Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As background to my question, I was having a conversation with two female friends recently, and they both suddenly chanced upon the fact that my eyelashes are long, bushy and curl upwards naturally. They both instantly asked me if I used mascara, and if so what brand. I don't. So my basic question is what is it about eyelashes, why is it desirable to have them long and curly? I honestly had never paid attention to eyelashes before. What's the appeal?

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
I think it looks strange on a male to have long curly eyelashes, but that's because it's usually uncommon. Most women with socially influenced beauty ideals usually desire to have long curly eyelashes themselves. A lack of eyelashes or very light (almost white) lashes look strange on just about anyone.

From my experience, I have not found myself anymore or less attracted to a male with long curly eyelashes.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Haha, you think that's bad, Paradox, my eyelashes are like yours but naturally light-blond in colour. So, while I'll never get accused of wearing mascara, it seems like every girl who notices them wants to chase me around with an applicator because they're like a "blank canvas" that needs painting.... :dry:

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I'm curious about this as well, sometimes I'd be hanging out with my friends and one would just exclaim 'Your eyelashes are so long!' like it's a big deal. They also ask me if I use mascara and I don't think they believe me when I say no haha.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
As background to my question, I was having a conversation with two female friends recently, and they both suddenly chanced upon the fact that my eyelashes are long, bushy and curl upwards naturally. They both instantly asked me if I used mascara, and if so what brand. I don't. So my basic question is what is it about eyelashes, why is it desirable to have them long and curly? I honestly had never paid attention to eyelashes before. What's the appeal?
Honestly i don't think i ever take noticed when i talk with people. You never know with women, because many wear fake eyelashes, as they come in different lengths. If i see a women with natural long eyelashes and they stand out, i will make a mental note about it.

And men, hum, i don't make a mental note with this feature. Men seem to notice those things, maybe ? I don't know, i've had people comment on mine, mostly women thou, weird now that i think of it .

Reactions: Paradox1987

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it seems like every girl who notices them wants to chase me around with an applicator because they're like a "blank canvas" that needs painting.... :dry:
Yup, that was what they wanted to do too, because apparently they "needed" be made more "voluminous"... :dry:

Reactions: Essay

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have long, curly eyelashes myself, which apparently some women find attractive for some reason, as I've gotten compliments from the opposite sex that I have "pretty eyes" since I was a teen, and they comment on my lashes. Like the OP, I have female friends who have asked me if I use mascara, :dry: and who have said that they were actually jealous. I understand that women find eyes attractive, though I've never understood the appeal of long eyelashes in a male either. It's annoying though on the occasions an eyelash gets in my eye.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've never really paid attention to people's eyelashes myself, but I do remember that one of the first things I noticed about my husband when I met him was that he had really long eyelashes. They're not really curly, but they are long and noticeable. He also has really expressive eyes in general -- more so than I've ever seen with anyone else -- and his eyes can make me melt in a split second, haha.

Other than that, meh, eyelashes are just eyelashes.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pics or it didn't happen
Should have so seen this coming...

Face Eyebrow Hair Forehead Nose
Face Nose Skin Hair Close-up

It's actually quite awkward to get a photo of your eyelashes you know...

I have long, curly eyelashes myself, which apparently some women find attractive for some reason, as I've gotten compliments from the opposite sex that I have "pretty eyes" since I was a teen, and they comment on my lashes. Like the OP, I have female friends who have asked me if I use mascara, :dry: and who have said that they were actually jealous. I understand that women find eyes attractive, though I've never understood the appeal of long eyelashes in a male either. It's annoying though on the occasions an eyelash gets in my eye.
I get that one too. Of all the things to be jealous about, eyelashes have always struck me as a tad strange. I know your pain, I got an eyelash under my contact lens once, on the scale of fun experiences, that stays rooted at zero...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't know why it's attractive.

I do know that my brother has the prettiest set of eyelashes I've ever seen, and I'm jealous of them. Thick, full, and curly. He wears glasses so you can't tell, and I think he's really glad he wears them for that reason. lol.

As to your question, that's a mystery. I know that women in earlier times used to dilate their eyes so that men would think that the women were aroused/excited and thus be enticed, so maybe the attraction to eyelashes is an extension of the belief that men notice eyes more than one might think? IDK.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've ALWAYS noticed people's eye lashes :p I adore eye lashes, it's one of my fav "body parts" (can you say that?)

There's something pure and vulnerable with eye lashes... can't explain it. And it's fun and interesting to just study them, watch every single little lash, it's like a piece of art.

Ok and here's a link where you can see the effect of mascara:
Dior DiorShow Iconic Mascara Before and After | Beauty Junkies Unite

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I look at eyelashes and automatically think butterfly kisses. It was cute when I was little. But imagining them perchange on places other than the cheek.... eeek!!!

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
pics or it didn't happen
Hah. I love that only took a few hours for someone to drop this line into the mix!

Don't quote me on this, since I'm just going with a SWAG at the moment. I think that the length, curl, thickness and color of eyelashes have gone from markers of health to markers of beauty. Hair health (wherever it is on your body) is a marker of general health, particularly whether or not you have hair (and where that hair is located). Hair health (again, particularly where hair is located) can also be a marker of mental health, in terms of certain mental health disorders related to stress cause people to do things like twist or pull their hair out. I've known two people who pull their eyelashes out while severely stressed. It's a bizarre coping mechanism.

At any rate, again my conjecture is simply that once upon a time, an abundance of eyelashes of certain textures and thickness was a marker of health and perhaps good genetic stock. At some point as human cultures developed, these traits also became markers of physical beauty (usually traits envied or wondered at by females to some degree or another).

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't have long eyelashes. Women desire them because they enhance the eyes. My husband, however, has gorgeous lashes and my daughters were lucky enough to get his.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I do notice eye lashes on men, if they're longer than typical. It highlights their eyes more and can look really sexy sometimes, especially if they're light blue eyes with dark dark lashes. But it's rare I see guys with lashes like that. Otherwise I don't really notice them.

I've been asked many times over the years if I wear false eye lashes and, "What do you do to your lashes to make them so long?!"
I put mascara on them. I'm not going to lie, I like having long lashes because I think they really bring out my eyes. Their length causes some glasses and eyebrow problems but not enough to really complain about it.

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,139 Posts
I LOVE long dark lashes! They emphasize the eyes naturally like eyeliners do artificially. My husband had incredible lashes and passed them on to our son. Strangely, the only naturally long lashes I have seen have always been on guys. My side of the family suffers from the sparse white type of lashes - very unfortunate and unfair.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I've met a lot of men with long lashes. I think women notice them because on a woman, they are highly desirable and thought to be really attractive. I've never heard of a girl liking a guy just for having long lashes, though they probably couldn't hurt if they enhance your facial features.

My eyelashes aren't very long, but they do have a very distinct and natural curl to them. One time a friend noticed them and asked how they got so curly if I didn't use an eyelash curler. My response: "I'm black".

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Omg I love when men have sexy long eyelashes. Guys with curly hair tend to have the eyelashes. ISTP has them, and my ESFJ ex has them. I used to love when ESFJ got out of the shower and he had little drops of water glistening on his eyelashes, it made him look so beautiful to me.

I dunno. One of those things. I also dated a guy in my late teens who had the eyelashes, and I was all stoked over them.

I think I have some kind of eyelash fetish.

I also like guyliner on certain men, so I think this is probably all connected.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts