Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Covid-19 is becoming long-term. Do you wear a mask and social distance? How do you feel about that? What do you think of government policy where you live? I'll start.

I wear a wear a mask indoors in public simply because the more people who comply, the more effective it will be. I try to avoid people who have gone back to acting normal. The law doesn't enforce DHMs where I live. All voluntary -- and losing cooperation as the state opens up.

And yes, we do have to open up. But, it irks me, the lack of measurable guidelines for "what constitutes a successful re-opening?" Is the implied criteria is "beds available in the ICU?" Whatever it is, it should be stated. "We are at X% of our cutoff." According to what criteria will DHMs be mandated?

I hate how hard it is to breathe while wearing a mask. Talking at meetings is awful. Other than that, I enjoy the anonymous look. No makeup, no smiling, no small talk. I don't miss shaking hands or standing close. Nice.

I've done some mask-free, 10 ft., outdoor friend things, single and group. I usually cook at home but buy carry-out infrequently. I don't plan to attend public venues until business models change to conform to the new reality.

I wonder how sick leave policies will play out this winter. Up until now, they've been a farce -- frowned upon for using them for common colds. Imagine, this winter: Alarm. Testing. Proof of negative.

Part of me says, we're all gonna get it before a vaccine works. I exercise two hours a day. Maybe that will help prevent it from being fatal. What's your long-term plan?

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
intjohn: You have a unique living situation that precludes some of these concerns, but still comment on the situation at large.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wear a face mask indoor in public. Help to protect myself and people living with me or in close contact with me. Outdoor, if no others are around, I don't wear a face mask. I am an INXX

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose people are burned-out talking about it. However, I was curious how many of you are thinking pro-actively of the coming cold and flu season. And, as forums go, I suspect there are some never-maskers out there. Just wanted to hear...

Meantime, here are the stats. U.S. doesn't look good.
e2607ee0-b638-11ea-af69-de178ebf44c4.png

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
<<<<<<<<<------------------take it frum a koon!

intjohn: You have a unique living situation that precludes some of these concerns, but still comment on the situation at large.
Well, I haven't posted anything for a few days, maybe a week? Idk. I've been on "Cat Detail" and going to a nearby semi remote Lake Michigan Beach where I'll also be today. BUT! Since you asked............

I live an extremely Solitary life , by choice because In general, I think most people are mindless fucking idiots who live a mindless unhealthy existence and I'm continually amazed at how most of them manage to survive on the planet for as long as what they do aahand I just don't want the stupid unhealthy fukerz anywhere near me............ mmm kay?

.............this was my attitude & lifestyle bout humanity BEFORE covid-19! Sooo there's no new plan I've needed to implement in order to adjust Jonny boy's lifestyle.

The 3 (THREE) fuking times since my return to Michigan April first (almost 3 months now) that I've had to deal with people (when I got new tires on my truck for example and had to pay for them and went to a store a couple times ) I wore a mask. I'm going to order a really good one that I've found on line that has integrated breathing vents on it. They're about $10US apiece if you buy 8 of them I think - washable upto 20 times so thats like about 160 washes - right? At an average of wearing one about once a month..........
........hmmmm I'm thinking that supply should last the rest of my fuking life.

Of course now the fukin virus is beginning to go rampant again here in USA at all of the places I care to frequent in winter -- Florida, Texas, SoCal, I'm thinking there might be another "shutdown" so I gotta play it by ear this fall but thats 'like 4 months away before I leave Michigan anyway and shit by that time I may be one of the few that are still alive here in Murahka - ya dig?

IF they just would have kept their gawddamn foot on this covid thing for about 1 more month I think all would.ve been pretty well set but they let go of it all & opened back up tooo soon just like all the scientific/ medical expert peeps advised against and there has been less than Zero leadership (yes - negative leadership) from the Trump led administration thru all of it.

Frankly, I said 4 years ago that IF the dumbass murahkin public is stupid enough to elect Trump "Prez" they get what they deserve...... Now they be a gettin it.

I don't giva fuk either - my life works & I live a great life - covid or not. I'm kinda gettin a kik out of it all. I am - not going to lie about

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...In general, I think most people are mindless fucking idiots who live a mindless unhealthy existence...aahand I just don't want the stupid unhealthy fukerz anywhere near me............ mmm kay?
Indeed. It's infuriating.
Yesterday I went to a work-related funeral. I was the ONLY person wearing a mask and standing 6' away.

Even worse? People wearing "chin masks" merely slung around their necks. Like: "I brought this in, but since nobody else was was doing it, I won't do it either.

IF they just would have kept their gawddamn foot on this covid thing for about 1 more month I think all would.ve been pretty well set... there has been less than Zero leadership (yes - negative leadership) from the Trump led administration thru all of it.
This administration prefers that the USA function as the Solo States of America.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
<<<<<<<------------------take it frum a koon!

I don't want anything to do with people in general anyway and this Covid-19 event only motivates me more to have less to do with anyone. I don't think anything short of a vaccine is going to remedy this virus in the US because Murahkans are just selfish stupid animals who won't do anything from a healthy motivation.

Apparently, experts (such as Dr Fauci) are hopeful for a vaccine by early 2021 and since I'm in a high risk group (over 65) and my daughter is an internal med physician who is well experienced in fighting this virus; I expect to be one of those who are first in line once a vaccine is available. Till then I'll bide my time living & enjoying my life, my solitude, etc as I've done for many many years and after receiving the vaccine will continue on living my life the same.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
<<<<<<-----------------take it frum a koon!

More on the facemask wearing thing.............. As long as wearing it in public is not mandatory there will be a large segment of the population that simply won't wear it because they're selfish and don't equate Their freedom with being coupled with responsibility toward the rights ; the freedom; of others; not simply their own "rights".

An analogy: Seat belt laws here in the USA. Seat belts were mandated to be built into autos in 1964 and shoulder harnesses in 1974. But wearing them while driving was not mandated. It was the occupants choice. Needless to say, very few people used them even tho the health & safety data re auto crash injury & deaths vs seat belts was very evident. The stats were around only 10% of persons actually wore them.

In 1984, New York became the first state to mandate the wearing of the seatbelt/harness and other states soon followed. Seat belt use rapidly rose to 50% and then beyond to where auto occupants soon were nearing 90% use.

Enforcement was generally initially only a secondary traffic enforcement but in states that have mandated seatbelt use as a Primary traffic enforcement auto occupants' use exceeds 90%

I think facemask use is similar: IF states mandate use and place it as a Primary enforcement there will be rapid unilateral compliance & use by the public. Especially when considerring the implications of covid spreading when face masks are not used. (If one hits a tree at 60mph while not wearing a seatbelt the result can easily be fatal but it has no 'impact' on me.)
Covid is different and if one isn't responsibly doing their best to not potentially spread the disease then in my opinion they are potentially denying others their "right to Life, Liberty & their pursuit of happiness."

My 2 cents.

Reactions: AllOne

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Wearing of masks is mandatory in my country, but even without the law, I'll still be wearing it. The masks is not just to protect myself, but it's also to protect the people around me. In fact, my country had a huge surge of cases a few months back, and there were 1000+ new cases in my country daily a few months ago, but now, it has dropped to 100-300 new cases daily, and this drop in numbers only happened because everybody in my country are wearing masks.

And social distancing is definitely important. This virus is asymptomatic, and you might be interacting with someone who had the virus but who didn't display any symptoms.
If there is social distancing and also wearing of masks, then this virus wouldn't be able to spread as easily.

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...IF states mandate use and place it as a Primary enforcement there will be rapid unilateral compliance & use by the public
It should be mandated. I asked my mayor to do so. Unfortunately, she is too concerned about getting re-eleced to do something unpopular.

...if one isn't responsibly doing their best to not potentially spread the disease then in my opinion they are potentially denying others their "right to Life, Liberty & their pursuit of happiness."
Absolutely. Even selfish people should understand. Do they want to infect their friends and relatives?

Wearing of masks is mandatory in my country, but even without the law, I'll still be wearing it. The masks is not just to protect myself, but it's also to protect the people around me...
Yours is the right attitude. What makes Americans different? Emotional immaturity? Defiance? Denial of facts? Ignorance of science? Magical thinking? Exceptionalism?

The people without masks are in favor of keeping the economy open. So, you'd think they would take simple measures to make that safer -- or it's just going to shut down again. Happening right now.

No logic. Some people can't think through from point A to B.

·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
226 Posts
Since March I rarely ever went out, always staying home and social distancing. The 3 times I did go out I wore a mask, and kept sanitizing. The places I went to barely had anyone inside, I've ensured they're following precautions and aren't crowded. Then self-quarantined myself for 2 weeks anyways.
I did visit family few times, but honestly didn't wear a mask since we have all been social distancing. Tried to avoid being too close together, but it's hard with kids. They'd want to play, hug, jump over you, etc. But as I said earlier, I wasn't that worried since we've been all social distancing.
(ENFP here)

·
Registered
28,905 Posts
I’ve had problems where those cheaper blue masks hurt my ears after wearing them for a long time. Other than fogging up my glasses, I’m not opposed to them to wearing them in public spaces. I got a supposedly higher quality washable mask that won’t have those issues but I didn’t wear it yet.

I also have a breathable elastic cloth that I have worn as a mask. I don’t think it really prevents any disease spread, but I have worn in stores without problems. That is actually very comfortable to wear.

My opinion is I like what NYC is doing. You can’t go inside a store without face protection. It’s almost pointless to go outside without one. I live outside the city, the vast majority of people are more interested in soaking up the sun and playing outdoors as opposed to going out to stores, so they don’t wear masks.

To be continued submitted by accident....

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did visit family few times, but honestly didn't wear a mask since we have all been social distancing.
(ENFP here)
Harder for extroverts, I know. My E friend is bummed out about cancelled events this summer.

With family and friends, if someone gets sick, they can CONTACT TRACE easily. The problem with groups of strangers is, people never find out they've been exposed. So, "social bubbles" work.

My opinion is I like what NYC is doing. You can’t go inside a store without face protection.
This is what I want. Mandates for closed spaces. That is not too much to ask.

I went out and asked people who weren't wearing masks "why not?" Here are some of the answers I got:

"No one says I have to wear one."
"Everyone is going to get it [Covid] sooner or later anyway."
"This is what the Bible said. Jesus is coming."
"It's just another form of flu. The media are making it sound worse than it is."
"I worked through this. Everyone has to go back to work."

·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
226 Posts
Harder for extroverts, I know. My E friend is bummed out about cancelled events this summer.
Honestly the only part I was bummed for was the fact I couldn't be around family, specially when the virus started spreading uncontrollably. I was worried about some relatives who might have low immunity.
There were <few times> where I missed wandering around with friends, but not to the point I'd get depressed over it.
Other than that I'm honestly enjoying quarantine!! I'm using it as a chance to recharge and figure things out before starting my senior year. Staying home is fun, too! As for socializing, I'd stay in touch with other's via SNS.

With family and friends, if someone gets sick, they can CONTACT TRACE easily. The problem with groups of strangers is, people never find out they've been exposed. So, "social bubbles" work.
You're absolutely right! This is why I believe outings can wait until things get under control. All what we have to do is stay patient, it'll eventually pass.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Masking is something I've been doing for years, so I don't feel anything about it besides agreeing with the science that makes sense. I wear them indoor and outdoors, even while biking. Plus, I'm quite happy if the rest of the world keeps their distance. I hope it remains after mass vaccinations occur.

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm using it as a chance to recharge and figure things out before starting my senior year. Staying home is fun, too! As for socializing, I'd stay in touch with other's via SNS.
That's true. Virtual companionship is normal now.

...I'm quite happy if the rest of the world keeps their distance. I hope it remains after mass vaccinations occur.
You know, I'm hopeful that some of those BS social expectations will go away and never come back. What a relief it is not to curl my lips up and pull them back from my teeth at people. It's funny when I actually laugh. It startles people without the visual cues leading up to the sound. I'm rather abrupt and loud, like, "Ha!" and then some silent facial stuff they can't see. It feels like I'm in some sociology experiment.

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is typical of the weak, wishy-washy leadership at the federal level. Up until now, White House staff has been appearing without masks, as encouraged by the President. His tour staff at the Tulsa, OK rally removed social-distancing stickers from arena seating.

Now, after the recent resurgence in Covid cases, the Vice-president showed up in Texas wearing a mask:

June 28, 2020 (Washington Post) - Vice President Pence on Sunday implored Americans to wear face masks, practice social distancing and stay away from senior citizens... But earlier Sunday, a “Celebrate Freedom” rally Pence attended at First Baptist Church in Dallas featured a large choir that did not wear masks while singing, despite evidence that some choir practices have served as “superspreader” events... Members of the choir put on their masks after they finished singing.

So, which way is it? Do moisture droplets from the nose and mouth spread Covid-19 or not? Take a stand. Either require masks, or declare that it is safe without them. Then take responsibility for the consequences. Own it, feds.

·
Registered
INTJ subs: entj, istj, infj
457 Posts
I make sure my loved ones wear one so I don't get spread.

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There you go. More cooperation in the UK. No wonder your country doesn't want flights from the US anymore.

People, this illness is exploding. Tell your mayor's office, your governor's office, your state legislature, that you want masks and social distancing mandated by law. We must avoid business shutdowns again. This will be a new way of life until a vaccine is invented.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Personally I will try to wear one if I'm going someplace like a grocery store - mostly because, I don't wear one the rest of the time, and while I have limited human interactions, I don't have NO human interaction, and I don't know what those people are/are not doing - so while I'm not worried about myself, I don't want to spread it to someone else, either.

That said, I'm still fairly certain I had it back in late February when we had something NASTY run through our office. But with no way to know for sure (not going to pay a bunch of money to find out), living as if I haven't.

Besides, OTHER people don't know my situation or story - and I'm not out there to freak them out if THEY may be at risk.

I have been WFH since mid March, so outside of a quick trip to the grocery store (which I often get delivered) most of my activities are outdoors (riding horses or motorcycles) and I'm not generally too close to groups of people. At the track we would hang out in small groups, a few people would hug, but we are all outdoors and not like we are being all touchy-feely lol. Any time I'm in a larger group setting, I would wear a mask of some variety (generally keeping one in my pocket).

All that said - these shut downs and closing of businesses and severe restrictions is not economically feasible. Thus far I have managed to keep going, but that is all very up in the air, and there aren't jobs out there to take - nearing a, what, 25% unemployment rate? Peoples' lives are being utterly destroyed. Suicide and suicide watches are hitting VERY close to home for me (not my family, but friends I know and we were on suicide watch with a friend couple weeks ago). Coworkers getting laid off and already having to consider bankruptcy if they can't find a job that will pay enough (people who are adults can't live on minimum wage....).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts