close friends:

Loyal
Attentive
Protective
Involved
Giving
Talkative
Outgoing
Servant
Empathetic
Direct
Open

Words I would use to describe him when he's at work:

Dedicated
No nonsense
Driving
Closed
Direct
Unapproachable

Anyone have some insight???

Bolded bits above sound ESTP to me.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Either ESTP or ENTP. Sounds kind of like my ENTP ex ennegram type 3 'workaholic' especially the parts you listed about no-nonsense approach at work and this chameleoning thing when he is with you or close friends. By your description he switches between logic and feeling functions at ease. For both ESTPs and ENTPs the feeling and logic functions are close together:
ESTP - Se Ti Fe Ni
ENTP - Ne Ti Fe Si

So you'll have to determine whether his primary function is Se or Ne to tell the two apart. ESTPs are Se dominant and their inferior function is Ni. ENTPs are Ne dominant and their inferior function is Si. Because Si is their inferior function I have noticed sometimes ENTPs can have good attention to detail and also fall back to doing things that have worked for them in past.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Either ESTP or ENTP. Sounds kind of like my ENTP ex ennegram type 3 'workaholic' especially the parts you listed about no-nonsense approach at work and this chameleoning thing when he is with you or close friends. By your description he switches between logic and feeling functions at ease. For both ESTPs and ENTPs the feeling and logic functions are close together:
ESTP - Se Ti Fe Ni
ENTP - Ne Ti Fe Si

So you'll have to determine whether his primary function is Se or Ne to tell the two apart. ESTPs are Se dominant and their inferior function is Ni. ENTPs are Ne dominant and their inferior function is Si. Because Si is their inferior function I have noticed sometimes ENTPs can have good attention to detail and also fall back to doing things that have worked for them in past.
Good information. Thank you. It was confusing about the switching, but it makes sense if there are types who are known for this because their feeling and logic functions are close together. Haven't read the description of ENTP lately, so I'll go back and do that.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ESTP - Se Ti Fe Ni
ENTP - Ne Ti Fe Si

After reading several ENTP portraits, I think this type may fit him best.

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a few months of getting to know him, I'm sure my boyfriend is an ENTP. I've read where our types are natural partners; and for us, it seems to be absolutely true. We're almost always on the same page with little or no effort, but we are different enough to keep things interesting. He can be spontaneous, hilarious, crude, judgmental, boisterous, pissed off, engaging, and gentle...all within a relatively short period of time. I'm usually on an even keel; but when he's around, I know we're going for a ride. He's 6'4", but I sometimes think his personality is still far too big for his body.

I absolutely adore him, and the feelings are mutual. The loyalty of an INFJ is hard to match, but I found it in this ENTP. The statements I made earlier about his being protective still hold true. I've never seen it to this degree in anyone else but my INTP father. Doesn't mean that other types aren't protective, because I'm very protective as well. He, however, is off the chart; and I've learned that I have to be careful not to complain about others a lot, since he has a tendency to want to rip heads off the offenders.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble...this comment might be better said in the "relationships" section of either INFJ or ENTP. I mainly just wanted to provide an update on the O/P. Thank you, Vel, for leading me in the right direction :)

Reactions: vel
1 - 8 of 8 Posts