Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Facebook for me serves mainly to reconnect with my old, distant friends from America. Except for some reason, I can't get myself to login frequently; I think I'm a bit Internet-shy. And to top it off, in the past year or so there's been a sudden invasion of Brazilians on Facebook, and I've received hundreds of friend requests from the people here in town (I think it must've been that Social Network movie). So now it's a little tougher to see what my American friends are up to.

Besides that, there isn't a very practical reason for me to use Facebook; at the most, there's the funny comics people upload and share that I keep reading.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I use Facebook and supplement with Failbook (hehe) to help me stay sane. I procrastinated for the longest time on actually joining. I had to join to start a page for my blog. I try to avoid it as much as I can. Very rarely do I share stuff, and it's usually pretty generic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
if it wasn't for the fact that most people use facebook, i literally would not use it ever. i just feel like people reduces themselves to the most neediest, attention-seeking, self-consuming idiots. not everyone's like this but then i think of the people who have to be overly clever and witty and i get irritated at that too. self-disclosure and projecting yourself are two concepts people don't know how to healthily express on facebook because it's a site where you have to always stay relevant. i don't know if it's an infp hell. no matter what type i was, it just seems like a general hell but i do think for infps, it's frustrating because facebook can really drill it in that you don't have friends or anyone to talk to / connect with even though that's probably not the case.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I only have it because it's the only form of communication I have with one of my bestest friends who is now overseas (emailing could work too lol).
And it's also a good way to keep up with events around campus.
I rarely update my status or anything lol.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I like to read what people are up to and click on interesting links people post. It helps me know what is happening in the real world. i like hearing what my favorite distant friends are doing with their lives. I also use FB to find out about local bands' shows and to network with other musicians. I have a FB page for me and a FB page for my solo music thing. It's really crazy to see when someone new likes my solo music and it is someone i have never met, sometimes from overseas even!

As for what I post, I have learned not to post my private feelings or anything like that. I'll post a link to a song or an article every once in a while. Or now that I'm pregnant, I might post about some of the milestones i've crossed, like finding out the sex or feeling him move for the first time. I think people like to hear about that stuff because those are the posts that always get the most "likes". If I complain or say something controversial, people will just ignore you, so I don't do that because it just makes me feel like nobody cares. I'd rather feel like people care, so I tend to post only light-hearted things. i save the melodrama from livejournal and PerC. heh

Facebook is kind of like a game. I think it's useful and can be fun if the people you are friends with post interesting shit.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Helps me remember the long list of reenactment events and check what's new on reenactment on Buenos Aires. Connect with friends with ease and mostly that.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I really don't like what facebook stands for but it can be a useful tool. I've traveled quite a bit so I wouldn't be able to connect to most of the people I've met otherwise. I'm not afraid to show people my values so every once in a while I'll throw up a quote or artifact to get people thinking about certain things.
I've gone back and forth with sharing photos--people like to see where I've been, but with a lot of 'friends' who I don't know well, I feel kind of exposed, so I no longer share them publicly. I know I can adjust the privacy settings, but I don't want to bother.

It's kind of like the relationship I have with Wal-Mart...especially when I was living in Hawaii. I hate Wal-Mart but it's so cheap!
I'm a sellout.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I only use it to chat with people I'm close with, connect with new people I meet in school that seem interesting, or sometimes as a way to shamelessly pitch events for a community project that I'm a pretty big part of. I rarely write statuses anymore - I just like to comment on other people's stuff and chat a little bit with my friends. Especially because of the fact that I don't know all of my friends' numbers since I'm nervous asking.

I also have considerably fewer friends on Facebook than most of my Facebook friends, some of whom have over 1,000 friends.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I used to be addicted to FB, I thought it was so cool and reunited with a lot of people I had not seen in a long time. I never do status updates. I used to love posting pics of places I've travelled but now I've stopped posting completely. Facebook is kind of fake, everyone just posts all the happy times. It's not real life. I've become pretty inactive...for now.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I have a facebook account, but I rarely actually use it.
The way they don't moderate the site for bullies and stuff is what annoys me most about that site, but I do like how easy it is to share my interests with friends.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I rarely update my status or anything lol.
You can UPDATE your status?!?:shocked:

Joking aside, I really just pop in and out of Facebook. Click on Facebook, responding to people who talks to me sometimes. Going to the groups section Science to read, and watch some videos that may interest me. If nothing interests me I just pop back out. It's highly unlikely you'll see me on for more that 5 minutes. If I am, I'm probably watching a video. I don't really update or even talk on people's statuses.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I mostly use it to share links to things on the web that I find interesting.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Mainly connecting with friends. Also, I enjoy some debates. Good debates where the issues fight, not people.

Facebook has however killed visiting culture. Nowdays people don't visit each other just for chat and coffee. They do it online. It saddens me a bit.

Reactions: heart
1 - 20 of 92 Posts