Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watch people often, and one of the most interesting things that I notice is that certain people, when talking to others, never look around. I could be staring at them, and they would never notice. On the other hand, certain people can feel the gaze on them. I would look at them, or start staring or something, and they would (after a few seconds or so) look up and make eye contact with me.

I'm the latter person. I always know when someone is looking at me; or at least, when I'm sitting down doing something or talking to someone, I'm aware of my environment. I'm always scanning.

Why do you think this is? Do you believe this could be correlated with certain cognitive functions?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I never look at people when I talk to them unless I am really angry. It just feels confrontational to me. However, I am glued to them while the other person is speaking. ENTP.

I'd think eye contact would owe to culture and upbringing as much as anything. There are significant differences.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never look at people when I talk to them unless I am really angry. It just feels confrontational to me. However, I am glued to them while the other person is speaking. ENTP.

I'd think eye contact would owe to culture and upbringing as much as anything. There are significant differences.
Huh. Yeah, I know eye contact definitely has some culturally roots as well, but even so we should be able to come up with some understanding or connection to cognition.

I think that's interesting, though. I make eye contact quite often, actually. And I've gotten to become more comfortable staring at people (just not those that I think are very attractive).

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
I guess I kinda look away from people when I'm talking to them -- I didn't realize I did it, but my dad recently started taking offense and saying "Never mind, you're not listening" so I have noticed how often it occurs. I guess I feel uncomfortable looking people straight on, like I am putting pressure on them or something, but I guess it is rude so I am trying to work on it. (I don't know if this is a new habit of mine, or if my dad is just suddenly sensitive to it, but it feels really unnatural to look someone straight in the face for a long period of time when they are talking or I am talking to them; apparently I have confused people before by speaking without directly looking at them).
Note: but if someone is making a speech or something, I will generally just look at them the whole time.
I tend to be aware of where other people are looking but I do not acknowledge it. If I feel like someone is staring at me I will just look everywhere but where they are.

·
The Cooliest
7,635 Posts
I guess it varies on the person. Although I often feel or notice people staring at me when they do. I think it might have to do with a personal space kind of thing, or an anxiety. It sounds like an extraverted perceiving function maybe. Or just a dominant e function I guess.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,408 Posts
Do you think the people who don't look don't see you or don't care?

It could make a difference if it was related to functions, in that they're either so absorbed in what's happening they have a tunnel vision effect or they just ignore it. Both explanations are so similar that they may relate to the same function, though.

l'm not sure, l think l have kind of freakishly large/wide peripheral vision if that makes sense.

l do see a lot with it but l don't purposely scan the room, sometimes l don't actually acknowledge everything l see going on because it's not directly involved with what's happening, if l did l'd be constantly moving my head in different directions and having an ''OOOHH, BIRDS!'' kind of thing going on that could be seen as rude or distractable.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have a problem making eye contact for a long time as it is overwhelming.
When I'm talking to someone I don't give a lot of eye contact. I look for a brief second then look away or look at the person's neck level.
I always rest my eyes on the corners, the background, or the person's neck level.
I fucking hate eye contact.

Though, I'm always attentive to my surroundings even if I look like I'm thinking or talking or listening to someone. I'm very responsive as well. ^You could say this one is cognitive function related.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
here's something that Jung talked about with S vs N eyes:

When you observe a man who is working by his sense function you will see, if you look at him attentively, that the axes of his eyes have a tendency to converge and to come together at one point. When you study the expression or the eyes of intuitive people, you will see that they only glance at things -- they do not look, they radiate at things because they take in their fullness, and among the many things they perceive they get one point on the periphery of their field of vision and that is the hunch. Often you can tell from the eyes whether people are intuitive or not. When you have an intuitive attitude you usually do not observe the details. You try always to take in the whole of a situation, and then suddenly something crops up out of this wholeness. When you are a sensation type you will observe facts as they are, but then you have no intuition, simply because the two things cannot be done at the same time. It is too difficult, because the principle of the one function excludes the principle of the other function.
- The Tavistock Lectures

·
Registered
SLI, ISTJ, 1w9, 164
2,087 Posts
When I feel that someone's watching me I pretend not to notice and keep doing whatever I've been occupied with. I usually don't look for socializing, especially with strangers, and wouldn't willingly gaze at them in return as it looks like an invitation to interaction.

In case the starer wants something they can just approach me and ask, no need to try telepathic abilities on me.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
When talking to someone, I'm extremely attentive to them at the cost of everything else, and when I'm not talking to someone, I notice these weird things in the environment like you've mentioned.

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
I rarely make eye contact. I prefer observing humans from a distance. I like watching how they communicate and react to things. I immediately notice when someone is looking at me. I usually avoid looking at people in case I'll accidentally make eye contact with them. I will make eye contact with those close to me, when having an interesting conversation. Eye contact does not necessarily make me uncomfortable, but I dislike revealing myself too much. I prefer to remain at a distant level, maybe even coming off as unapproachable, but not unfriendly.

I don't know what function or type would usually do this. However, I have noticed that Se-doms and Te-doms tend to have intense and direct eye contact.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I usually don't make eye-contact because, well, I just forget about it. It doesn't come naturally to me, and by the way I'm just too focused on what's going on around me to focus on someone's eyes.
I often notice everything and all the details around me, and I'm too overwhelmed and I have to "slow down" my mind. This makes it look like I don't notice anything while, in fact, I'm noticing everything. That is how I notice that someone is looking at me. I don't have a "sixth sense" or anything like that, I just happen to notice it by chance.
Noting all these things at the same time is pretty overwhelming, that's why I have a hard time focusing unless something catches my interest (in that case, I can isolate myself and miss what's going on around me).
So yeah that's why I don't make eye-contact naturally. But, through the years, I learned that making eye-contact with someone can be a way to "connect" more directly with them or to make sure they're listening/show you're listening, therefore when I need to I do it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Someone was staring at me today. Total stranger in a coffee shop; he moved his table specifically so that he would be sitting facing me, not reading or anything. I could feel him staring at me for ten minutes and I did not make eye contact, because I figured he wanted to hit on me or something. I just kept pretending to type on my laptop. I finally left when he finished his food and just kept looking at me. People are weird.

But don't assume people don't notice when you stare at them.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I doubt this has anything to do with cognitive functions. It's just something left over from our 'lizard brain'.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I usually look at people in the eyes when we're talking. In general, like when I'm walking down the street, I look at the ground and just think about stuff.

People might think I'm sad but I'm not.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
As far as I know, looking at others is linked to which relationship you have with the owner of the lovely pair you're talking to. Looking at others hints at being dominant while never looking at others is more inferior. It's a lot more complicated than that of course, but I believe that there actually is a lot of data on this.

Not looking at others might, however, often be to focus one's thoughts. If I am concocting or explaining an idea in real time to another person, I generally try to avoid also spending energy on how I come off socially, and so I look away until I'm done talking. If this is related to functions, I'd say it's pretty INxx.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I don't like to have eye contact that is too prolonged with strangers. I only feel comfortable doing this if
1. the speaker is close to me (physical distance)
2. the speaker is close to me (relationship)
3. the speaker is very non-threatening and non-serious.

Prolonged eye contact with strangers feels not just confrontational, but it also feels sexual. It feels rude and inappropriate.

I want to tell you an anecdote.
My mother often tries to make eye contact with me when she is driving and I am sitting in the passenger seat. She likes to see my face when she's talking to me for some reason. I find this very annoying, especially while she's driving. She is one of the few people on this earth whose eye contact I cannot stand. I don't feel uncomfortable having eye contact with other people, but with her it feels very penetrating and intense. It makes me feel almost like she's scolding me or something. It feels very negative and unpleasant. It's harsh is what it is.

One time as she was trying to make eye contact with me (her driving, me in passenger's seat), we got into a wreck. :rolleyes: And she blamed it on me for not looking at her when she was trying to talk to me.​

I think often type 8s have trouble accepting responsibility for their actions and accepting blame. They view others as in their way and as an inconvenience to them. So if they're doing something and they feel inconvenienced by another person, then it must be the other person's fault if something goes wrong--regardless of whose fault it actually is.

Like if the type 8 isn't in the mood to talk to anyone, and you start trying to talk to the type 8, the type 8 would blame you for trying to talk to it if it lashed out at you. It's your fault that the 8 lashed out at you.

#myinterpretationsof8logic

^(in this way you can see that type 8 is a very emotion-driven type)

(what was this thread about again?)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts