Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I saw a face first. There is more black than white in the picture, and the border is also black, sooo that could be the reason why.

Reactions: Owfin and Aelthwyn

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I saw the vase first, only because it comprises more obvious surface area with more consistent geometry (so, it was a reaction based in gestalt psychology - building up the bigger picture of it more quickly). Otherwise, I think I would see faces over inanimate objects first, just because faces are a lot more interesting than inanimate objects. I highly doubt this has anything to do with T/F - I've always been obsessed with faces since I was little - however, perhaps if this was about identifying the emotion of the faces, some difference between Ts' and Fs' responses might prevail.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
It's two people looking at a vase. I win! XD

*turns serious switch on* Seeing as I've seen this illusion many times, I'm not sure if my results would mean anything. (Or if they're type-related at all.) However, I find it slightly easier to see the faces.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Yeah I saw this ages ago and I believe I saw the vase first.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the vase first, only because it comprises more obvious surface area with more consistent geometry (so, it was a reaction based in gestalt psychology - building up the bigger picture of it more quickly). Otherwise, I think I would see faces over inanimate objects first, just because faces are a lot more interesting than inanimate objects. I highly doubt this has anything to do with T/F - I've always been obsessed with faces since I was little - however, perhaps if this was about identifying the emotion of the faces, some difference between Ts' and Fs' responses might prevail.
The website says, "Both the background and foreground are equally strong". I don't know if that's true or not.

My psychology teacher said relationship-oriented people will see faces, and task-oriented people will see a vase. I know that a good amount (half?) of my class saw faces first.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Oh, that's interesting. Perhaps this has a more profound effect on dominant feelers and dominant thinkers? Since I'm a dominant perception type, this seemed to rub off in what I got out of it, maybe?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, that's interesting. Perhaps this has a more profound effect on dominant feelers and dominant thinkers? Since I'm a dominant perception type, this seemed to rub off in what I got out of it, maybe?
I think that could be right!
Actually, that's funny.
We all took the MBTI in our class. One girl who had gotten INTJ raised her hand and pretty much said what you said previously.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm not sure if it's typology-related at all. I scan the picture top-down with my eyes, and therefore it takes a while for my focus to reach the part where the "illusion" happens, and thus I see the vase first.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I saw two faces first, but I've seen this many times. I don't recall what I saw the first time. Somehow the black parts stuck out more visually. The black seems more heavy somehow. It's my personal perception on that and I wonder how others translate the black/white since they are supposedly even.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
The vase :)

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
The faces :) and I'm definitely not a feeler.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Well, as soon as I opened the image the first thing I saw was white standing out above the black, which meant I saw the vase first. And then right after that I focused in on the faces. It was a weird focus thing. That image made my eyes hurt. >.<

1 - 20 of 30 Posts