Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two months every time I signed onto facebook a prompt appears asking me for a current email address. It reads something to the effect of "we were unable to contact you at the email address you provided please update or your account may be suspended". Earlier this month I attempted to try out Google plus. Immediately after completing the required information the account was suspended. A few clicks later and I found out how to reinstate the account. They requested my telephone number, a photocopy of a government issued ID card and or alternate email addresses. By the way I used my real identity for both sites.

I've conducted searches on the subject and mostly found articles in favor of such a system to help fight crime and google plus claiming to be an "identity service". I thought it was a social media site? Then comes both facebook and google both investing in facial recognition software. What am I missing here?

I used to be an investigator and a lot of our information was available through the information you provided on credit reports, public records and utility companies (electric, water, garbage, telephone, selling your personal data. I thought it was awful then but now it's gotten worse. I have to wonder if google and bing are positioning themselves to sell off every search you have conducted and every blog or forum etc you've commented on. Imagine being denied a job because you were once a Democrat or Athiest, or cross dressed in a photo as a joke for friends. Has gathering information for the purpose of marketing turned into the most efficient surveillance system ever? Am I being a paranoid alarmist? Does anyone else see the potential for abuse by these companies selling off every tidbit of your information to marketers, investigations firms, or government? I'd ask my RL friends but they're to busy posting drunken bbq pictures, checking in at stores, or sharing BS links to care. I'd appreciate hearing other's thoughts on this subject.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
I haven't had Facebook asking for personal details.
If it did, I'd stop using it. Not that I use it much anyway, but still I'd remove the bookmark.

The potential for abuse is there and it will be abused. I'm more of a "wait and see" type of guy. Before I commit to one opinion I have to see what they do with all that. There's most likely already a group fighting or getting ready to fight this, though. There always is. So we can just go to them when in need, I guess.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've only given FB the bare minimum of info (I have an email account purely for crap like this and another for jobs/friends).

Reactions: infinitewisdom

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Fb account was set up using an ancient aol account I used years ago for spam and crappy sites asking for too much info. Aol obviously cut it off or I never responded to fb's email to that account to verify Im still using the aol email I gave FB three years after I created it. Im also a wait an see kind of guy. There are more instances offline Im noticing with mail service, power, and bank services. They getting creepy to me but It's not as obvious as FB and Goog.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'm uncertain about the extent of this phenomenon. However, I've read, at one time or another, about government firms monitoring social networks for people organizing protests and for tracking criminals, employers searching through the facebook pages of applicants before hiring or not hiring them, school administrators abusing the information on student's twitter accounts, and so on.

I wonder what some of the laws are toward information and privacy and sharing on the web.

But the reason I don't use social networking sites is because I don't feel like indulging myself with stupid statuses about drinking milkshakes or talking to people I didn't like in grade school. Also, if another person takes a picture of me at a place to post on facebook, I will strangle them to death with their Samsung USB cord.

**leaves this thread and logs into YouTube**

**watches a five minute advertisement sponsored by CBS or VEVO**

**video freezes, forcing me to restart the advertisement, in order to watch the video again**

**opens a new tab to play farmville while Mark Zuckerberg sucks my brain out through a straw**

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Earlier this month I attempted to try out Google plus. Immediately after completing the required information the account was suspended. A few clicks later and I found out how to reinstate the account. They requested my telephone number, a photocopy of a government issued ID card and or alternate email addresses. By the way I used my real identity for both sites.
The suspension seems really weird. The only information on my Gplus account is my name and gender, and I've never received any kind of notification about that.

But I don't see any other way to recover your account than to ask for personal information if you haven't provided an alternate email address or a phone number.

Has gathering information for the purpose of marketing turned into the most efficient surveillance system ever? Am I being a paranoid alarmist? Does anyone else see the potential for abuse by these companies selling off every tidbit of your information to marketers, investigations firms, or government?
If they're using your information without permission, then there's a problem. But since I dropped out of google ads, don't have a facebook account, and the only info in my google account is my name and a profile picture, I don't see a potential abuse.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I'll preface this with, no I am not a conspiracy theorist, and I don't care if anyone really believes me, but a penny for your thoughts: someone that I happen to trust without a doubt has worked for the government (I'm in information security) and they tell me that for a fact, there are connections between government organizations and facebook. A lot of those 'crazy conspiracy nut rumors' ..aren't.

Heh, but google it and you'll find an onion article, and a few other things that just make the idea look silly. And here is where I might be off base and too speculative: but making it look silly that way is certainly a way to obscure the truth about it all and discourage anyone from taking it srsly unless they want to get laughed at.

And I have seen someones facebook page used against them in court.. and it was just over silly shit that they had posted but it was enough to make a dent in their credibility. It was an outrage.

As far as the point about employers and such using it to peep on you - absofuckinlutely. I have had bosses, and clients e-stalk my social networking profiles. One of them routinely did it without realizing I was logging IP addys (this was on mysapce not fb because I haven't found a way to log ips on fb yet). I also had some spam/phishing/(not -quite- sure) ap of sorts show me every email address for every person added to my fb at some point. I was in awe looking at this list. Not all of these people had their email addys public, but this ap showed it all when I was checking it out.

I put the bare minimum on my fb (my only social networking profile left) and I made it all as private as I possibly could after I realized that a specific client was checking me out. Its none of their business that I like surreal humor, and read books that sometimes have a psychedelic or escapist flavor -- I can just see those things coming up to pigeonhole me as a fucking drug addict. Like I said, I have seen less make someone lose some cred when on the stand in court. Disgusting fucks.

And if the nsa and/or cia has the little bit of info that I put into facebook. And sure, they do. That information isn't really a big deal. It does unnerve me though that these things are being collected. And they are. For what end purpose, thats a bit sketchy. I also doubt I am on any watch list, too. : P

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Erudis, you may not have witness what I have experianced but I have and I assure you its what happened. Perhaps I've triggered some reg flags in their system by changing and using different spam avoiding email every few months. Maybe it's the plethra type of sites I read. The reason they banned me is unknown but I do know Im not willing to give them required information simply so they can pimp their ad's my way and whore out my personal information. You brought up a valid point about giving permission to these types of sites. Given their TOS policies containing 23094533223 words written in legaleze. Its very difficult for stupid common people like myself to decipher. If the policies were more transparent I think more people would opt out.

Prom thanks for the insightful input. Im guessing my fears are because of my lack of knowledge when it comes to technology, not reading TOS's when I sign up for a service, my past witnessing of information brokering, news such as courts misconstruing facebook postings to suit their needs and propaganda. Other governments are requiring online identities and but ours so far is making it a voluntary system. However given their modus operandi from the past they slowly chip away at civil liberties one step at a time. Spokeo.com sells your information and sells reputation managment are google and microsoft looking to do the same on a much larger scale? Im guessing yes but only time will tell.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's funny. Facebook is not messing with me on my fake account. It's my real account where they ask for my updated information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't doubt that you got emails asking for verification info. But if they are requesting personal info, my guess is that it is a scam or some sort of hacker. I used a specific search engine a couple of times to bring up facebook and got a page that had a "like" button on it. Only one other person had "liked" it, but it asked me to confirm my cell number. The page also looked the same as what mine would except it had a red box asking for the confirmation. I tried a different search engine and never got the confirmation box. There is no way I would give facebook any sort of information unless it was when I logged on knowing it was the secure site. People can easily make anything look official, so now I trust nothing.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
It's all about being able to build complete and accurate profiles of people with information that they voluntarily give out. You see sites like Spokeo.com (go ahead, look yourself up!) and people get pissed about that site because it simply aggregates publicly available information without ever really caring whether you want them to or not. Google and Facebook do essentially the same thing, but because you supply the information, people not only don't get their panties in a twist, they actually flock to sign up.

Why would anyone want to build complete and accurate profiles of people? Money and power, of course. Those are always the answers.

For the money side, douchey marketing people have gotten a raging hard-on for "targeted marketing" these days and want to cram product advertisements down your throat and make sure you are paying adequate attention to their flashing lights and whistles. They want to know what you think, what you feel, what you like to do, what color socks you wear... all so they can better understand how to dupe you into buying their crap.

Then there's the more sinister half of the equation. It's not just corporations who want the information. Much like how the marketing world's torrid love affair with targeted advertisement has taken off due to younger, more tech-savvy individuals coming into the mix, the CIA has a flourishing romance with Facebook and Google as they profile "potential terrorists" and "threats to national security" by spying on what people post. There are information analysts at the CIA who quite literally do nothing but monitor publicly-available information through things like social networking sites (or, in CIA lingo, OSINT-- Open Source INTelligence) to do anything from determine the general mood of the population after an event and see what they are talking about (e.g. the swath of tornadoes a few months ago, or the debt ceiling issue) to building as complete and accurate of a profile as they can on a "person of interest."

As much as I dislike corporate shills and the CIA, neither of these things worry me too much because I myself am and information junkie. I signed up for G+... I refused to put any real information on my profile, but I like to see what other people are up to. In fact, I do kind of throw a monkey into the wrench by having inconsistent information about myself on the Internet just because it's fun to screw with data aggregators. It doesn't bother me to know that I am being watched if I'm aware I'm being watched... it just compels me to have fun at their expense.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Because the people are treated like profitable online data slaves to benefit politicians, advertisers, rich people, and governments that spy on people through online surveillance. It has to do with money, power, and control. Online privacy became a joke because it prevents advertisers, politicians, rich people, and other types of people from knowing how to exploit people for their own self-interests. Which is why phone number verification, government I.D. verification, face recognition, and other methods are implemented to identify people for profitable online data. Money talks. Sheep are attracted to money and blending in with society to gain social status while the rare individuals are the ones who are attracted to online privacy, knowledge, logic, and other things that are used for real power. Getting rid of online privacy has become the status quo while the rare people are trying to wake people up about how governments, advertisers, and rich people are exploiting people by making them sacrifice their online privacy to be able to register accounts.

Sheep are small chess pieces that could only dream of being masters of their own lives who are used to help the rich and powerful people get most of the money and power. It's always been like that since politics existed on Earth because not everyone wants to play fairly.

It's why the rich and powerful people created religious terrorism to keep people in the dark. It's why the rich and powerful people created countries to divide and conquer through lies, money, and violence. It's why the rich and powerful created technological advancement as a weapon against other people. It's why the rich and powerful people from specific countries created online censorship and online surveillance to brainwash and exploit their slaves who think they are smarter than they really are. It's why the rich and powerful people from specific countries created theocracy to legalise religious terrorism to keep people brainwashed. It's why the rich and powerful people are participating in drug cartels, sex slave trafficking organisations, child trafficking organisations, human trafficking organisations, and other types of organisations. The beauty industry has people who are participating in sex trafficking, child trafficking, and human trafficking while bribing the government authorities who protect online surveillance.

This is why there are cynical people who don't trust governments, the beauty industry, religion, online surveillance, online censorship, etc. Because they don't trust flawed humans controlling a government, especially a government that has legalised online surveillance. They cynically don't trust flawed and selfish people spying on them for a reason. It has nothing to do with paranoia, but being able to protect their own privacy to keep people from exploiting them financially and politically.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts