Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friends just shared this on Facebook, and it is worth reading.

"Depression is a disease. It's not an issue or a demon, although it may act like one. And if you want to honor Wade's memory, do it this way; never ever tell someone to snap out of it. And never ask anyone, what do you have to be depressed about? Start accepting depression as a serious and sometimes fatal illness."

Landsberg: His depression and his friend, Wade Belak

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
One of my friends just shared this on Facebook, and it is worth reading.

"Depression is a disease. It's not an issue or a demon, although it may act like one. And if you want to honor Wade's memory, do it this way; never ever tell someone to snap out of it. And never ask anyone, what do you have to be depressed about? Start accepting depression as a serious and sometimes fatal illness."

Landsberg: His depression and his friend, Wade Belak
In support of what you just said, here's an article from Health.com about
what words do help and don't help a person experiencing clinical depression.

But for what my remarks are worth:
First of all: If I could "snap out of it," I would; depression doesn't work that way.

Second: Major depression can and often does seep into your very body,
sapping the energy you might otherwise use to fight it.

Third: It's too easy to invite people with depression to go ahead and commit
suicide--even if such an invitation is morally equivalent to murder.

Fourth: I've said it before, but it's worth saying again: The one thing worse
than crying is when you don't have the energy to cry. When you don't have
the energy to cry--that's when depression is upon you.

Fifth: Snakecharmer, you're [emphatically] right that article is worth reading--especially the quote.
I posted the link and the quote to Health.com as a comment on the article
10 Things to Say and 10 Not to say to Someone With Depression. Apparently,
some buffoons just don't get it when it comes to depression....

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I'm an avid hockey fan, so this was a shock to me. Wade Belak was one of those guys you'd never guess struggled with depression. I think this article was a poignant tribute and sad commentary of how many people nowadays are disconnected with each other. Technology simply cannot substitute for personal touch and attention. No matter how many times, I hear the response "fine," I'll always think in the back of my mind, "that person is not fine."

RIP Wade Belak

1,411 Posts
After having my grips with depression leading to suicidal tendencies for me, the mental state of mind at the time was not that I wanted to end life and be selfish for my suffering, it was more like I can't take this shit anymore in life but I had no choice in the matter, I was stuck. Living was just suffering to a point of not wanting to go on anymore and being entrapped to that lifestyle and the circumstances at the time, like hiking through the Himalayas and after your last foot falls off from frostbite and you having the attitude of "Fuck this".

Reactions: Lunar Eclipse

·
Registered
249 Posts
That was a very powerful article. It amazes me how many people are still unwilling to see that depression is a serious disease. Mental conditions are still taboo and people suffer in silence for fear of being labeled as crazy. It's very sad.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After having my grips with depression leading to suicidal tendencies for me, the mental state of mind at the time was not that I wanted to end life and be selfish for my suffering, it was more like I can't take this shit anymore in life but I had no choice in the matter, I was stuck. Living was just suffering to a point of not wanting to go on anymore and being entrapped to that lifestyle and the circumstances at the time, like hiking through the Himalayas and after your last foot falls off from frostbite and you having the attitude of "Fuck this".
I hope you are doing okay now.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Exactly. Everything is just numb and nothing feels good. It's not like a constant barrage of pain and suffering. I remember when I did cry, it felt like such a relief. But mostly I just felt cold and dead and empty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A young guy was posting on a Swedish forum called flashback, saying he was going
to commit suicide. Posters egged him on and he ended up doing it, the video off it floating around on the internet.

Damn screwed up.

Swedish man dies in live 'cyber suicide' broadcast - The Local
Swedish Teenager Hangs Himself in Live “Cyber Suicide” | Global Crisis News

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hmm that's was a interesting article. However, if people with major depression seek help they may pass it on to their children. Maybe they should kills themselves or at least not breed. I have major depression, sure I take meds and see psychologists, although I know I can never reproduce. I think that if there is any possibilities that I can pass this on (which I can) why should I? What is the point of passing this terrible disease on? There isn't.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Krutz: I note that you cited one of my remarks in an earlier post. (thanks!)

A young guy was posting on a Swedish forum called flashback, saying he was going
to commit suicide. Posters egged him on and he ended up doing it, the video off it floating around on the internet.

Damn screwed up.

Swedish man dies in live 'cyber suicide' broadcast - The Local
Swedish Teenager Hangs Himself in Live “Cyber Suicide” | Global Crisis News
Brrr! So something along that line actually did happen.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hmm that's was a interesting article. However, if people with major depression seek help they may pass it on to their children. Maybe they should kills themselves or at least not breed. I have major depression, sure I take meds and see psychologists, although I know I can never reproduce. I think that if there is any possibilities that I can pass this on (which I can) why should I? What is the point of passing this terrible disease on? There isn't.
Remarks (read: wisecracks) of that kind are precisely why people are so reluctant to seek appropriate help for clinical depression; they're part of the stigma surrounding mental illnesses in general and depression in particular.

And they are wrong in many different ways: Depression is non-communicable, unlike a cold (at the mild end of communicable disease) or AIDS (at the most fearsome end). Depression does not affect your sexual plumbing, so you can too reproduce. Above all else, life is worth the living for people with depression; we're persons first.

1,411 Posts
... because its still a theory that it's genetic perhaps?

1,411 Posts
In my case I was on probation for a crime I was innocent of and did jail time. Afterwords they had me looking for a job AND attending school full time. Because of my record I was only allowed manual labor which made me go nuts from how much shit I had to handle on a daily basis and it had to be that way in order for me not to go to jail. I didn't even need the god damn job but the rules state otherwise. I'll tell ya right now the system is a loaded piece of shit that sent me through a tailspin toward hell and back making anyone want to put a bullet in their head rather than face the consequences of going back to prison. I wasn't the only one with these intentions under the circumstances.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Remarks (read: wisecracks) of that kind are precisely why people are so reluctant to seek appropriate help for clinical depression; they're part of the stigma surrounding mental illnesses in general and depression in particular.

And they are wrong in many different ways: Depression is non-communicable, unlike a cold (at the mild end of communicable disease) or AIDS (at the most fearsome end). Depression does not affect your sexual plumbing, so you can too reproduce.
Above all else, life is worth the living for people with depression; we're persons first.
Only the brave seek help, it is the only the brave you think "I can't do this by myself and I need help". It is the only the brave you seek help and do not care what the community says about them. Only the brave survive this disease and that's the way it should be.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If you think the way you do, then we all carry many hidden genetic disorders, but they aren't always passed on to our offsprings. How will you explain, a family with parents whom are completely happy, yet a child whom suffers from severe depression? Major depression is usually caused by external factors, though some people actually suffer from clinical depression.

Reactions: journeytoforever

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
For real? Sounds like you're advocating eugenics here....

1,411 Posts
If you think the way you do, then we all carry many hidden genetic disorders, but they aren't always passed on to our offsprings. How will you explain, a family with parents whom are completely happy, yet a child whom suffers from severe depression? Major depression is usually caused by external factors, though some people actually suffer from clinical depression.
Yeah, depression is mostly circumstantial in most people I have come across with in this life. A husband that is abusive, a life that is burdened with obligations you have no means of getting away from. Sorry but genetics is pulling at straws for an excuse of the disease rather than it's main root. You look at prescriptions of anti-depresants go up in a down economy and during war... gee I wander what causes that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts