Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always love ENTP guys. It really stinks, too, because all of them (or at least the ones who I've met) have been kind of douchey. They're really fun and exciting and laid back and I love being around them. They get emotional and they're outgoing and really sweet if they like you. Every guy I've ever liked has been an ENTP but I always thought they were ENFPs. However, it seems like every ENTP I've ever known has been a narcissistic asshole. I don't mean to target ENTPs here, but am I the only ENFP to find this to be true?

A profile of every ENTP male I've known: smooth-talking, narcissistic, annoying, blurty, unclear on what he wants, flutters from relationship to relationship, never truly happy, really into superficial stuff (eg. looks, sex, etc.), and really fun.
They also speak really freely about things they probably shouldn't- for example, one ENTP told me he loved me randomly and that he knew he did the moment he met me, but he didn't want to hurt me and he thought I deserved better. And then he basically ended the conversation with 'you get it, right?'. Oh my.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm in a relationship with an ENTP and he's absolutely wonderful. Very attentive, very affectionate, and very sweet. He goes out of his way to make me feel beautiful and loved. Part of that is just his nature, for an ENTP, he's quite emotional. Another part of that is his upbringing, his parents are wonderful people who taught him how to treat people right.

That being said, I can easily see how an ENTP could be a real jerk. You just need to go out of your way to find a wonderful one. If both of you are mature in your types and have gotten to know the other person very well, this is an extremely rewarding relationship.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A profile of every ENTP male I've known: smooth-talking, narcissistic, annoying, blurty, unclear on what he wants, flutters from relationship to relationship, never truly happy, really into superficial stuff (eg. looks, sex, etc.), and really fun.
They also speak really freely about things they probably shouldn't- for example, one ENTP told me he loved me randomly and that he knew he did the moment he met me, but he didn't want to hurt me and he thought I deserved better. And then he basically ended the conversation with 'you get it, right?'. Oh my.
Whoa, whoa there. Chill, lady. You shouldn't stereotype people. I've met ENTPs who are very nice in the inside, they're mostly very nice inside and very caring, when you got to know them. We're assholes, sure. And we're narcissistic, its a fact. But ENTPs are never into superficial stuffs- they're into emotional and mental connection, we don't take love lightly, for us- its important. (Unless if its just for blind sex or a not serious relationship) ENTPs are very complicated beings, and the fact that we flutter from relationship to relationship isn't because we're disloyal, its perhaps because they don't feel like its the right relationship, and we can see a potential of that relationship early- and if there's no potential, we usually withdraw. For us, the important thing is the relationship in a long shot- not a simple fling. (But of course we would like to play around once in a while)

When we meet the right person, we would be loyal, superficial stuffs do matter- but the most important thing in a relationship is mutual understanding and a deep connection. We might flirt a bit, but its different when we're serious. The fact that the ENTP told you that is because he want to create a clear ground where you can understand where he's coming from- he's trying to be honest and spare you both from the pain he's sensed would happen.

ENTPs wants to be understood. They need to have a match who can understand and motivate them. A mental and an emotional equal. ENTPs are by no means shallow. They just have picky standards.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa, whoa there. Chill, lady. You shouldn't stereotype people. I've met ENTPs who are very nice in the inside, they're mostly very nice inside and very caring, when you got to know them. We're assholes, sure. And we're narcissistic, its a fact. But ENTPs are never into superficial stuffs- they're into emotional and mental connection, we don't take love lightly, for us- its important. (Unless if its just for blind sex or a not serious relationship) ENTPs are very complicated beings, and the fact that we flutter from relationship to relationship isn't because we're disloyal, its perhaps because they don't feel like its the right relationship, and we can see a potential of that relationship early- and if there's no potential, we usually withdraw. For us, the important thing is the relationship in a long shot- not a simple fling. (But of course we would like to play around once in a while)

When we meet the right person, we would be loyal, superficial stuffs do matter- but the most important thing in a relationship is mutual understanding and a deep connection. We might flirt a bit, but its different when we're serious. The fact that the ENTP told you that is because he want to create a clear ground where you can understand where he's coming from- he's trying to be honest and spare you both from the pain he's sensed would happen.

ENTPs wants to be understood. They need to have a match who can understand and motivate them. A mental and an emotional equal. ENTPs are by no means shallow. They just have picky standards.
Then maybe he wasn't an ENTP? Because he flirted a lot then (and so did every guy I labeled as an ENTP...). Even when he was in a serious relationship, he flirted with me and never even talked about the girl he was dating.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Then maybe he wasn't an ENTP? Because he flirted a lot then (and so did every guy I labeled as an ENTP...). Even when he was in a serious relationship, he flirted with me and never even talked about the girl he was dating.
ENTPs do flirt a lot- ENTPs flirt as a sport. lol. They enjoy employing their people skills to charm others- they don't do it to hurt people, just for fun. Might be an unhealthy ENTP. Or he's sexually attracted to you but is committed to another woman, or he just want to play around and have some little fun with you (maybe he considers you an interesting conversationalist), as ENTPs are easily bored.

But when an ENTP is serious they usually become more caring, and are more interested in you and will ask you about deep stuffs- will be very sweet and gentlemanly. ENTPs are very loyal when they've reached the commitment stage, provided the partners didn't bore them too much. Most ENTP males I met are very loyal when they are serious, then again its not the type that matters, its the individual. That's why we should avoid stereotyping people.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ENTPs do flirt a lot- ENTPs flirt as a sport. lol. They enjoy employing their people skills to charm others- they don't do it to hurt people, just for fun. Might be an unhealthy ENTP. Or he's sexually attracted to you but is committed to another woman, or he just want to play around and have some little fun with you (maybe he considers you an interesting conversationalist), as ENTPs are easily bored.

But when an ENTP is serious they usually become more caring, and are more interested in you and will ask you about deep stuffs- will be very sweet and gentlemanly. ENTPs are very loyal when they've reached the commitment stage, provided the partners didn't bore them too much. Most ENTP males I met are very loyal when they are serious, then again its not the type that matters, its the individual. That's why we should avoid stereotyping people.
Thanks for replying; it's kind of cool how you can just state something about your 'people' haha. And I didn't mean to stereotype- I tend to avoid generalizing anything- but, honestly, every ENTP guy I know has seriously acted like the same exact person. Maybe it's just the age (16-early 30's). Same stage of life, same outlook/ attitude/ persona?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Yeah if there's one thing I can say about ENTP love it's that they fall HARD. Once they're in love, they're tripping all over themselves to show you as much affection as possible. It's amazing. To be the center of that affection is unlike anything I've ever experienced. I love it!! So don't give up, you'll find your dream ENTP. :happy:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thanks for replying; it's kind of cool how you can just state something about your 'people' haha. And I didn't mean to stereotype- I tend to avoid generalizing anything- but, honestly, every ENTP guy I know has seriously acted like the same exact person. Maybe it's just the age (16-early 30's). Same stage of life, same outlook/ attitude/ persona?
Its not like that I like them very much but labeling them that sadly is too much. lol Oh yeah, You just have to crack the attitude before you get to the inside, depending on whether or not they'll let you. The challenge is in making them serious. Keep up with their shit and you'll end up with something really gentle. Most of them have awry defense mechanisms and don't plunge in a relationship without caution.

Then again I'm not a male. hmm. @fullofbull58 and @MegaTuxRacer What do you think about ENTP males being a bitch? XD

·
Banned
435 Posts
Good luck with your ENTP! We love us some feelers.

Some ENTP guys need to calm it down a couple notches.. And the under developed ones can come off extreamly cocky. But at the end of they day they're fun little creatures who are very smart and add a lot to the relationship.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
I think there's some truth in all of these posts.

Like any type, ENTPs as a group have strengths and weaknesses, and as individuals should be judged on a person-by-person basis.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Then again I'm not a male. hmm. @fullofbull58 and @MegaTuxRacer What do you think about ENTP males being a bitch? XD
In response to the OP's comment about the 16-30 age range - I'm a 22 yr. old ENTP.

Most of the things she said are true to a degree. There are a lot of variables that come into play, though. The whole "narcissistic asshole" thing is very situational for me, and a lot of times I can't help it(typically happens in social situations where I feel more "in power"). It's like...I know I'm coming across as cocky, I know I should tone it down, but I literally cannot stop myself. It's like the opposite of "stage fright". The point is...I don't really think I am "the shit", but sometimes it may appear like I do. For example: in discussions and debates, if my opposition shows weakness, I tend to assert myself over them too much. In my mind I know I am being a dick, but if I think I am right I feel compelled to convince the other party of my correctness(to be honest, though, I think this is an NT thing, and not specific to ENTP's).

Point is: I can sometimes come across as cocky, but at the same time I am very open to criticism... In fact, I welcome criticism with open arms. How can I improve myself if nobody tells me what's wrong with me?

I think OP's description of how we appear is very accurate(how we "appear" not how we "are").

Here's my take on how she perceives ENTP's are:
Smooth-talking - only if I feel in control
Narcissistic - yes, but not in the sense that I only care about myself...just that I do love myself
Annoying - yes, I have trouble respecting others' boundaries at times, but I apologize when I realize I have "gone too far"
Blurty - oh yeah... I am getting better, but my mouth could use a filter.
Unclear on what he wants - yes, but often this is caused by genuine indecision...I don't know what I want sometimes
Flutters from relationship to relationship - not true for me(at least not anymore). I will not enter a relationship unless I am serious about her.
Never truly happy - this sounds more like a reference to a specific scenario than a generalization about ENTPs.
Really into superficial stuff - quite the opposite. I have actually been somewhat depressed recently because I can't stand the amount of superficial stuff that surrounds me(College life...). I wish I could find more people to connect to on a deeper level(a girl preferably haha...ok fine...I'm a little superficial!).
Really fun - can't argue there. Though, my idea of fun is a little less traditional.
Speaking freely about things that they shouldn't - guilty as charged... I am very likely to tell you what I am thinking exactly how I am thinking it. It's a good thing, I assure you. For the most part, you will always know where you stand in my eyes.

Any specific questions about male ENTPs? I'm an open book.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In response to the OP's comment about the 16-30 age range - I'm a 22 yr. old ENTP.

Most of the things she said are true to a degree. There are a lot of variables that come into play, though. The whole "narcissistic asshole" thing is very situational for me, and a lot of times I can't help it(typically happens in social situations where I feel more "in power"). It's like...I know I'm coming across as cocky, I know I should tone it down, but I literally cannot stop myself. It's like the opposite of "stage fright". The point is...I don't really think I am "the shit", but sometimes it may appear like I do. For example: in discussions and debates, if my opposition shows weakness, I tend to assert myself over them too much. In my mind I know I am being a dick, but if I think I am right I feel compelled to convince the other party of my correctness(to be honest, though, I think this is an NT thing, and not specific to ENTP's).

Point is: I can sometimes come across as cocky, but at the same time I am very open to criticism... In fact, I welcome criticism with open arms. How can I improve myself if nobody tells me what's wrong with me?

I think OP's description of how we appear is very accurate(how we "appear" not how we "are").

Narcissistic - yes, but not in the sense that I only care about myself...just that I do love myself
Annoying - yes, I have trouble respecting others' boundaries at times, but I apologize when I realize I have "gone too far"
Unclear on what he wants - yes, but often this is caused by genuine indecision...I don't know what I want sometimes
Flutters from relationship to relationship - not true for me(at least not anymore). I will not enter a relationship unless I am serious about her.
Never truly happy - this sounds more like a reference to a specific scenario than a generalization about ENTPs.
Really into superficial stuff - quite the opposite. I have actually been somewhat depressed recently because I can't stand the amount of superficial stuff that surrounds me(College life...). I wish I could find more people to connect to on a deeper level(a girl preferably haha...ok fine...I'm a little superficial!).
Really fun - can't argue there. Though, my idea of fun is a little less traditional.
Speaking freely about things that they shouldn't - guilty as charged... I am very likely to tell you what I am thinking exactly how I am thinking it. It's a good thing, I assure you. For the most part, you will always know where you stand in my eyes.

Lol, now I feel like I'm becoming a matchmaker.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Random observation: all the ENFP's in this thread have significantly higher "thanked/post" ratios than the ENTP's. I wonder if that's because the ENFP forum is far more generous with their "thanks" than the ENTP forum. :tongue:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Wow. Thank you so much. The guy I'm mainly talking about when I say 'ENTP' (the one I have the most experience with) was all of these things and all of the good things I mentioned in the first paragraph in my first post. I don't want to bore you or anything, but could I message you and describe things that happened between us that I'm confused about or I feel might have more meaning than I thought at the time? I fell so hard for this guy and it seems like he might have felt the same for me, but I'm not sure. We don't talk anymore but here I am, falling for ENTP guys left and right (it's always been this way though :p). And you say you're looking for someone to talk to about 'real' stuff with? Feel free to message me about that because I'm looking for the same thing :)

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
ENTP/ENFP can be a lot of fun in the beginning, but if your value systems are not in sync, it gets very messy. Yeah ENTPs have their problems, but so do ENFPs. Ultimately it comes down to values. That doesn't make him a jerk and you a good person either. In 99% of the relationship problems with ENTPs threads, I see a lot of difference in values. Most of the time, one or both people need some more time to mature as well. Just some food for thought.

·
Banned
770 Posts
You have totaly the same exprience with ENTPs as me. I also like them, they have a great sense of humor, they can be nice and charming and usually I have a lot to talk about with them, but they are freaking narcistic assholes. The guy I despertly fell in love with when I was like 17 was an ENTP I was totaly inpressed with him, but than I just found out, he can't talk about anything else expect himself, how great he is, how handsome he is, how inteligent he is...He was even telling a stories about him and his life, that weren't true at all to the point most of the poeple didn't believe a word he said.

Reactions: RoseRed

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have totaly the same exprience with ENTPs as me. I also like them, they have a great sense of humor, they can be nice and charming and usually I have a lot to talk about with them, but they are freaking narcistic assholes. The guy I despertly fell in love with when I was like 17 was an ENTP I was totaly inpressed with him, but than I just found out, he can't talk about anything else expect himself, how great he is, how handsome he is, how inteligent he is...He was even telling a stories about him and his life, that weren't true at all to the point most of the poeple didn't believe a word he said.
I'm glad someone gets it haha. This might sound a little weird, but did he brag about the size of his 'endowment' or his sexual conquests? Because that's what this guy did...all the time. It got really annoying.

*sidenote: I love your avatar :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Random observation: all the ENFP's in this thread have significantly higher "thanked/post" ratios than the ENTP's. I wonder if that's because the ENFP forum is far more generous with their "thanks" than the ENTP forum. :tongue:
Very true. We should play here more often. XD.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Wow. Thank you so much. The guy I'm mainly talking about when I say 'ENTP' (the one I have the most experience with) was all of these things and all of the good things I mentioned in the first paragraph in my first post. I don't want to bore you or anything, but could I message you and describe things that happened between us that I'm confused about or I feel might have more meaning than I thought at the time? I fell so hard for this guy and it seems like he might have felt the same for me, but I'm not sure. We don't talk anymore but here I am, falling for ENTP guys left and right (it's always been this way though :p). And you say you're looking for someone to talk to about 'real' stuff with? Feel free to message me about that because I'm looking for the same thing :)
Hey, hey, for payment about the matchmaking thing, you should thank my post. This one, k? thanks. XD.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts