Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you prefer? Do you like going to a place where everyone recognizes you (say on campus, in a coffee shop, a restaurant) or do you like hiding away in the crowd?

I definitely fall into the latter category. It bothers the hell out of me that my dad has always had certain set of places that he frequents often. When I'm there with him, I always feel super self-conscious and like they know my habits and things (which I like to keep weirdly secret in public).

Also, I used to go to a university that had a relatively small, tight knit campus. It used to make me feel really awkward because I would always see people who were vague acquaintances at some point and I have no idea how to deal with that (except ignore them - and that can give off the wrong signals).

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
If i could somehow find a place i like where everyone accepts me i'd love going there. but i doubt that would happen. in public setting i kinda have a way i act basically i try to be polite and funny, which is fine for getting to know folks,problem is most peopleare interested in the layers i have below that.so i guess i'd rather be off doing my own thing.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have a small group of friends that I like to cultivate a deep relationship. I don't mind a few aquaintences knowing lighter more topical things about me.

Otherwise, I love anonymity. It feels safe. I think I use it as protection, because "well they don't know me" so they can't hurt me.

It makes me think of school. I'd be petrified to give presentations to the class, mainly because I wasn't well liked and I didn't want any of the other kids' focus to be on me. On the other hand, I loved performing in front of a faceless crowd. I was no longer me, because they didn't know who I was. I could still hide even center stage.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Being in a place were people don't know you is refreshing and nice. Its a big sigh of relief. Its just I don't want to be bothered in public, then again, I don't want to be bothered almost at all. Being a random nobody in the crowd is great.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a combo! I like it when I am out and about and see people I know on the street, because it feels nice and cosy. However, I hate it if I am somewhere for a while, eg out for a meal or in the library, and there is someone there that I vaguely know. Not a friend cos that's fine and I'd go and say hi, but an acquaintance. I agonise over whether to go over and say hello, how long to talk to them for, whether to sit down and talk to them or just go and stand to chat, it goes on! I actively avoid going near people sometimes to avoid this situation, like in a restaurant the other week I saw some people I knew and I deliberately kept looking the other way and took a different route out. Weird huh! I'm also currently disliking going to the local park because I keep seeing children from school there - I don't mind them saying hi but then I can sense their parents watching me and judging me on my parenting skills and whether I'm a fit person to teach their children, it stresses me out terribly!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Anonymity for me. When I'm with people familar with me at work, they tend to come across to me as friendly as if they really like me. The problem I have is that I always wonder why, I never really speak to them, I look scruffy, I swear and shout sometimes and I don't always do as I'm told. Plus I feel that they like a pale imitation or a caricature of me and know and care little for my depth.

I love walking down the road, through the woods or through a busy and crowded main street and where nobody knows or cares about me. There's life but there's peace, peace for my mind to wonder and wander, for it to reflect on where I am in life and where I am going amongst other things. It's a lot harder for me when I have company as my attention is focused on them and not on my inner thoughts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can definitely relate. However, I frequent a coffee shop that hardly any of my friends know about. Or I should say, my high school mates. My college friends know about it, but they are my closest friends I do feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Uh, I definitely like to be somewhere in the middle. I want to be able to just sort of blend in and fade away when I don't feel like dealing with people, especially if there's someone to avoid. But, I like to always have someone nearby I am familiar and comfortable with, whom I can relate to and who complements my strengths and weaknesses.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Most of the time I'd say I like the anonymity of going somewhere and nobody knowing anything about me. But there is this one pizza parlor I go to all the time to get salad. I don't like the salad there especially, it's as good as any other. They just seem so genuinely happy whenever I walk in, and they seem to prepare for my order that day! One time I said "Hm, I think I'll try that salad tomorrow." and when I showed up the next day they had already prepared it for me. They even like knowing about my day at school and I'll talk to them on slow days. I just like the personal relationship I have with them, and I'd hate to disappoint them by suddenly stopping going there. Oh and I don't like going their with anyone. A guy with a crush followed me there and he made a big deal out of why I liked this place so much, that I go out of my way to get there. It was humiliating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts