Personality Cafe banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Most of it is invisible suffering. People just disappeared from public view when their jobs ended. Some employers failed their employees. They stagnated in their old methods of operation. They waited for in-person business to resume. Yet, the spray cleaning, plastic shields, and crowd control vary significantly from place to place.

I wonder, how close to insolvency do retail businesses normally operate? Even after re-opening, to be limited to 50% occupancy would slash normal customer turnover rates. Yet, many businesses lagged in developing online ordering and curbside pickup. Many of them STILL don't offer it. WTF? Some big companies had the infrastructure to put this into place immediately but didn't. I still see websites that assume all orders are for shipping from the warehouse -- no option for local pickup. Many small, independent businesses STILL don't have a fully operational online presence for shopping -- only glorified advertising. WTF?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've been out of work but have bank of Mom and Dad, so I'm not in any financial straits. I've been holed up in my apartment mostly. It's been boring. A lot of things I enjoy, involve large crowds. I'm bored.

I wear a mask outside my apartment. I've been wearing a mask outside since everything shutdown in March. I got a sports once to make it easier to jog and skate while wearing. I really don't care either way. It seems like the polite thing to do, sure, whatever. When I'm just walking around, I don't notice it. I have a friend who designs clothes who made me some really cute, comfortable masks. So it's becoming something of it's own fashion accessory.

ETA: Forgot to mention I'm an ESTP.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
On masks, I let a friend make some and send them to me last month, because she was pleading and I love her. It was more for her than me and more an emotional thing. Now I use them as I'm going into a space, because I think it would be unmannerly towards everyone else if I didn't.

It's hard for me though to stay reminded of the fact that a mask won't protect me. It's a reflex to feel like it does, and I have to keep poking my brain to prevent that. My own best hope of safety is in other people not catching it, so normalizing ppe in daily life is my contribution to that.

I'm watching my own personal rolling average because they don't seem like they publish that. I track 'batting average' on the virus. I watch opportunity to infect people on a given day expressed as active cases, vs success at doing it, shown as new cases X days later. I prefer this to flat numbers, because to me that's more meaningful. Since they began easing the lockdown it has been on a shallow but very steady climb, gaining by tenths of a percentage point day over day. I watch that, and I guess if the rate of increase starts to bend upwards I'll start getting agitated. I think I'll also twitch when it hits 10%, regardless. I like safety, me.

Masks are going to be miserable once the rainy season begins. That concerns me, so i dont think it's going to be an easy winter around here.

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I do that, too. I note the date on which large groups congregated and count forward to look for a rise in cases. For example, this is Fourth of July weekend, so the numbes will probably rise in two weeks. My neighbor had 100+ people on our street for a fireworks show last night. I heard that people didn't wear masks or keep distance. (I didn't see it because I left before it happened and didn't come back until it was done.) Aptly named Independence Day, as in "Don't take away my freedom." A**holes.
(Interestingly, I did NOT see a increase after our local Black Lives Matter protests. Mostly young people in those, so perhaps some kind of explanation?)

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
We are required to wear masks in some counties and just "encouraged" in others, though most people in the latter will still wear them in public and some individual businesses will require them anyway. I have been wearing one in public places indoors and sometimes outdoors too, except with a few small gatherings with friends the past few months. Same with the social distancing though to be fair, I think a lot of this stuff is pretty arbitrary in that it is impossible to maintain strict social distancing at all times in places like retail, grocery stores etc. And since dine-in has reopened with limitations to group size (typically it's something like groups of 6 at alternating tables for restaurants), there is by definition no restriction on distancing within a group.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I actually love wearing a mask when I'm out in public. It saves me from having to fake smile. It hides blemishes. People are less likely to notice some of my subtle nonverbals. It's a wonderful thing... this small piece of fabric. If only I had a mask for my furrowed brow.

INTJ.

·
Registered
INTP
3,878 Posts
I'm an INTP and over 65. I live in a hostel/guesthouse in Canada. For about 3 months only a few regulars were here. That was fine. We didn't sit or stand close together, we stood back to allow others to pass, etc.

Now they've opened up to tourists and it's pretty terrible. For example, at supper time today I saw that 5 people (one couple and 3 individuals) were sitting around the small kitchen table talking. About 2 hours later I went back and they were still there, playing guitars, etc. I had to ask them to leave so I could use the kitchen.

If groups of strangers want to breathe on each other and get sick, that's their business, but why not respect the right of those who are social distancing to use the kitchen?

My understanding is that your mask doesn't protect you; it protects others. Most of my time is spent alone, outdoors, and/or in places where I can social distance, but I do wear a mask if I go to a place like a store.

I don't usually like government stuff, but I believe in government-enforced regulations for Covid.

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Hear, hear. If there are no federal, state, or local government mandates, business owners still have the right to require that masks be worn in their stores. In the US, it has not yet been proven in court to infringe upon First Amendment Constitutional rights.

Yes, you are right: The mask you wear is to protect other people, but everyone must cooperate for it to work. So, if you want to support this easy, sensible Directed Health Measure, shop where masks are required, or at least at places that offer "safe" hours for at risk individuals. It's the least they can do.

Search for list:
stores require masks at DuckDuckGo

That about ends this discourse regarding masks and social distancing. No one has come up with any convincing argument against them. These simple measures cause no harm and enable people's lives and the economy to continue with minimal disruption. I'm no longer going to guide this discussion.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here in Britain, face coverings are mandatory on public transport. I have to take a bus for a short ride around once a week, and I've noticed that most people are not bothering with the mask any more, nor do the drivers care to enforce the rule. I personally wear my mask on the bus. The rest of the time, I am at home, since I am a self employed personal tutor and visits to peoples' homes are not yet allowed in UK in general (although some people are doing it). The only other time I go out in public is the supermarket a couple times a week. But I do this early in the morning, when there is hardly anyone about, so I don't wear a mask then. Neither do the couple of supermarket employees who are around at that time. But I don't come into contact with them, as I make sure to use the automatic machines instead and pay by card. Most people in UK no longer wear a mask in public. I find it difficult to breathe and uncomfortable, so I will only wear it if there is a rule that I have to abide by, like on the bus. I do wash my hands when I come back from outdoors. Two people that I knew in person have perished from this virus, and none of them had any serious underlying conditions. I don't know what exactly is going on. I am not sure if this is just another bad flu season like once every few decades, or something completely different for which we are not being told the truth, or perhaps nobody knows the truth. Can't be paranoid about it, for in the end this too, shall pass. Whether I will personally survive it or not, is another story, but ultimately that's more down to luck than measures. Unless I was capable and willing of locking myself in completely for an indeterminate period of time, which, like most people, I am not.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts