Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear NFs! How are you at remembering faces and names? I'm good at remembering faces... but utterly hopeless when it comes to names. I can forget a person's name the moment it comes out their mouth. The amount of times I've had to ask someone's name in a night is embarrassing... I feel so rude and stupid for asking, especially when I asked only moments ago!

Would this kind of thing relate to one of my under-active cognitive functions? I'm trying hard to understand each other but oh man, does it take time...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm great with faces, even if it's been years or they alter their looks a little. I have the worst time remembering people's names.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
I have excellent photo graphic memory usually I image the name above there head as if it were a subtitle.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
that's a great idea.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is an excellent idea... but wonder if I could actually follow it? I'm so easily distracted. I just take in the visuals while totally disregarding other things! Damn names. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I suck at remembering both. I remember people from the contents of their thoughts/conversation.

Reactions: Bright Laughter

·
Registered
ENFP
4,195 Posts
Faces-

I have a problem with names. Once I've decided that this person looks like a "Jack" or "Jill" "John" "Heather" I always go, "Hi, Heather" and the other person will be like, "No, I'm Joelle. It's the 4th time you called me Heather.." My response, "Sorry, Heather. Wait..I meant.. Joelle." Horrible. I sincerely want to make an effort to remember, and I do.. but sometimes, when I've got like a million things on my mind? It gets hay-wired.

Names are tricky for me, not unless if they're long, or unique sounding, then I'd be like, "hababawhut?"

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I seriously suck at remembering names.... :frustrating:

Faces, I would rarely forget and normally recognize but I never notice any details, so I would most times not even be able to recall a persons hair color if asked about it.... :blushed:

Weird thing, that memory thing, huh? :crazy:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I tried that whole word association thing to remember people's names but I would get a picture of the thing I associated with the name in my mind, but not the name.
I'm so glad I live in a place where it's considered friendly to call folks things like, sweety, buddy, pal, dude, etc.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I remember faces mostly but I'm getting better and better at remembering names. You just need to stop thinking that you suck at remembering names, think that you are getting better at it and you will get good at it.

Anyway, my guess is that S user are better at remembering names and N at remembering faces. Both aren't mutually exclusive though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I suck at remembering both. I remember people from the contents of their thoughts/conversation.
This is me too. Mostly, if I get in an involved, interesting conversation I'll remember the conversation itself, but don't put the name and face to it. Then next time we meet, if they say, remember that thing we were talking about? and then the whole conversation and all associated feelings and thoughts come back.

If it's a superficial, my mind just went wandering, conversation - Then, I'll remember their face because I start focusing on all of the little details just so that I can keep looking and them and appear to be listening. If by chance it happens soon enough while their name is still floating around in my mind, I'll start repeating their name in my head while picking up the details of their face and I'll remember both.

The result of this, is I remember the names and faces of people I found boring and I don't remember names and faces of people I found fascinating. Ha! Take that memory.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I even have a hard time remembering who someone is on the board if I have not noticed them enough to recall their name and not just their avatar.

How bad is that?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Faces...... name takes quite a while for me to get.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
When I was a child I used to always have fun playing memory games
So maybe I've had practice...
I can do both faces and names. People often use me as a dictionary :proud: I also apply names to voices

I started laughing the other night. My sister and I watched The Lion King together and I was like, "OMG Simba is Sarah Jessica Parker's husband!!" and then I heard Whoopi Goldberg in the distance.. and Mr Bean:crazy:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm actually really good with both, but freakishly good with faces. I'm one of those really creepy people who will be like, "We've met before!" and you'll just stare at me because you don't remember me at all, but you were my barista at Starbucks like 5 years ago or something. It's a gift and a curse.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Historically I was only good at facial recognition, however I made it my life's mission to call people my their names during first conversations. So I always internalize and reinforce whenever someone mentions their name. It adds a nice touch.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ohh, I've had the 'remembering the conversation but not the person' experience. It's very strange when I remember the conversation perfectly but not the person... it doesn't happen often, thankfully. I don't like remembering conversations without seeing a face clearly in my head.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts