Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, how do you feel (what do you think) about Fair Play ?

Do you believe that there should be a balance in all, and people should receive what they earn, based on what they do, no more, no less.

Do you dislike when some get more with less because of some circumstances, and you don't ?

Do you think that the end justifies the means ?

P.S. I think I'm in that time when things sound a lot better in my mind but when I put them in words they don't come out as I would like to, so please bare with me. :proud:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I’m more interested in seeing existence for what it is than building sand castles.

Edit:

I do derive pleasure from treating others as I would hope to be treated. It’s a localised thing though.
I have no interest in formulating philosophies around these notions so I don’t really have a standpoint.
I’d rather be prepared for assholes to do their thing than hoping for everyone to be following a certain moral code.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But when dealing with said people which do not follow a certain moral code, would you rather play dirty or just not give a f**k and go your way ?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I take fairness as being everyone's ability to respond with their mind to what's given to them. The circumstances of physical reality then have no true bearing on fairness.
That said, I believe physical reality has built in consequences, so if someone decides to be an asshole, it will most likely bite them in the ass. The fact that they are being "unfair" to me is their problem, not mine. I'll just keep living.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
There's never a balance and it would be unrealistic to expect there to be so. If you're talking about work, I generally have found that the strong AND intelligent get what they earn. But scumbags, manipulators, and cheaters also earn too. Acting in such way usually comes at a price, though.

Do you dislike when some get more with less because of some circumstances, and you don't ?
Honestly, I try only to worry about myself, but sometimes the way certain people succeed irks me. For instance, I detest "yes men" and I also detest people who want "yes men." It's better if I take myself out of these situations and I like having my work do the talking. Plus, there is more satisfaction when your work is the reason you succeed. Also, when you do produce good work, you can go into the boss's office and basically give him/her the finger, express your dissent, and not have to compromise yourself. I'd rather succeed on my own terms.

This is a pretty loaded question. It depends what the ends and the means are.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I once read an article featuring a study where they found evidence that 'genius' is caused more by hormones than genetics. Specifically large concentrations of testosterone in the brain during fetal development. One of the commenters on the article proclaimed that she did not believe it as it would mean that women are less likely to be geniuses and to be genius would have to give up their femininity. This is not necessarily true, but could be, though that's not the point. The point is that nature doesn't care if it's 'fair' or not. Nature will be the way she is and will continue to be the way she is regardless of how hurt your feelings are, or if it makes sense to you or not.

This means that there is no real universal moral code, so I prefer instead to live in a way that allows me to live inside a society, because at the end of the day we are social animals and we are made to live together. That means following the laws that make sense, not being mean without reason and making a contribution to society. Not because someone told me to do it, but because it makes sense.

·
Banned
492 Posts
retarded douchebags need to have their heads cut off, so the rest of us can live a legit and meaningful life. Some people just cant understand things past their closed ways of thinking, which pisses me off.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
What is a "yes man"?
Nick-name for sycophants who agree with the boss in everything they say and do, rather than offering other ideas or critical thinking when a plan is a bad idea. Many bosses, especially the further up the food chain they are, like to surround themselves with dimwits of this nature, since they don't like to hear that an idea of theirs may not be the best for the company.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

Do you believe that there should be a balance in all, and people should receive what they earn, based on what they do, no more, no less.

P.S. I think I'm in that time when things sound a lot better in my mind but when I put them in words they don't come out as I would like to, so please bare with me. :proud:
In an ideal world, this fairness should be obtained but I think there are several realistic roadblocks to even defining what is fair play and who has and has not engaged in it. For starters, there's the issue with how a person's work should even be valued. Also, who's to say someone has gotten more than me without deserving it. I am not at liberty to police other peoples' luck.

There are instances where it's clear who the "bad guy" is and who doesn't deserve certain benefits but more often than not, this isn't clear at all. The most decent of humans have often deliberately acted to the detriment of others. Does this mean they don't deserve certain rewards that they worked for in other respects? People often start up ahead of the game because they come from a wealthy family or whatever, does this mean that they should be penalized for what they were born into and couldn't control? Is that fair? There's too much grey area behind the notion of giving someone what they've earned, no more no less.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Nick-name for sycophants who agree with the boss in everything they say and do, rather than offering other ideas or critical thinking when a plan is a bad idea. Many bosses, especially the further up the food chain they are, like to surround themselves with dimwits of this nature, since they don't like to hear that an idea of theirs may not be the best for the company.
In that case, I think bosses are acting to their own detriment by deliberately ignoring possible criticisms. After all, if they refuse to hear an idea is terrible that will just bite them in the ass later down the road...

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Yeah, they also love people who are willing to do illegal shit, no questions asked.

I once read an article featuring a study where they found evidence that 'genius' is caused more by hormones than genetics.
No, that was pure speculation based on the fact that there are more men with IQs above a certain number than there are women. There's some evidence that IQ testing rewards people who are confident and take risks, which could help explain this effect (since males are both socialized to feel more confident about their intelligence and to take more risks, and testosterone helps encourage risk-taking). Doesn't help us define "genius", though.

I can say that I don't think that anyone who is unwilling to take risks is ever going to have their ingeniousness recognized.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

In general, I hate when people whine their way into more than their fair share
or find a way to subvert a rational system to their advantage.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts

To me, that isn't "fair play" because not everyone starts at the same place. It would work as "fair" if the playing field was level.

Fair to me means that the same amount of effort/investment should produce the same outcome.

I might find it frustrating on some level, but I typically do not hold it against the person just because they lucked out or created their own luck. That's not their fault. I might just have general angst against the world/fate.

No, not really... depending on what it is.

For example, personally, I think it's wrong to knowingly take advantage of another person for my own gain. I don't care if I don't get what I want; I avoid taking advantage of / controlling another person as much as possible. (Others who see the whole thing as a game might actually consider themselve skillful for taking advantage of others.) The disclaimer here is that if people agree willingly to play a game that might have them at a disadvantage and it's part of the rules of the game, then it's "fair." Otherwise, if you are breaking the accepted rules to gain advantage, that is not fair.

Reactions: Adrianl

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
What I think is strange is that most people don't recognize the multiple levels on which they are being coerced and manipulated into filling certain "roles" in the first place. People are so deep "in it" that they can't see "around it."

I don't think manipulating individuals to claw your way to the top has the best outcome for the manipulator (in fact, it usually doesn't), but it certainly can't hurt to be able to see around arbitrary convention and societal brainwashing. In fact, I'd define genius as just that, the ability to see around arbitrary convention and societal brainwashing, and to use this knowledge to produce something worthwhile. In this sense, Steve Jobs is most definitely a genius. A lot of people make a bunch of noise about what a bad guy he is, but they're still buying his products. He was undeniably "right"...

People seem to believe that people like Steve Jobs somehow "cheated" their way to success. They forget that they themselves are the ones whose inaction and unwillingness to question social norms or refuse to keep up with the Joneses is what makes these guys successful in the first place. Stop letting yourself be susceptible to iPod advertising, or stop complaining.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well I'm one to rely more on results rather than morals so I'll base my opinion on that. If not playing fair would prove to be a more efficient way of running things then I'd have no choice but to accept that. Well I haven't studied Game Theory very much, but it just so happens that playing fair has proven to be the most efficient way of produzing long term results (it's called tit-for-tat), so yeah I'm all for playing fair.

Unless we're playing card games of course, 'cause then I'll cheat so hard I'll win in two turns and you'll have no idea what just hit you.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think every action has a reaction and all that ... and that the end never justifies the means.
I don't really care about what people get ... unless its punishment that they don't deserve.

I'm starting to wonder, though, if you meant the Golden Rule, more than Fair Play... cuz this isn't what I had in mind at all...lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts