Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I've been lately pondering this one scene that I seems to pop to mind every now and then. It's one that I made up over the weeks. Ideally, I'd really like it to appear as a premise for a movie if it were ever possible. As an old Final Fantasy fan with nostalgia of the old days, I've always pictured myself as some kind of hero in a fictitious storyline. As a result of these machinations, I spent the last 20 minutes typing a script for a scene that would take place in imaginary movie.

I don't know whether this imagined scene makes me simply a dreamer or a hopeless romantic who fantasizes about protecting a woman (typical ISTJ attitude?). Well, here goes!

[Ending Scene to Episode 1 of Final Fantasy _??_]

The villainous sorcerer laughs sinisterly as he casts a spell that creates a giant wind tunnel to banish the woman to another realm where she is to become trapped for eternity. The candle formation that had been lit gets quickly blown out with the cathedral's lights still maintaining visibility. As the woman vanishes into the vortex, her last thought is that she wished that she'd seen a certain someone for the very last time. The vortex abruptly closes and the villain celebrates his success, having finally captured the woman whom he had been hunting for years.

Moments later, the double doors leading to the main chapel open slowly.

[FFVII bombing mission track begins]

A tall young man emerges from the opening. Donning a wiry frame wrapped in sport coat typical of young, aspiring professionals, he peers through his glasses around the chapel room and calls out "Hello?" but receives no answer. With a nondescript expression, he scans the pews slowly room, pondering whether the loud noises he had earlier heard while climbing up the stairs had been simply figments of his imagination.

He approaches the formation of wax candles, now all extinguished by the windy vortex spawned earlier, intending to make a silent prayer to the powers that be and possibly meet with his spiritual counselor who is strangely absent at this time. His leather shoes strike the floor, creating audible, rhythmic beats that carry across the room. He walks with a straight back and a gait of a man who has always lived his life with a strict adherence to etiquette and a sense of moral conviction. As he nears the dead candles to begin a moment of prayer, a shiny object on the ground catches his eye. An earring with a familiar-looking green-colored gemstone lies on the stairs, abandoned by its owner. The young man reaches over and picks it up, holding it in his hand and examining the distinct shape and hue of the earring’s stone. Recognizing it as belonging to the very same woman whom he’d met on multiple occasions at his job and the park, he wonders whether she had been there earlier. He for a brief moment reflects upon all the times he'd spent with her and his budding fascination in her seemingly endless cheerfulness and easy laughter that had grown over time. Quickly shaking his head at what he deems should be useless thoughts, the young man mumbles, "Why am I thinking about her?" He frowns decides he'll just return the earring to the woman when he meets her again.

As he turns to leave, he comes nearly face to face with an old man who had somehow managed to approach him from behind unnoticed. Chuckling humorously at the young man’s startled reaction, the elderly man lifts what appears to be a gnarled staff in greeting and asks him, “Do you wish to save her?”'

The camera immediately zooms toward the ground and quickly zooms away from it. What was a cathedral rapidly shrinks from view and becomes tinier as the view of the city is visible, only to also become smaller. The city's lights are briefly visible from afar before the screen turns black and the credits roll. The ending song becomes louder, almost as though it were suggesting that this is only the beginning of much to come…

Again, this this is just a random scene that's been on my mind lately. I hope it wasn't too lame!

But more importantly: What does this say about me? Does this reflect any conscious/unconscious thoughts I've been having?

·
Registered
59 Posts
To me, I think the fact that you fantasize as a hero is rather mundane really, since I would imagine that a good deal of people do something similar. In other words, you're human.

As for the actual fantasy itself, I don't think it's lame at all, since I'd be calling myself lame for having similar fantasies, though on perhaps a larger scale (mine involve me jumping multiverses, saving planets, and fighting cosmic threats while being TOTALLY SWEET and/or AWESOME).

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me, I think the fact that you fantasize as a hero is rather mundane really, since I would imagine that a good deal of people do something similar. In other words, you're human.

As for the actual fantasy itself, I don't think it's lame at all, since I'd be calling myself lame for having similar fantasies, though on perhaps a larger scale (mine involve me jumping multiverses, saving planets, and fighting cosmic threats while being TOTALLY SWEET and/or AWESOME).

Nice to know! :laughing:

Maybe I've just been bored with life lately and in need of some kind of adventure. School CAN get monotonous.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree that school can get monotonous. With my own fantasy, I started off with the ideas for me/my character about 12 years ago, back when I was in eighth grade. I say me/my character because sometimes I think to myself, "Hmm...I've developed this guy into someone completely different than when he started out. He's no longer really 'me'."

Still though, the adventures I've imagined he goes through are rather...fantastical. This is mainly due to the fact that at the time, I was heavily influenced by Dragonball Z and incorporated a load of motifs and mechanics from that series.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that school can get monotonous. With my own fantasy, I started off with the ideas for me/my character about 12 years ago, back when I was in eighth grade. I say me/my character because sometimes I think to myself, "Hmm...I've developed this guy into someone completely different than when he started out. He's no longer really 'me'."

Still though, the adventures I've imagined he goes through are rather...fantastical. This is mainly due to the fact that at the time, I was heavily influenced by Dragonball Z and incorporated a load of motifs and mechanics from that series.

Ahhh. Now that's just interesting. I haven't retained a single character over time. I hope you don't mind my stealing your idea as I now plan to make my own character who changes and grows over time.

In the mean time, you should become a writer. :laughing:

As for me, I'm going to give my character a name and a story line. But more importantly...I'm going to try to live the story to some extent while at the same time have him be a manifestation of who I am and how I'm living.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I like it! :happy: As I was reading it I was imagining it as an anime :crazy:

I don't know whether this imagined scene makes me simply a dreamer or a hopeless romantic who fantasizes about protecting a woman (typical ISTJ attitude?).
Dreaming can be fun ^^ My ideal other half would be a protector ^^ I CAN 'protect' myself but it's so much nicer if someone else takes it upon themselves to do that :tongue: I am definitely a protector for my friends though.

Both the 'hero' and the 'woman' regret not taking the initiative which is perhaps how you view your past experiences? I assume you've embodied yourself as the hero who appears to be of the (adorable) nerdy type, someone who stereotypically isn't one of those super confident types nor extroverted :tongue:

The old man who offers the hero a chance to save the woman perhaps shows that you wish that you could have corrected a past 'mistake' or had someone give you another chance?

So that's my analysis if I HAD to make one and read 'past the words' ^^

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it! :happy: As I was reading it I was imagining it as an anime :crazy:

Dreaming can be fun ^^ My ideal other half would be a protector ^^ I CAN 'protect' myself but it's so much nicer if someone else takes it upon themselves to do that :tongue:

Both the 'hero' and the 'woman' regret not taking the initiative which is perhaps how you view your past experiences? I assume you've embodied yourself as the hero who appears to be of the (adorable) nerdy type, someone who stereotypically isn't one of those super confident types nor extroverted :tongue:

The old man who offers the hero a chance to save the woman perhaps shows that you wish that you could have corrected a past 'mistake' or had someone give you another chance?

So that's my analysis if I HAD to make one and read 'past the words' ^^
Guilty. :blushed:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Random thought: I have never imagined myself as 'the hero' when I have written stories etc. I wonder if any other females have fantasized about being a 'hero'?

Also, I never did answer the title of this thread. I think you're a hopeful dreamer and a chivalrous romantic (well there wasn't much chivalry in the story but heroes are stereotypically chivalrous) ^^

Other possible 'insights' into your story:

The hero embarked on his quest in a solitary way aka there were no 'cheering crowds' etc. The only other person who knew about his quest to save the woman was the quest initiator. Perhaps you don't feel the need for public recognition for deeds done nor as an 'incentive' to do something. Haha this might be a stretch :crazy:

Even more of a stretch:
The setting where the 'evil deed' aka the banishing of the woman took place was a chapel which traditionally symbolises goodness and repelling of evil. So perhaps you are not religious? However I guess a chapel does allow for a dramatisation of the scene e.g. the candles, big double doors etc.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Random thought: I have never imagined myself as 'the hero' when I have written stories etc. I wonder if any other females have fantasized about being a 'hero'?

Also, I never did answer the title of this thread. I think you're a hopeful dreamer and a chivalrous romantic (well there wasn't much chivalry in the story but heroes are stereotypically chivalrous) ^^
Dear God. I didn't even realize it until now. :shocked:

Now that you mentioned it this character IS a manifestation of where I am in life. I purposely made him have my physical features and personality type...but now that I think about it, where he is ALSO represents where I am! Eeek! I unconsciously created a fictitious character who completely represents me!

However...

Note: He's now at a crossroads. He can choose the easier path in the road. He can to laugh at the old man and in an ISTJ-like manner sarcastically ask him, "And just who the hell are you, the tooth fairy with a poor sense of fashion? It's not Halloween yet. Get lost, grandpa." He can then walk away and leave the cathedral while forgetting this encounter ever took place. If this happens, he won't become the hero you envision him to be. He'll still be the same, tired, overworked law firm associate who hates life but still lives on day by day working at the same old job and living the same old life. He'll wonder what happened to the woman, whether she disappeared forever without even saying good-bye.

The alternative path is he accepts the man's offer and opens himself to a world of magic and occult that he never knew existed. He becomes the protagonist and hero of an adventure of a lifetime. He ceases complaining about what could have been (not ending up unhappy at a high-paying albeit grueling job) and instead concentrates on what can be. He decides to follow his heart for once and let go of his own insecurities, his fears, and his doubts. He willingly loses his old goal of becoming a rich, successful attorney.

As the story progresses and as we learn that saving the woman is not just a matter of love but also of saving the world, it's a long journey in which he gains many friends and allies along the way who find sympathy in his cause or decide to partner up with him for personal fortune.

But most important, the tale is essentially one in which it's also how he reaches these goals that also matter. At some point, he may be forced to choose whether to sacrifice even his own life to save her. That moment will define who he becomes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Note: He's now at a crossroads. He can choose the easier path in the road. He can to laugh at the old man and in an ISTJ-like manner sarcastically ask him, "And just who the hell are you, the tooth fairy with a poor sense of fashion? It's not Halloween yet. Get lost, grandpa."
But then your story wouldn't have a 'point' to it :crazy: It'd be like having a movie where noone gets saved and earth gets destroyed (there probably are a few movies with those sort of endings but majority of movies usually end happily).

If you do feel like you are at a crossroads then I guess you better think carefully about your choice ^^

But most important, the tale is essentially one in which it's also how he reaches these goals that also matter. At some point, he may be forced to choose whether to sacrifice even his own life to save her. That moment will define who he becomes.
That moment would define who he becomes...in the instant before his death if he chooses death. It would be more a case of how people remember him when he's gone.

Nice to know you have a general storyline sketched out :happy:

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Other possible 'insights' into your story:

The hero embarked on his quest in a solitary way aka there were no 'cheering crowds' etc. The only other person who knew about his quest to save the woman was the quest initiator. Perhaps you don't feel the need for public recognition for deeds done nor as an 'incentive' to do something. Haha this might be a stretch :crazy:

Even more of a stretch:
The setting where the 'evil deed' aka the banishing of the woman took place was a chapel which traditionally symbolises goodness and repelling of evil. So perhaps you are not religious? However I guess a chapel does allow for a dramatisation of the scene e.g. the candles, big double doors etc.

Hah. I'm a Christian, yes, but not Catholic. But the cathedral scene was adopted for aesthetic purposes as it is often in many Hollywood movies.

I imagine the woman is fleeing from the sorcerer while being aware that she can't possibly win against him with the huge difference in magical abilities. She eventually comes across the cathedral. This will be the place where she and the main character first met each other during (insert some kind of symbolic event).

But a brief battle takes place between the sorcerer and the woman before the former captures the latter and vanishes into the night. The main character will be happening to visit the cathedral on that day to seek life advice from his spiritual leader who has been temporarily knocked out unconscious during the course of the battle.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But then your story wouldn't have a 'point' to it :crazy: It'd be like having a movie where noone gets saved and earth gets destroyed (there probably are a few movies with those sort of endings but majority of movies usually end happily).

If you do feel like you are at a crossroads then I guess you better think carefully about your choice ^^

That moment would define who he becomes...in the instant before his death if he chooses death. It would be more a case of how people remember him when he's gone.

Nice to know you have a general storyline sketched out :happy:
A lot of possibilites.

He may learn early on that in order to completely defeat and seal away the sorcerer, a mage with enough power has to cast a spell that will also kill its user. As someone who's naturally attuned with a strong sense of right and wrong, he'll naturally choose himself as the sacrifice early on.

But then again, the possibilities for how this ends are numerous.

I need to go to bed. :tongue:

·
Registered
421 Posts
The main character will be happening to visit the cathedral on that day to seek life advice from his spiritual leader who has been temporarily knocked out unconscious during the course of the battle.
My first thought:

*facepalm* :crazy:​

A lot of possibilites.
I need to go to bed. :tongue:
Get some sleep. It helps in making clear-headed decisions ^^

I myself need to turn off this distracting contraption that is sucking away all my time! :shocked:

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My first thought:

[Yoda image]

*facepalm* :crazy: [/CENTER]

Get some sleep. It helps in making clear-headed decisions ^^

I myself need to turn off this distracting contraption that is sucking away all my time! :shocked:
Same here!

You just gave me an idea.

That spiritual leader may actually be the old sage in a disguise. The old sage may be a spirit-version of what he once was hundreds of years ago when he and his brethren once fought against the forces of the sorcerer. He'll have disguised himself as an ordinary Catholic priest who's waiting for someone to take up the mantle that he himself once held. Because of his current state, he's incapable of taking on the sorcerer and can only provide guidance and education. Whether it's by coincidence or an unspoken tie that exists between the woman and the old sage, the young man whether by fate or destiny ends up at the cathedral.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Details aside...I'm going to DEFINITELY be thinking about this story I made up all week. I'm not sure that I'll turn this into a hobby. But I need to give my character a name that's not my own.

But I also need to work on character growth. This means articulating his attributes. His character strengths and his shortcomings as a human being.

His fears. What does he fear? Uncertainty? Moving out of his comfort zone into a new world?

His doubts. Why is he saving this woman? Why is he putting his life on the line?

His desires. What is it he wants? What is life to him? Is there something significant in all of this?

His battles with his enemies and with himself. The worst enemy is always himself. He may battle enemies with great power and strength, but his worst enemy will always be himself until he learns to acknowledge his weaknesses. Evil spirits who enter his body/mind will attempt to exploit his character flaws and weaknesses to take over his body.

How does he view his friends and companions? Will he remain the lone ranger forever, or will he find the value in companionship and camaraderie?

That said, GOOD NIGHT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts