Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its not always easy being an intj in an extrovert world, but something occured to me the other day:
are we lucky because we can (if we try/ want) fake being a more extrovert personality or other group, but they (the others) can't fake being us and having our more useful traits?
are there any aspects of us that only 'we' can do? i think so?
accepted, this is more of a germ of an idea rather than a well developed hypothesis..... but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Faking it? Like orgasms? Hahah jk. I am normally good at faking being even more extroverted than I am. And faking emotions, I let other people see what I want them to see.

137 Posts
Faking it? Like orgasms? Hahah jk. I am normally good at faking being even more extroverted than I am. And faking emotions, I let other people see what I want them to see.
I took one look at this thread and knew immediately that someone would make that reference.

On subject of course pertaining to fake emotions, I can easily fake that I care about a person just to get what I need from them then hit the road. I love me before anyone else.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I'm good at making myself the "center of attention", if I feel like it. I bore myself, though; I prefer listening to others.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm good at pretending to get along with people or make them feel that I'm interested in them.
Whenever I listen to pointless things that they say, I usually zone out though and I think of the things that interests me.

I used to fake being extroverted alot, but now, I don't.
I just don't see the point in faking it anymore and it just makes me tired.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can't help but to laugh...

Silliness aside, some people can see right through people. Just be yourself! Introverts and Extroverts have an equal amount of respect in my world. Fakers don't!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I think we have to be careful about labelling the extroversion as 'fake'. What I would say is that INTJs will interact as extroverts topic tickles our Te (give me a white board and ask me about various things and the facts spit out all over the place). We are still losing energy (intraverting) while interacting however.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
sensors can fake being intuitive. there is just no need. they are the majority.

thas my opinzeon

likewise extroverts can fake being introverted ....

i mean really... everyone has introverted and extroverted traits.... and everyone has f and t traits.... andddd everyone has n and s traits.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
There are certain things that only you, as an individual can do. This, in my opinion, is irrelevant to type.

I would think that there, in theory, are other types who would feign extraversion more easily than the archetypal INTJ. However, that is in theory. In practicality, it depends on the individual, and where they are on the spectrum, the level of development of their functions, etc.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
EVERYBODY "fakes" aspects of their type. Not deliberately of course, but naturally. If anyone really crucified themselves to ONE TYPE and that type's behavior ONLY, not only would they have a lot of problems coping in life, they'd probably belong in a nice padded room.

When I socialize with girls, I fabricate my F and project stronger E & P qualities.
With guys, I'm an ESTP.
At work, I automatically become an ENTJ. I thrive in that mode.
At school, I become an ENTJ again, or in a more lecture-based class, INTJ. (However for Accounting classes, ISTJ)
When I debate, I go ENTJ...or if the person's really hardheaded, I'll morph into an ESTJ.

Some modes are harder than others. Being ENTJ is almost easier than being ENTP, but ISTJ is reaaally draining. Takes LOTS of caffeine, Ritalin, forced concentration and suppressed tears of boredom. Trying to fake the F is also highly draining. Makes me antsy and eye-rolly.

The modes vary constantly, and I don't do it consciously. It just happens, as it does to every healthy person. So if faking the E (not the O) works for you, that's because you're well-adjusted and you know the benefits of adaptability. I notice INTJs are the most adaptable of the Js.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EVERYBODY "fakes" aspects of their type. Not deliberately of course, but naturally. If anyone really crucified themselves to ONE TYPE and that type's behavior ONLY, not only would they have a lot of problems coping in life, they'd probably belong in a nice padded room. When I socialize with girls, I fabricate my F and project stronger E & P qualities. with guys, I'm an ESTP. At work, I automatically become an ENTJ. I thrive in that mode. At school, I become an ENTJ again, or in a more lecture-based class, INTJ. (However for Accounting classes, ISTJ) When I debate, I go ENTJ...or if the person's really hardheaded, I'll morph into an ESTJ. Some modes are harder than others. Being ENTJ is almost easier than being ENTP, but ISTJ is reaaally draining. Takes LOTS of caffeine, Ritalin, forced concentration and suppressed tears of boredom. Trying to fake the F is also highly draining. Makes me antsy and eye-rolly. The modes vary constantly, and I don't do it consciously. It just happens, as it does to every healthy person. So if faking the E (not the O) works for you, that's because you're well-adjusted and you know the benefits of adaptability. I notice INTJs are the most adaptable of the Js.
this is what i mean, everyone fakes (acts other than their natural inclination) a little in different situations....but...do people want to fake being the full-on intj combo? and even if they do, can they?

is; perhaps because its too hard or simply undesirable; our special combination of ingredients uncopied/uncopiable?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took one look at this thread and knew immediately that someone would make that reference.... I love me before anyone else.
is it my fault that some people's minds lie in the gutter, and as for loving yourself, at least you dont have to fake it then, but.... i heard it can make you go blind....:tongue:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Like someone else mentioned, everybody has elements of all personality types in them, and we act differently depending on the situation. I've gotten pretty good at pretending to be an extrovert when the need arises; it wears me out if I have to keep it up too long, but I can do it. The hardest thing for me to pretend to be is F. In all the tests I've ever taken, I've scored 100% on the T side. Venturing into F territory is awkward and uncomfortable. When in emotional situations, I always feel like a klutz. Trying to comfort someone feels to me like I'm playing the piano with boxing gloves on. I do have the feelings, but I'm at a loss how to express them, and much more at a loss how to deal with other people's feelings.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I bore myself, though; I prefer listening to others.
I know it's insane. I hate listening to myself talk or interpret a story from the past. I just can't keep it alive like my ISFP brother can. I just listen to him talk about his past and I take advanage of all the information relayed to me. It's like going through experience without having been there; like bonus knowledge.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't fake anything (even orgasms). I have consciously developed my weaker functions so that I can work more effectively. Even so, every action is simply a polished version of a natural reaction. It is no more fake than the cut diamond is fake compared to the raw material.

As far as other types wanting to fake being us.... Why would they? We are notoriously difficult to get along with in our natural states. Each of the types has the ability to access the traits that make us stellar in our respective fields so there is no need for them to pretend to be us. Besides, IRL, most people don't know more than one or two INTJs and have probably dismissed them as prickly assholes.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trying to comfort someone feels to me like I'm playing the piano with boxing gloves on. I do have the feelings, but I'm at a loss how to express them, and much more at a loss how to deal with other people's feelings.
i like the piano boxing glove analogy..me too

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would persoanly say if anything perhaps INTJ's have an ability to think deeper, got out of the box perhaps a little easyer then others? Great example is this thread in itself, I never looked just assuming, but i doubt any other thread would ask a question such as discribing a treat that INTJ's would have, that treat being insightful, spending a lot of time in side our own minds, more so then others perhaps. Idk like most ppl already have said it would realy depend on each person individually. Each person is different and unique in there own way. Each person can also be how ever they choose to be, as far as being introverted or extro. and ect. I also at times "fake" my personality in front of others, also being the usual me, not going to fake im somebody im not. But there are time's im not in the mood for certain thing's but i'll put up with it and go along anyway just becuase that's how I am i guess.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts