Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a guy doesn't introduce you to his family, do you think that he isn't taking you seriously?

A girl once told me that any guy who never introduces his girlfriend to his family is not taking her seriously. Do you think that is true?

I'm a bit shocked about that girl's view because I think about my situation with my family, and I get nervous about the idea of introducing my girlfriend to my family because I have a very horrible family.

I come from a poor family who has criminals and drug addicts in my main family, and the girl I'm currently seeing is from the upper class, so I know she never had to deal with any of this when she was growing up...

When she introduced me to her family, I saw how well off her family were that it made me feel insecure. I know she wants to meet mine, but I'm just so embarrassed to show her my family that I really just don't want to...

I know that I'm going to have to if I want to take this seriously... but damn, can I not show her my circus of a family, lol?

We're both in mid-20's.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If a guy doesn't introduce you to his family, do you think that he isn't taking you seriously?

A girl once told me that any guy who never introduces his girlfriend to his family is not taking her seriously. Do you think that is true?
I think it depends on the circumstance. In my opinion, it's rather ignorant for someone to write you off just because you don't want them to meet your family. However, you owe them an explanation of your reasoning and familial relationship. If you don't give your S/O any explanation as to why they can't meet your family, then of course they aren't going to take you seriously.

I'm a bit shocked about that girl's view because I think about my situation with my family, and I get nervous about the idea of introducing my girlfriend to my family because I have a very horrible family.

I come from a poor family who has criminals and drug addicts in my main family, and the girl I'm currently seeing is from the upper class, so I know she never had to deal with any of this when she was growing up...

When she introduced me to her family, I saw how well off her family were that it made me feel insecure. I know she wants to meet mine, but I'm just so embarrassed to show her my family that I really just don't want to...

I know that I'm going to have to if I want to take this seriously... but damn, can I not show her my circus of a family, lol?

We're both in mid-20's.
My relationship with my family is not very strong so I completely resonate with what you are saying. At the end of the day, everyone's home life is different. If my S/O wanted to meet them, I'd let it happen but I wouldn't make these meetings a regular event. I figure that for some people, just the fact that they've met your family is important to them, regardless of how much time you'll actually be around them in the future.

As far as the class/lifestyle difference goes, don't let it make you feel too insecure my dude. It sounds like she likes you a lot (enough to want to put up with your family at least once!) which is awesome.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,457 Posts
I think that's a rather common sentiment, but those who believe it I don't think take in consideration the bad/unhealthy/horrible families like the one you describe.
Best you can do is just tell her about your family really. Better sooner than later, too, especially since she already introduced you to hers.

My ex didn't want me to meet his family and to this day I have no idea why. I think it was because of their relationship rather than me specifically and because we were very young, he was late teens-early 20's and I was still underage. It bothered me somewhat, because he had meet my mother and he was refusing to introduce me to his and he wouldnt tell me why or couldn't understand his feelings either (young INTJ). I knew they weren't a problematic family at all, so it was something else.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts

We're both in mid-20's.
Tell her about your family and ask if she still wants to see them. What ever she answers: It's fine. Her choice, not yours.
You are not responsible for what your family members do and did.

If she breaks up because of your family history, ask yourself if you want an insanely judgmental GF.

Reactions: Skeletalz

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
I have never really cared.

I have always dated up socially speaking anyone I dated serious came from better than me except maybe one. I guess I just never struggled with this or caring. I have never thought my family is me.

My little sis is dating a well off well bread person. They have discussed marriage. She made comments about a few family members being embarrassing wedding guests. I really was baffled. I mean I can see it, I get it. But I just don't see why a black sheep would reflect on her. I told her I would dress like a street hooker when meeting her new in laws. Lmao I am such a bitch I know I scared the shit out of her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are not responsible for what your family members do and did.

If she breaks up because of your family history, ask yourself if you want an insanely judgmental GF.
Great advice! Thank you. I will introduce her to them since she did invite me over to see mine. If she does change after she meets them then she really isn't the one for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you get serious she's going to meet the rest of them eventually when the first one dies, funerals and all.
Maybe until they all die, so she won't have to listen to them speak :laughing: Lol, just kidding.

·
Banned
5,075 Posts
Maybe until they all die, so she won't have to listen to them speak :laughing: Lol, just kidding.
Then you'll have to sneak behind her back in funeral appropriate clothes, which - if you're a guy - also happen to be date appropriate clothes... You can see where this is going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts