Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just curious.
How many of you can relate to this. (though technically I am a Gen Y, I'm a cusp, so yeah..)

Being quite different than my parents (by PerC standards, they would be Baby Boomers, on the cusp of Gen X), I foresee some degree of disappointment.
My parents have a little pride in me, because I'm following a passion of mine, which is music, and I have a decent business plan along with it.
What they don't know is that I'm not a Christian.. I have too many philosophical disagreements.
I can't tell them as long as I live in this house.
Eventually though, they will be disappointed in me.
My INTJ older brother was in college, working toward finishing, so he could head to law school, and my parent would only talk about how he was ruining his life, because he's an atheist. (Not shocking, considering his age, type, and the fact he's had health issues, and regardless of how many revivals and "healings" he attended, nothing happened)
Aside from religion, my family and I, especially my mother and I, disagree.
My father can at least accept my views politically, because he understands my conclusions, even if he doesn't entirely agree. My mother, on the other hand, lives in a concrete, black and white world, and she has issues with anything outside of her viewpoints, which are just ridiculous.
What amazes me, is that I research the hell out of this stuff, and she will GOOGLE the issue, click the first thing that disagrees with me, read their viewpoint, and argue with me, because THEY must be right, even if their logic and reasoning is absolutely flawed.
Then again, this is the same mother who started multiple arguments with me, as a child, because I disliked/dislike coutry music and contemporary Christian music. (She actually said "Well if you don't like those, what the heck do you like? RAP?!!?!?! SCREAMO!!!!?!?!!?!?!?)Yeah...

So, what do you guys think?
Is Gen Z (or Late Gen Y) the most disappointing generation, to what remains of the traditionalists in our past generations? or do you think they'll just get used to it and adjust, even if they hold different views..

·
Registered
607 Posts
Im guessing it depends on the family .
In my family everyone is atheist, All my grandparents are atheists except my grandmother, so religion isn't any issue at all. Actually when I was very young I was christian, and they just let me decide myself , so even then it wasn't a problem.
Politicly almost everyone in my family has close political vision , so again it isn't an issue . And even if we do have differences - no one cares.
They don't care what music I listen to , As long as it isn't Justin Bieber XD .

So I think its all about the family itself, not the generation :3
If Im not mistaking, every new generation was somehow different that the previous one. So of course that they will be in some kind of "shock" about how we are different. Every generation has expirienced it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My parents are also late baby boomers/early generation X. In some ways you could see how they are .. umm.. older.. than parents of other people my age, but although their religious and political views are not really different I was smart enough not to go to those areas. Like tery999 said, it's more depends on the family itself. I would try to prevent arguements from starting in the first place, but if you feel you can't hold it anymore I would clearify that at this rate you gonna end up pretty detached from them once you leave the house.

·
Registered
ENTP
1,384 Posts
I can really relate to you. My mom and stepdad are both from Gen Y, born in 1977 and 1979 respectively. My mom's an ISFP and my stepdad's an ESxJ if it matters. I'm a 2nd generation American, and they expect me to get straight A's, but I usually don't. I guess I set high expectations when I did in elementary school... and they're constantly comparing me to myself a couple years ago, my 10 year old brother, who's a year ahead of his grade in Language Arts (he skips half a grade, I guess) and gets straight A's, my 6 year old sister who's always happy and has a natural talent for dancing, and this person I barely know who's a year below me, but a year older than me (she moved here from the Philippines and she couldn't be put in the right grade, I don't really know) that gets straight A's and plays at least three instruments and posts them on her Facebook (my parents are friends with her). To them, I'm just that average girl who has no real talent, does poorly in school (I take all honors classes, but I don't exactly do well in them), and hates everyone. My parents are extremely overprotective, and I haven't been to a friend's house since I was 8, unless I was working on a project and I called them every hour. And I have to be with them everywhere they go, and I have no say in that.

They'd much rather have me get a job that pays high than a job I'd actually enjoy, like voice acting or psychology, and whenever I try to do something related to them, they tell me to go and do something school-related instead.

And like you, I'm not a Christian like the rest of my family is, but I can't tell them. I'm dragged to church almost every Sunday and holiday or birthday. Maybe I'm just too afraid of telling them, especially my stepfather who's either narcissistic or has narcissistic tendencies because who knows what he'll do to me... He's extremely moody and passive-aggressive, so it's hard to tell what he's feeling and what angers him. Sometimes he's extremely happy, other times (which could take place after his happy episodes) he nitpicks and tries to find things he can scold me for. For example, he says I'm retarded for nodding my head when answering him... :confused: He'd start what he calls "arguments", which are actually 2 hour lectures on the same things. When I was 4, I told him he made my life miserable, and he still quotes 4 year old me :rolleyes: At least he isn't suffocating me in my sleep like he did when I was younger...

Another thing I'd like to add in here is that my mom is racist. She's been racist for as long as I can remember. I realized that she was completely irrational when I was 9, but didn't say anything until she found out one of my best (internet) friends was "black" (he's actually Guyanese), through my younger brother, and she told me not to talk to him. I asked her why she felt that way, and this angered her, and she started going on about how I'll have black children and how she won't take care of them, and how I should just move out and live with them. And she played the "you live under my house, you live under my rules" card. It wouldn't be worth it if I tried to change her mind about that, because it wouldn't work. Sometimes, when my mom is mad at my brother, he purposely brings this up, just so my mom could get mad at me instead of him. There are also other things about, but this one seems to be the biggest. I used to agree with my mom all the time as a kid, but no I see how ignorant she is :rolleyes:

So, I'm definitely not the kid my parents hoped they would get, aka, the disappointment :laughing:

Like the other posters, I don't think it's the generation as a whole, but it varies from family to family.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I used to feel like my dads side of the family supported me more than my mom, but once I declared my ambition to go to art school, my dad's side (rich old white people) have abandoned me completely, they're against me taking the SAT and leaving Canada for college, they want me to go to a "proper" university and get a "proper" degree. They're jewish, but I'm agnostic and haven't said anything to them about that. My mom and her family are very supportive of me, I thought it would be the opposite because they're asian, but now I've learned who I can really trust. I'm ashamed to admit it but I thought my mom would hate me for choosing art because she's chinese, but her and her family are very tolerant and very far from the rigid, structure-loving asian stereotypes.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I can really relate to you. My mom and stepdad are both from Gen Y, born in 1977 and 1979 respectively. My mom's an ISFP and my stepdad's an ESxJ if it matters. I'm a 2nd generation American, and they expect me to get straight A's, but I usually don't. I guess I set high expectations when I did in elementary school... and they're constantly comparing me to myself a couple years ago, my 10 year old brother, who's a year ahead of his grade in Language Arts (he skips half a grade, I guess) and gets straight A's, my 6 year old sister who's always happy and has a natural talent for dancing, and this person I barely know who's a year below me, but a year older than me (she moved here from the Philippines and she couldn't be put in the right grade, I don't really know) that gets straight A's and plays at least three instruments and posts them on her Facebook (my parents are friends with her). To them, I'm just that average girl who has no real talent, does poorly in school (I take all honors classes, but I don't exactly do well in them), and hates everyone. My parents are extremely overprotective, and I haven't been to a friend's house since I was 8, unless I was working on a project and I called them every hour. And I have to be with them everywhere they go, and I have no say in that.

They'd much rather have me get a job that pays high than a job I'd actually enjoy, like voice acting or psychology, and whenever I try to do something related to them, they tell me to go and do something school-related instead.

And like you, I'm not a Christian like the rest of my family is, but I can't tell them. I'm dragged to church almost every Sunday and holiday or birthday. Maybe I'm just too afraid of telling them, especially my stepfather who's either narcissistic or has narcissistic tendencies because who knows what he'll do to me... He's extremely moody and passive-aggressive, so it's hard to tell what he's feeling and what angers him. Sometimes he's extremely happy, other times (which could take place after his happy episodes) he nitpicks and tries to find things he can scold me for. For example, he says I'm retarded for nodding my head when answering him... :confused: He'd start what he calls "arguments", which are actually 2 hour lectures on the same things. When I was 4, I told him he made my life miserable, and he still quotes 4 year old me :rolleyes: At least he isn't suffocating me in my sleep like he did when I was younger...

Another thing I'd like to add in here is that my mom is racist. She's been racist for as long as I can remember. I realized that she was completely irrational when I was 9, but didn't say anything until she found out one of my best (internet) friends was "black" (he's actually Guyanese), through my younger brother, and she told me not to talk to him. I asked her why she felt that way, and this angered her, and she started going on about how I'll have black children and how she won't take care of them, and how I should just move out and live with them. And she played the "you live under my house, you live under my rules" card. It wouldn't be worth it if I tried to change her mind about that, because it wouldn't work. Sometimes, when my mom is mad at my brother, he purposely brings this up, just so my mom could get mad at me instead of him. There are also other things about, but this one seems to be the biggest. I used to agree with my mom all the time as a kid, but no I see how ignorant she is :rolleyes:

So, I'm definitely not the kid my parents hoped they would get, aka, the disappointment :laughing:

Like the other posters, I don't think it's the generation as a whole, but it varies from family to family.
Well that was upsetting to read. If you ever need to talk, I'm always here BBQ :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What I will say, is that the younger generation, in my opinion, is more open than the older ones. Mostly because of education and increased awareness of things. So it's easier for us to develop our own views and express ourselves, and still be understanding and accepting of others.
That's in general though, it really depends on how we were brought up. So if our parents were brought up in an open family then they'll probably be more understanding towards us and they'll accept that we like our own things, and have our own path to take, so for them we won't be disappointments, because they wouldn't have planned all of our future out for us. Otherwise, then yeah we'd be disappointments xD

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I am personally in a family that is VERY liberal and very open with their ideals,
As what happened here was that our extremely conservative generation were the baby boomers,
Who were followed by the Gen X'ers who rebelled against them,
The Gen X'ers here we bombarded with political propaganda of freedom,
As were out Gen Y'ers and thus why here it's a little diferent for the Gen Z babies as we're now the third generation of babies who have been taught to be "free".

Essentially whats happening here is that the environment you're in was an extreme(I am guessing),
And did not cope with the modernization of it's younger members,
So there is bound to be differentiation in views and values when one generation has only know the "conservative" side,
And the other was born into a world that is rapidly evolving in everything from its views to its culture.

You're certainly not alone! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.