Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 493 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What personality type are your parents?

My mom is an ESTJ - The Guardian. She is a model citizen of the community. As a mom, she is the best parent you can ever have. I love her to death.

My dad, I know nothing about because my mom left him when I was 5 years old and he died 2 years ago.

What are your parents personality types?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My dad is an ISTP, and my mom was an INFP. I think I got along with my mom better because she was always into crafts and stuff like that. We did activities etc together. My dad has a "hard worker" mentality.

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dad is an ISTP, and my mom was an INFP. I think I got along with my mom better because she was always into crafts and stuff like that. We did activities etc together. My dad has a "hard worker" mentality.
Your parents are introvert and your extrovert. My mom is an extrovert and I'm an introvert. Do you see a pattern? I think our personalities become opposite of our parents.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your parents are introvert and your extrovert. My mom is an extrovert and I'm an introvert. Do you see a pattern? I think our personalities become opposite of our parents.
I've thought about possibilities of personality relating to the types of the parents involved. But I don't think it's a simple correlation between introversion and extroversion. There's one guy I've spoken to online who is an ENTJ. His dad is an ENFJ. I'm not sure what type his mom is. Though I think there could be something where you create a "hybrid" style personality, according to my interpretation of Socionics, if two of the parents have conflicting personality types.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
My dad's an ISTJ and my mom's an INFJ. I love them both and had good relationships with them growing up. My mom is the one I can talk with easily about anything deep, important, or personal, but my dad stresses me out less. When my mom's away on business, the house is a lot less tense. My mom gets stressed out at work and takes it out on everything around her, tidying up frantically. I learned to associate cleaning and neatness with stress early on, which might be why I am an INFP instead of a J.

Reactions: rachelbird26

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've thought about possibilities of personality relating to the types of the parents involved. But I don't think it's a simple correlation between introversion and extroversion. There's one guy I've spoken to online who is an ENTJ. His dad is an ENFJ. I'm not sure what type his mom is. Though I think there could be something where you create a "hybrid" style personality, according to my interpretation of Socionics, if two of the parents have conflicting personality types.

I believe in your socionics theory, but I believe that everyone has more than one personality.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I believe in your socionics theory, but I believe that everyone has more than one personality.
Yeah, people aren't monolithic. We all have different building blocks. I'm technically an extrovert but I act like an introvert. I'm quite shy. I'm also a Gemini, so one might say that every aspect of me has a conflicting opposite :). People are bundles of processes. So you are right in saying that people have more than one personality, because we aren't one-sided, but many-faceted.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My mom is an ESTJ - The Guardian. She is a model citizen of the community. As a mom, she is the best parent you can ever have. I love her to death.

My dad, I know nothing about because my mom left him when I was 5 years old and he died 2 years ago.

Woot! Your mom is like me!!!!!

Haha. Yeah, my mom is too. She does so much work, and is still the best mother on earth. I also, love her to death.

I'm sorry to hear about your father, Lance. He's up there (points to the sky) though.

Cheers,

Sticky.

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woot! Your mom is like me!!!!!

Haha. Yeah, my mom is too. She does so much work, and is still the best mother on earth. I also, love her to death.

I'm sorry to hear about your father, Lance. He's up there (points to the sky) though.

Cheers,

Sticky.
Thank you for your comfort words. :proud:

·
Registered
871 Posts
ExTJ dad, ISTJ mom here.

horrible combination for ENFP and INTP kids, if you ask me. They did their best... but a steadily-angry ExTJ dad gets set off whenever people aren't doing what he wants them to (I think he's an N, but I'm not positive). They make a great match for each other, because duty-fulfilling ISTJ mom would hardly ever be caught doing anything but what she's supposed to.

Unfortunately, ENFP brother is much better off whenever he follows his intuition, rather than thinking things through. TJ parents try to teach careful planning and careful consideration into all decisions, but that includes rejecting feelings as any sort of basis for decisions. For an ENFP, that's just unhealthy. His intuition/feeling plans are far better than the ones he makes when he thinks about something.

That's only a problem for me because I never look like I'm considering anything. I was the kind of kid who would walk into traffic without a second thought when I was younger (and older...), and the fact that I don't seem to take initiative worries them greatly. Why "act" when opportunities keep presenting themselves? The J-ness is ugly, too, because they tend to associate planning with maturity. I tend to associate maturity with having reasons for the things you do, and both of them tend to follow the system. So we both (considering my parents as one entity) think the other living a seriously misguided life.

INTPs tend to not get along with their parents, though. They're certainly doing what they thought was best. I turned out very differently from how they wanted me to, though (the NT-ness they were cool with, but the I-P not so much.)

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ExTJ dad, ISTJ mom here.

horrible combination for ENFP and INTP kids, if you ask me. They did their best... but a steadily-angry ExTJ dad gets set off whenever people aren't doing what he wants them to (I think he's an N, but I'm not positive). They make a great match for each other, because duty-fulfilling ISTJ mom would hardly ever be caught doing anything but what she's supposed to.

Unfortunately, ENFP brother is much better off whenever he follows his intuition, rather than thinking things through. TJ parents try to teach careful planning and careful consideration into all decisions, but that includes rejecting feelings as any sort of basis for decisions. For an ENFP, that's just unhealthy. His intuition/feeling plans are far better than the ones he makes when he thinks about something.

That's only a problem for me because I never look like I'm considering anything. I was the kind of kid who would walk into traffic without a second thought when I was younger (and older...), and the fact that I don't seem to take initiative worries them greatly. Why "act" when opportunities keep presenting themselves? The J-ness is ugly, too, because they tend to associate planning with maturity. I tend to associate maturity with having reasons for the things you do, and both of them tend to follow the system. So we both (considering my parents as one entity) think the other living a seriously misguided life.

INTPs tend to not get along with their parents, though. They're certainly doing what they thought was best. I turned out very differently from how they wanted me to, though (the NT-ness they were cool with, but the I-P not so much.)

Parents are probably the greatest influence when it comes to developing a personality. I never knew that INTP's tend to not get along with their parents. My friend, who is an intp really gets along with his parents. I guess there are two types of intps eh?

Anyways, your parents sound like a good combination. At least they didn't get a divorce. Their are more single parents now than married. Consider yourself very lucky to have both that love you. :laughing:

·
Registered
871 Posts
yeah, I didn't either until I started looking around online forums (only like 2 months ago or so). The INTPs on INTPf had a topic about this, and it was probably 1 out of 10 who didn't have some major family-intimacy problems. So I kinda shrugged and said "well, a lot of people don't get along with their parents," because it's a young-people's forum, for the most part. Then I went to poke around on an INFJ forum, and they had a topic about it and I don't think there was anybody who said they weren't really close to their parents.

I think we might just be like black sheep... what about you other types?

·
Registered
5 Posts

petty similar story to yours..dad left whan i was 8, and died 5 years ago.(sorry to hear about you dad)
I think he was pretty introverted though. Mum is quite extroverted in an attention-seeking 'look at me' way. She also likes to impose her 'authority' and has a tendancy to crush others' opinions;I was brought up to be 'seen and not heard'
i wonder if I'd have grown up to be less introverted if dad had stayed around? i don't really mind being introverted though.
i wish i could say 'i love her to death', but as it is, I don't even like her! may sound harsh, but....
just wondering..did you ask your parents to take the test, or have 'you' given responses on their behalf?

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, I didn't either until I started looking around online forums (only like 2 months ago or so). The INTPs on INTPf had a topic about this, and it was probably 1 out of 10 who didn't have some major family-intimacy problems. So I kinda shrugged and said "well, a lot of people don't get along with their parents," because it's a young-people's forum, for the most part. Then I went to poke around on an INFJ forum, and they had a topic about it and I don't think there was anybody who said they weren't really close to their parents.

I think we might just be like black sheep... what about you other types?
I am close to my mother but I tend to not want to "hang out" with her. lol. I think its just normal for us to have this kind of notion. We usually like to rebel against are parents wishes. :tongue:

petty similar story to yours..dad left whan i was 8, and died 5 years ago.(sorry to hear about you dad)
I think he was pretty introverted though. Mum is quite extroverted in an attention-seeking 'look at me' way. She also likes to impose her 'authority' and has a tendancy to crush others' opinions;I was brought up to be 'seen and not heard'
i wonder if I'd have grown up to be less introverted if dad had stayed around? i don't really mind being introverted though.
i wish i could say 'i love her to death', but as it is, I don't even like her! may sound harsh, but....
just wondering..did you ask your parents to take the test, or have 'you' given responses on their behalf?
I have given responses based on their behalf. Anyways, I am sorry for the loss of your father.

I know its none of my business, but I believe your mom just wants the best for you. She is a single mom working hard to provide for you. This is probably the reason why your mom is strict towards you because she wants you to have the best life. She is using the tough love method because you never grew up with a father. Anyways, that is just my take on it. At least she didn't abandon you like some parents would. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. :proud:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have given responses based on their behalf
It'd be interesting to see if their responses would match your supposed ones.
Anyways, I am sorry for the loss of your father.
thanks..it was quite a brutal death....how did your dad die?

I know its none of my business, but I believe your mom just wants the best for you.
you're right...of course she does, and i know that...but there is wanting the best, and imposing what she believes to be the best
She is a single mom working hard to provide for you.
i respect the fact she worked hard, as a single Mum...(it's a LONNNG time now since i lived at home, though)
Anyways, that is just my take on it. At least she didn't abandon you like some parents would. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.
i do consider myself lucky as i found the strength to make my own way....as i said, it may sound harsh, but....

·
Registered
871 Posts
how do you deal with ESTJs? I'm leaning towards thinking my dad is that one.

...or do you not have a problem with him getting angry all the time, because you're (stereotypically, of course) more motivated to succeed in life?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Its my mother actually. And she was violent when I was younger. I must say, I don't get on with her. She brought me into the world, kicking and screaming, and raised me kicking, and now I just get on with things at my own pace. Her T function does not match mine. She is indeed far more reactive.

Best tip: Acknowledge that the ESTJ parent sees you as a part of their collective. You are not a human, you are a function. Fail to meet their requirements, they are displeased. Exert enough competence and authority and convince them that such a competence is authoritative beyond that of mere offspring, and you have a trump card.

Takes quite some time to develop though, and oft they don't care. I deal by refusing to acknowledge the authority and simply assess her perspective, pick a few holes in it and convince her that it would be better done this way (my way). Its manipulative, sure, but it tends to work. Even with non-related ESTJs. :cool:

1 - 20 of 493 Posts