Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

So...let's see. My love life is quite complicated right now... I would describe myself as a sort of romantic but after a horrible break up and my inability to see it as my own fault I haven't dated in 5 years... well REALLY dated. Instead I've just kinda dated people and fallen madly in love with them and then came on too strong chased them away. Recently a girl from work (at a local pizza place I'm a cook/manager who just got promoted) and I went out on a date and I have been EXTREMELY stressed about it a few days after a first date with a girl who was a very close friend and I was completely broken she left and I didn't see her for a few days and without her I feel empty, I just want to hold her hand and be with her in what is such a hard time for her but she is interested in someone else and I'm fearful I will come on too strong again. I am a 22 year old male who is quite sleepy...

1. Click on this link: Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it. flicker: photos/mark_lj/9436338501/in/explore-2013-08-04

So yeah. This scene reminds me of like... north eastern Canada like Newfoundland which I've always been fond of such a pretty place. It also looks all... shire-y which is great. The scene looks bright but the clouds cover overhead... it's almost like a metaphor... like the green colours below remind you of warmth and happiness but the overcast skies speak of the looming shadow that is our constant ability to lapse into some rainy, dark realm... not that I stay there for long but sometimes a bit of rain makes the sun shine that much brighter no?

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Oh crap is the first thing I think. As the leader of this group I would take charge seeing if we had the means to solve the problem and if not then try to call in help... if someone has more "social pressure" than me then I would let them handle it, also I'm not going to fix it or likely help unless I'm needed I'm crap with cars, anxiety rules my because of my clumsiness so I don't even drive and I hate to get dirty if I don't have to... or if getting dirty doesn't sound fun... because sometimes it does.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Hell yeah. I mean look I'm not one for getting shitfaced or doing drugs that will get me in prison the next morning but yeah... all for that stuff. I like to be around people but often I don't have as much social pressure as other people so I can't be too assertive or anything but yeah... hopefully I meet someone new and it's awesome and we have some great convo.
4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Ok I just talked to a friend about this actually. The thing is it depends on what it is, sure if he says that he feels that my favorite restaurant sucks it's no big deal, I may wonder why and try to probe them on what it is they hate about it so I can see it from their point of view but yeah. Now if it's religion or politics? I would probably react the same way but in this case I would be careful because probing questions about beliefs can lead to... arguments and not they "growing as people" kind.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Sometimes I can have a visceral reaction like I used to live in a Zen Monastery and when I realized that my step-dad was really dying and that I would have to face it, and that one day my mother and the one I love the most would all die as well and that I would likely be there to bury them it hurt because some part of me wanted so badly to believe that I would not lose those who I love so much but I saw this as truth and have buried friends and family.
6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I place great value on justice. Not the "you raped my daughter and will pay!" kind of justice but the more subtle justice of the universe I mean I feel that what the "Justice" system in our society brings us is just suffering to help those who suffer, I mean my friend made one mistake and now for the rest of his life he owes the government his time and money. What does that say to the value of his freedom as a man? Which is probably my greatest value, Humanity. Each of us is valuable as an individual and so many systems from the over punishing system that put my friend in 20k+ in debt for a minor burglary, to the system of evaluation used by my old sales job that put numbers before names just rip the humanity from people crushing them into nothing. I value that because I do... I don't know why but my earliest memories are of this value guiding me forward. First I wanted myself to be free of these systems that try to manage the humanity out of you and slowly I developed this into a want to help others even to the exclusion of myself.
7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) I tend to be this sort of intoverted extrovert which is kinda unique where I will need and I mean NEED human interaction and love, but like I really also need alone time like to the extent where I go out party all night come home and sleep all day and hide in my little cave. I also tend to be more genuine than most... I mean not that I think I am but people call spending time with me as "Intense" I tend to not beat around talking about weather when I speak I tend to be... a drama queen. Everything is important and your life and what you have to say means something to me. I don't feel I explained this well enough perhaps I'll have to come back to this question after people point out some stuff...B) I wish I could listen more and talk less... like I have to talk to think and so I usually rattle on for too long. I also come off as arrogant because of this. I genuinely want to hear what you have to say and don't want to take up all the talk time but to get what I want across... it's like I'm having 1000 thoughts a second and I have to pick my favorites and that leads to me being long winded when I don't mean to be

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

If I have a hunch I treat it with some doubt but not a ton because seems like 9/10 times I'm right. Like I was thinking about my relationship woes and I had this gut feeling that I was going to injure myself because I was cutting dough and I didn't listen to it because hey love is more important than not cutting yourself with a knife and it was almost as if I saw it before it happened... and I cut a large chunk of finger off... yeah... I listen to hunches and when I don't it's like Yes Man everything goes wrong.
9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) I like talking. Like being around people and talking about my thoughts and feelings and being with people (can I sell you extrovert harder?) I think one of the most energizing things though other than talking about cool ideas and making jokes with friends is laying in bed cuddled up to the one you love for a few hours, everything just seems to melt away and I go back to work so rested. b) seeing people mistreated drains me FAST like only a few jerks a day and I'm done. I get tired when I have to do things as well like I seem to have less physical endurance than most of my coworkers even though I'm fitter than a few of them... not alot of them ok I have gut, I'm workin' on it it's just harder because I'm... well I'm not middle aged man I just suck at self discipline.
10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I try to be less "gushy" I can come on strong it's a problem because not everyone wants someone to ask them about how their father's need for them to be perfect hurts them and so I have to not ask them too much stuff like that. I also tend to just be overly emotional all the time my friend calls it being rarity (MLP:FIM) when I will just take everything and make it soooooo important and I obsess over nothing but especially love like I will talk for like 6 hours straight about this problem I'm having with the girl from work but it's just because I need to think out loud and need help organizing my thoughts so I don't mess up and end up telling her I love her and want to be with her forever even though I just met her... so yeah.

Sorry for the poor formatting please don't hate me -_-.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You have already mentioned you are an Extrovert and your answers back that up.

You are definately NF (meaning an Idealist from Keirsey's Temperaments), I saw that straight away and everything you said kept hammering me over the head with that!

I think you are a J because your answer to 8 sounds like Ni, and there's a strong sense of Fe throughout (as far as I can tell, I've only used cognitive functions for typing a couple of times).

So I'd say you're an ENFJ. Although I know no extroverted Idealists so I have no real-life comparisons, but that's my guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying!

Well I've taken the MBTI assessment and was typed as an ENFP, which the whole Ne thing makes sense but I really think I have Fe so... yeah definitely could see ENFJ. My only worry is on the post by Wakachi about typing yourself said:
"B) You're not likely an "N"

Everyone theorizes, generalizes or have some idea of how the world works. And most importantly, understanding is pertinent in terms of every learning style. The next time you put in "I prefer theorizing" even though you're secretly uncertain if you're really an ENTP, consider putting more details or context. People will sniff you out regardless of what you write.

Technically everyone has at least some ability to think abstractly and notice that there's an underline in thisword (and not the other one)."
and that makes me kinda wonder if I am. Also like 90% of my family is SJ so... they can rub off on me I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would also have to say ENFJ.. what is said next is not to be mean it is just a statement that of why I think you are a ENFJ..
You sound like my ex-wife.. hole shit.. like word for word.. if she hadnt already moved on i would try and hook you up... and she had a hard time testing too. She would always have an E but the others would change with her mood...
Also It may have just been me.. but I dont really think so.. never go for a NT types.. there not going to make you happy, and if it makes a diff.. My Ex is with an ENFJ.. They do vary well together, when you all fall you fall fast and strong..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of my best friends is an INTP so I understand where you are coming from.. definitely this like ever changing mood thing where I tend to soak in what's going on emotionally around me. In fact I have another NT friend who I describe his presence as an emotional void.. thank you for the help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright looking for one more opinion on this anyone else want to weigh in? I think of myself as an Ne user because I tend to be a lot.. well I can't sit still for like 15 minutes and like at work I'm a manager and when my boss was like being a manager is like being a regular employee who can't stay in one spot for more than 10 minutes and he was like that's hell and I was like you just told me what heaven is like... so yeah that seems both more P and more Ne to me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wouldn't say that being restless implies Ne or P at all; Ne is about brainstorming and trying to come up with as many options as possible, whereas Ni is more about having a focussed "mind's eye" and being able to come up with the correct solution/idea from seemingly nowhere.

Restlessness could even be your "J" wanting to keep tabs on everything... come to think of it, you didn't really explain WHY you can't sit still for 15 minutes so that doesn't give me much to go on... but on the face of it I don't think that is any reason to doubt being typed as ENFJ.

Perhaps if you could explain how you think you relate to the Ne function, and how you think the "sitting still for 15 minutes" relates to that? I could probably give you a better answer then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny enough as... odd as the difference between Ne and Ni is it's probably easier to determine if I have Fe or Fi... let's look up some descriptions... from Tridentus:
Most Common Negatives:
People who use Fe tend to side with the majority, leading them to be the types more likely to act like sheep.
Fe users are sometimes bullies because they believe the moral code of the majority is the more important. It's harder for them to be subjective.
and then this is contrasted by Fi and how it sides with itself leading to a more stubborn person... well for this although I am hyper aware of others emotions it could be as Tridentus describes Fi knowing how others make you feel... I don't know... but this siding with the majority thing is odd because I usually stand firmly against the majority that being my SJ parents or the SJ society we live in I tend to stand apart and against that for the most part. Ubuntu from the same post says:
I think this can be true for both Fe and Fi.

People who use Fe are hyper aware of others' feelings
People who use Fi are hyper aware of how others make them feel
(this is the most confusing distinction, as they often lead to the same result)

-People who use Fi can also be aware of other people's feelings, especially if they can relate to their situation.
Now don't take me using other peoples arguments as Fe... but I just don't really know what Fe is so I need to look it up and that's the information I found if you find it incorrect then by all means correct it or give me a better source I just thought that you would prefer to know where this info is coming. I definitely find that I can't really relate to things I don't know about like for instance I've never had a kid and I didn't know what it was like to have one at age 16 like my mom so when she complains about it I can only feign sympathy because I don't really understand what that's like... It takes some imagining to do... but an idea that perhaps why I'm noticing my feelings a lot more lately and I seem to becoming more extroverted the last few years is I'm developing my Fe and this is why I don't know how to emote with people perfectly... what I'm saying is, is it possible I don't resonate with being an ENFJ because I'm an INFJ who is stretching his Fe muscles more that often lately... I have been really drained all the time... but talking to people does give me energy and when I lived at the Zen Monastery I had this issue where I could not stand our oaths of silence because I just need to talk to people.. maybe not for energy but because I love to talk -_-... ugh... but see that little insight right there is kinda Ni ish... /cry just new to MBTI and trying to wrap my head around it in doses. Also though ENFPs have Te and their third funtion and my writing seems... Te to me like it's coming out of my head and my thoughts are external... maybe that's Fe too...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On youtube: watch?v=MEl4WcWhXOU this girl is a ton like me if she is an INFJ... I maybe because this is like hauntingly similar to me. specifically my grandma always called me an old soul my roomate calls me an 80 year old man stuck in a 20 year old body... and my Dad often asks me what I think of something... hell my grandpa wonders if I think he's doing the right thing... ok so I got a little carried away with that... still that is... wow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts