Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you like or dislike Facebook?

I really don't like Facebook. So many people in real life ask if I've made an account yet, it's so hard for them to believe that I will never make one. My coworker asked for the 3rd time yesterday if I've made an account yet, when I say no she says i'll come around sooner or later LOL. I told her I can say with 100% confidence I will never make one. She's 15 years old than me and she asked didn't your age group grow up with the internet?? People just can't understand it!! lol

I don't want people to think I dislike it just because I think it's cool to dislike something that's as big as Facebook (that's my brothers reason for people who dislike Facebook). I really find a lot of things about Facebook pointless and annoying. I feel like all the people that I've wanted to stay in contact with i'm still in contact with. Even if somebody wanted to get in contact with me, there's other ways of doing it. Also, I think it's stupid to sit there and read about all the random things other people are doing during the day.. like what they are going to eat, just got their nails done, shopping, about to watch Jersey Shore. Then there's all the other comments that other people are making about what that person is going to eat. I find it even more stupid for me to post random things that i'm doing throughout the day on there. I just find it all very frivolous. I guess it would be better if I had more friends/family members who were a lot more interested in nature like I am. Posting pictures of nature and/or their travels, but we already do that through email.

I know one other person who dislikes Facebook as much as I do. He's an INTP. It should be interesting to read what other people have to say, especially other ISFP's ;].

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh no, not Facebook. I had an account, mostly for my musical purpose, to promote my songs or others people songs. I have deleted it now, im kind of sick of watching what other people are doing or thinking all the time, or what they are liking and people having 5000 friends or so, who they aren't really friends with in real life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use it to publicly display the incoherent rants and internal debates that I don't talk out with friends or write in my journal, honestly.

I never got why people made a big deal over the "Friending" issue. Most people consider an social networking "friend" to be totally different from a real life friend. A social networking "friend" could be someone you're just aquaintences with or somebody in your class that you want to get to know better or even just some random person you met who you think would post interesting things on their social networking page. The word "friend" isn't as emotionally charged in social networking as it is in real life, sad as that may seem to some people.

Reactions: Mina

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have one, but I was super late in getting it - I created it less than a year ago. It's okay..it was fun at first, making new friends and posting sarcastic comments on other friends' walls. Now it's just there, I probably go on it a few times each day because I have nothing better to do.

I think it's fun when people post hilarious statuses, but they're kind of rare. Most of the time it's stuff like "Class 12-3" or something boring like that where no one cares in actuality..so I tend to block those people from my news feed because I know they don't really bring much to the entertainment table.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hate hate hate Facebook. Was talking about this at work today, and the mood I'm in this could become an almighty rant about how it destroys relationships and is a breeding ground for all sorts of lowlife.

I've recently signed up to LinkedIn, the business version of FB as I may be looking for a new job next year. FB was a good concept to start with, but was allowed to get way out of control.

Reactions: Mina

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I was in the same boat for a long time. I did end up making one not to long ago though. I am still not a big fan... I don't ever post updates myself, and usually have to be prodded to log on. At the same time though, it really is a convenient way to keep in contact with those who you do not get to see often. Being able to see regular pictures of nieces and nephews (etc.) who I would other wise not be able to see more then once a year, if that, is nice. My friends list is quite small, only those who I truly care about hearing from (and vice versa)... that makes those petty little details not nearly as "annoying," as they are personable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like Facebook because of how much information you get about other people. I get to see pictures of my uncle visiting Yellowstone while it's happening, and we can talk about it even though I probably wouldn't see him for another 8 months. I get to watch my cousins in Australia growing up. The truth of the matter is that I keep in better contact with a lot more people in my life since there is Facebook, because it makes it so easy. I'm not the kind of person to send cards or remember to make phone calls, but when it's something I can just click while I'm checking my e-mail or doing homework, it's impossible not to know what's going on in the lives of my friends and family. The fact is that because I see a relationship over the internet just as valid as sending letters, it's valuable to me and makes me feel less alone. Which is important for me.

Yeah, there are a lot of idiots who post stuff that I don't give a shit about, but Facebook's "top news" feed is designed so that only the stuff from people you regularly click/comment on comes up so I can filter most of it out anyways. You can't expect there to be a place where there are people and no idiots. Especially on the internet. XD

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I'm not a fan of facebook either. I only made an account there because it's the easiest way to acquaint myself with the latest information of our school community. And it's also easier for me to keep in touch with my foreign friends! ; )
But otherwise - I'm pretty unactive there. :p

·
Registered
640 Posts
It's so nice to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't use facebook!

I've never had any interest in displaying my life on an internet page for the whole world to see. And I feel like what's the point of making "friends" with people who I will never meet in person?

If I want to keep in touch with friends or family who live far away, we just call or email each other. If we want to share pictures, I either email them the pictures or post them on a website with a private picture viewing account.

It annoys me that people think they are so important that they need to let the whole world know what they are doing every minute of everyday. I know I am generalizing here, but you get my point.

From my observations, Facebook kind of seems to bring out that "clicky" attitude in people, kind of reminds me of the popular kids in high school. The way you can choose to be friends or reject a friend, and who is connected to whom. I don't know, I just stay away from it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's so nice to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't use facebook!

I've never had any interest in displaying my life on an internet page for the whole world to see. And I feel like what's the point of making "friends" with people who I will never meet in person?

If I want to keep in touch with friends or family who live far away, we just call or email each other. If we want to share pictures, I either email them the pictures or post them on a website with a private picture viewing account.

It annoys me that people think they are so important that they need to let the whole world know what they are doing every minute of everyday. I know I am generalizing here, but you get my point.

From my observations, Facebook kind of seems to bring out that "clicky" attitude in people, kind of reminds me of the popular kids in high school. The way you can choose to be friends or reject a friend, and who is connected to whom. I don't know, I just stay away from it.
I LOVE everything you just said letsride!

I understand for some people it is a good way to stay in touch with family from across the country/world. But like you, for my family and I, email has always been the way to go if you wanted to send pictures to somebody who lives far away. It also seems more personable that way. A few of my friends and I have photoalbum.com accounts and we will call or email when we add photos.

About the friend/rejecting friend thing... My fiance's 27 year old cousin will delete my fiancé as a friend out of nowhere! It has happened a few different times. My fiance saw that his cousin is part of a group that says "Nothing says F%#K YOU more than deleting someone as a friend" or something like that. My fiancé is pretty sensitive so of course it upsets him. It's just everytime I hear something about Facebook (which is a lot) it's usually negative. My sister is always complaining about things on there so I finally asked her, "Then why do you go on it??" She didn't have a reason.

It's awesome when you find somebody who dislikes Facebook as much as you because it seriously seems like 98% of people are seriously obsessed with it and have been for years. It's something I don't understand at all. People have told me it's literally the first thing they check when they wake up. I just don't get it!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have one, but I was super late in getting it - I created it less than a year ago. It's okay..it was fun at first, making new friends and posting sarcastic comments on other friends' walls. Now it's just there, I probably go on it a few times each day because I have nothing better to do.

I think it's fun when people post hilarious statuses, but they're kind of rare. Most of the time it's stuff like "Class 12-3" or something boring like that where no one cares in actuality..so I tend to block those people from my news feed because I know they don't really bring much to the entertainment table.
Hilarious posts would be something I would enjoy on Facebook too. I love when I come across a hilarious comment on youtube or after reading a CNN article. The only reason I read a CNN article here and there nowadays is because of the very good, but like you said very rare hilarious comments afterwards! I just know there would be way too many mundane posts on Facebook. I love my uncle but I seriously don't want to know when he takes a shower. I love my friend but I don't need to know every single time she gets a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, which according to her sister is posted like 5 times a week. That mixed with all the negative factors is just not for me.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
i have a facebook account but it's not that important to me. i use it mainly to look for people to play "words with friends" with. i also like leaving random comments on other people's shout-outs when i'm really bored. :tongue:

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have never really cared for all the social networking. I made a Facebook about a year or so ago and I've been a little addicted to it. I'm on everyday and it doesn't help that I have smart phone.
It's not that I so much care about what others are doing, I think it's that for most of the day I have nothing to do and it's updated regularly so it keeps me occupied.

I've disabled my account for short periods of time because I get annoyed of it all, a lot. I don't mind if you're excited about something but I don't need +10 people talking about Glee, Jersey Shore, and football.

I've been seriously thinking about deleting my account for a while now but what really sucks is the fact that so many people nowadays use and depend on facebook for socializing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah yes facebook... I read a comment about facebook on another forum that said ¨the compulsively vain and narcissistic all congregate in one place¨. I think that is true, especially the narcissistic part. I work with someone who I think actually has narcissistic personality disorder and he is on facebook every break we get.

I made an account about 1/2 a year ago and have about 20-30 ¨friends¨ - mainly people I went to school with or served in the military with. Out of all those people I actually am friends with one of them. I log in very rarely because I don´t see much point but also (I hate to admit) because I am jealous that everyone else is posting updates on what they are doing with their lives and I am sitting here stuck in a rut dealing with depression.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I once read a truism that said "excess is evil". Too much of anything isn't good. And anything could be used maturely or immaturely. I remember when kids were discouraged from using the internet because of ... well, lots of reasons. Each person uses Facebook for different reasons. Just like people sign onto PersonalityCafe for different reasons.

Facebook is what you make of it. I basically see it as a tool of expression. You could learn a lot about someone just by viewing their Facebook page -- how professional they are, how much care for social networks, what their interests are, etc. Some people just want to be heard, so they use Facebook to create listeners. Facebook has its share of needless drama, but it's customizable in a way that lets you avoid all that, and many positive interactions and connections have been made via Facebook as well.

I do believe that Facebook has crippled our generation in many ways, no doubt, but somehow our culture is learning to adapt and live with it. Even utilize it. It's great if you could get by without ever signing up for a Facebook account, especially if you know it'll negatively impact your life, but otherwise, moderation with anything is key. IMO, the most time-consuming and idiotic things on Facebook are the zillions of pointless pictures. (waste of server space.. back to my truism!)

Personally, I use it to let others have a glimpse into my interests. To see what other people's interests are, what others think is worth posting - pretty insightful. Facebook has also created a somewhat more "casual" method of interacting with people, whereas email seems more formal. I like drawing Graffiti. :p

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I did the whole facebook thing for a long time. I actually still have a myspace, but it's bare bones and for contact only. but anyways, I got sick of all the stupid "friends" that hated me IRL, or I never wanted to be around anyways. And it kinda hit me one day...what's the point of having a facebook? I think facebook is just an easy way out for people who can't make what they want of themselves IRL, and who want attention any way they can get it. I quit about a month ago and haven't looked back. I'll never have one again.

I was friends with rousse on FB, though :) I still have her email.

Reactions: Outcode

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't like Facebook. Too much forced interaction. I prefer sites like Linkedin which is a bit more reserved and distant in communication.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts