Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Ummm... I heard that Hillary Clinton and Judge Judy are ESTJs.

There are also Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Sandra Day O' Connor, Barbara Stanwyck, Pat Head Summit, and Bette Davis. (Don't ask, I don't know who the heck they are)

·
Registered
Justice for old perc
3,083 Posts
Mary Sue ... Can't even be typed since MBTI includes weaknesses and flaws. Hermoine had none.
Wrong. Hermione feared failure and felt insecure, particularly when she was young. She was also a know it all, to the point of being annoying and arrogant. While the audience generally agreed with her disdain of Luna, how she acted was dismissive and snobby. Her dislike of other females is evident in all of her relationships with other girls, except for Ginny and Mrs. Weasley. She was also a notorious goody two shoes, as exemplified by telling the professors about Harry's Firebolt from Sirius. While it was supposed to be in Harry's best interest, it's still disloyal to her friend.

I don't think she's ESTJ though.

·
Registered
17,697 Posts
Wrong. Hermione feared failure and felt insecure, particularly when she was young. She was also a know it all, to the point of being annoying and arrogant. While the audience generally agreed with her disdain of Luna, how she acted was dismissive and snobby. Her dislike of other females is evident in all of her relationships with other girls, except for Ginny and Mrs. Weasley. She was also a notorious goody two shoes, as exemplified by telling the professors about Harry's Firebolt from Sirius. While it was supposed to be in Harry's best interest, it's still disloyal to her friend.

I don't think she's ESTJ though.
Those are flaws only from the perspective of those who see them as flaws. They were not however presented as flaws because nothing happened to Hermoine as a consequence of those flaws that would have encouraged her to improve/change/grow as a character tho.

Flawed characters that are written with the perspective of being flawed get into trouble because of those flaws. When did Hermoine ever find herself in trouble?

·
Registered
Justice for old perc
3,083 Posts
Those are flaws only from the perspective of those who see them as flaws. They were not however presented as flaws because nothing happened to Hermoine as a consequence of those flaws that would have encouraged her to improve/change/grow as a character tho.

Flawed characters that are written with the perspective of being flawed get into trouble because of those flaws. When did Hermoine ever find herself in trouble?
That's because the author made Hermione like herself. People often have a difficult time recognizing their flaws.

Those are flaws, though. Most of them are part of why my peers didn't like me when I was young. Some of them are flaws associated with SJs.

·
Registered
17,697 Posts
Those are flaws, though. Most of them are part of why my peers didn't like me when I was young. Some of them are flaws associated with SJs.
I don't think just having flaws where there's no consequence of those flaws changes the fact that she was a Mary Sue. In the beginning she was disliked by her peers, but as the book went on, without her changing anything about herself, Rowling simply forgot that Hermoine wasn't supposed to be liked. That aspect was simply ignored and written out without Hermoine changing a thing about herself.

Compare her to other characters who had real flaws where they faced real consequences of those flaws. They reflected on them. Even Dumbledore recognized his mistakes and admitted them. Harry was always racked with self-doubt and consistently overcame what was flawed in him.

If you can give me an instance where one of Hermoine's flaws had any consequences and she had to overcome some weakness, I might change my mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts