·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they readily exist?

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
While I can't think of any famous ones, I'm pretty sure INTP 4's can exist, though I imagine such a person would be pretty conflicted. I tried looking it up and one person described such a character as "An emotional and identity-seeking person who relies on logic to make decisions."

Then there was this lovely infographic:

Famous ones, though, you might need to do a little digging. Or there aren't any, since the type combo is so rare.

Reactions: ann18 and nichya

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Beck, one of my favorite musicians of all time, might be one, if not a 5w4.

(I love how Howard, a 7w8, asks him about getting chicks and drugs and he's so apathetic)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The supposed rarity and lack of celebrity examples could as well indicate they don't exist at all. Let's not entertain thoughts that rare traits destine individuals to low profile existences.

Think of celebrities, or general people, with the O- blood type, genius-level intelligence, red hair, heterochromia, hemophilia, who are human chimaeras, etc.... You'll more often than not find them. Are they less likely to be famous due to their rare traits? The odds are only higher categorically. Their chances, as people, are as below average as anyone else's. Thus, like non-rare celebs, they do appear as celebrities every now and again. Rare doesn't mean no testable/observable proof. I strongly feel an INTP, 4 celebrity would surface like any other would.

If nothing else, be skeptical of people's ideas of what it means to be a certain MBTI or Enneagram type. Don't assume they know it all. Cuz...c'mon, it's the internet.

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
I am an INTP 4 and I don't feel conflicted. Why would I?
INTP and Type Four seem to conflict according to most definitions...but emotional matters are probably the biggest contradiction.

The Enneagram Four is usually characterized as emotional and dramatic, full of inner conflict. They indulge and identify with their emotions. Contrast the Feeling-inferior INTP, who are stereotyped as out of touch with their emotions, repressing and dismissing them as illogical.

I know these are at least partially stereotypes, but it would seem that a Thinking-dominant and the most emotionally reactive Enneagram type wouldn't work...though I'll say that when you look at the Type Four motivations and fixations, I can see how an INTP can be a Four...they'll just express it a bit differently than the more typical NF fours.

Did you take a look at that infographic I posted? I pretty much runs down a list of contradicting traits.

One last thing: paging @Privileged. You're an INTP 4. Any insights on the type combo?

·
Registered
322 Posts
While being Ti first, INTP still have feelings and emotions, and strong ones with that, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm quite happy being a 4 as I think it makes me a well-rounded individual. As for the contradicting traits on your diagram, how are they contradicting in the first place? I'd say most of them complete each others. I mean, why would it be so contradicting to search for knowledge AND for beauty, for example? As for the others, I'd say one prevails over the other depending on the situation.

I think that both INTP and 4 are inner-conflicted until they learn how to develop themselves. I was very unhealthy for a while until I found out about MBTI and enneagram types which helped me to understand myself and the pitfalls I had to work on, and thus promote my self-growth.

I can develop if anyone has specific questions.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
While I can't think of any famous ones, I'm pretty sure INTP 4's can exist, though I imagine such a person would be pretty conflicted. I tried looking it up and one person described such a character as "An emotional and identity-seeking person who relies on logic to make decisions."

Then there was this lovely infographic:

Famous ones, though, you might need to do a little digging. Or there aren't any, since the type combo is so rare.
Honestly the infographic is much telling about me as well, I can relate to everything. I am a 4w5 INFP

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
While being Ti first, INTP still have feelings and emotions, and strong ones with that, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm quite happy being a 4 as I think it makes me a well-rounded individual. As for the contradicting traits on your diagram, how are they contradicting in the first place? I'd say most of them complete each others. I mean, why would it be so contradicting to search for knowledge AND for beauty, for example? As for the others, I'd say one prevails over the other depending on the situation.

I think that both INTP and 4 are inner-conflicted until they learn how to develop themselves. I was very unhealthy for a while until I found out about MBTI and enneagram types which helped me to understand myself and the pitfalls I had to work on, and thus promote my self-growth.

I can develop if anyone has specific questions.

Actually, I agree with you, particularly regarding the contradictions actually being complementary, or at least capable of existing within one person. Heck, I even see them in myself (social Four is beginning to look disturbingly familiar). I don't see them as necessarily in conflict, but I can see how they might come across as such.

Random contribution: I also stumbled on an interesting speculation about Kafka being an INTP 4w5...

Reactions: Kikyo

·
Registered
322 Posts
I still can't think of any famous INTP 4 because even though they may exist, not all of them are easily typed. However, when it comes to fictionnal characters, I firmly believe Rhaegar Targaryen from A Song of Ice and Fire is one. Here you can read his description.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
INTP and Type Four seem to conflict according to most definitions...but emotional matters are probably the biggest contradiction.

The Enneagram Four is usually characterized as emotional and dramatic, full of inner conflict. They indulge and identify with their emotions. Contrast the Feeling-inferior INTP, who are stereotyped as out of touch with their emotions, repressing and dismissing them as illogical.

I know these are at least partially stereotypes, but it would seem that a Thinking-dominant and the most emotionally reactive Enneagram type wouldn't work...though I'll say that when you look at the Type Four motivations and fixations, I can see how an INTP can be a Four...they'll just express it a bit differently than the more typical NF fours.

Did you take a look at that infographic I posted? I pretty much runs down a list of contradicting traits.

One last thing: paging @Privileged. You're an INTP 4. Any insights on the type combo?

Well, I can't really see the infographic currently, but I can tell you how it works for me personally, I guess?

You can be out of touch with your actual emotions now while still identifying with your emotions and indulging them, and in my own case I actually think that the disconnect I have with what I feel can actually cause me to identify more strongly with the emotions I have felt--because I don't naturally have much emotional drive, I view keeping what I've got as probably a bit more important than many NFs might. Squaring what appears to be contradictory here is literally just a matter of recognizing the difference in tense.

But I suppose that doesn't explain it perfectly, because there's another part of the INTP disconnect with emotions that I didn't address, which is that dismissal of emotionally derived values/beliefs/etc. And to that I will say there's a bit of a misinterpretation of how thinkers work in general afoot. Thinkers want to have rational justifications for their ideas, but that doesn't mean they always are rational. I've been quite explicit in the past, actually, about how my emotional attachment to certain ideas/modes of thinking has motivated the positions I take in debates. That doesn't mean I don't try to approach it rationally, because if I don't approach it rationally I feel silly and incompetent, but...I don't dismiss the emotion itself so much as the emotional justification.

But hell, I've also admitted in the past that going by the Maitri alone I'd be pretty squarely in the Type 6 box, so who knows really? :laughing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts