Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an INFJ (e4w5) fashion designer. Being that we are so diverse in what we’re capable of and interested in, this may not be all that big of a surprise to other INFJs…but it may very well be in the since that the fashion industry is possibly one of the most superficial, exploitive, and degrade-the-world kind of industries.

I am curious to know if there are any other INFJs out there that are also apart of a surface-y type of industry, and how do you/or that INFJ that you know deal with it?

I’d like to continue on with a little more information about me, than just leaving that question hanging there:

From a very early age, actually, my earliest memories include fashion: times when I dressed myself, despite my parents’ efforts, in the most bizarre of outfits. I was so painfully shy that strangers thought that I had a hearing problem because I would not answer their questions—merely stare. Dressing myself in the manner that I chose was my voice, and though I speak to people now, it still continues to be my internal voice made tangible. I also began sewing at a very young age, creating soft sculptures to wear, always pushing boundaries even when I was mocked for it; attended and graduated college for fashion design and have received a myriad of awards along the way.
I can say objectively that I am very gifted at this and designing truly fills me with joy. I have also excelled in many events and situations when all odds were against me. So with this, I tell you that I know with all the certainty of my being that I am meant to be apart of this industry, though it is undoubtedly not apart of me. I have very much been led and called in this direction for my life and will continue to pursue my career as a designer no matter how long I am frustrated on a moral level. I know that there are ways, (some of which I have already discovered, and others, I’ll probably spend my lifetime learning) to go about my way in this industry… in MY way—not superficially, exploitive, and carelessly; but with great meaning and depth. I so long to help and connect the world in a profound way with others, but all I have to offer is something so less than noble. I know that this will conflict and burden my heart for the rest of my life, that there is no easy or one time answer. I will always be neither here nor there, never quite belonging, not always understood or appreciated; but knowing that though I may not be regarded as necessary to the fashion industry, the industry needs me. It very much needs people like me, and this is what keeps me going in my bleakest of nights.

Thoughts, words of wisdom, answer to my question up above?
I would very much like to hear from or about specifically other INFJs who have chosen a difficult industry to be apart of. Though I look forward to anyone’s comments, and I may be narrowing down a number of responses, I’m more interested in those who have chosen a path that goes against the essence of who they are as an INFJ, rather than a crappy part time job that you’re just stuck in at the time.
Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey there,

Oh, I've been there. I got into my last year in college studying Advertising before I realized that it truly was the ending of this civilized world, and no- it is not as cool as it looks on TV with all of the MadMen fans out there, life as an advertiser is empty, meaningless and void of any real creativity. People truly are merely objects, dollar signs or "impressions" to them, something that can be molded to create new wants, anxieties and insecurities that humankind now must deal with. Ask you great grandma if her mom wore make up. Even in the 1920's, only about 20% of women had ever worn make up in their lives. I can't count the amount of half-used eye shadow I have tossed over the years.

So I know where you're coming from. I denounced my passion for advertising and vowed to never get paid to do it. But I don't think it is a good idea to turn away from something you are passionate for. You sound like you know what you need to make you feel happy, and that is a big first step you've already paved for yourself. Now use your creativity to see how you can pave the way to your dreams and maybe even help some people along the way. You never know.

I definitely believe there are ways to achieve your dreams and keep your values as an INFJ- you might just need to look at your situation from a different (INFJ) way sometimes.

Like there are definitely changes being made in the fashion industry as far as more eco-friendly and creative cooperatives are being supported. You can come up with your own set of morals or rules that you follow, and make that you're "thing", sooner or later people will recognize you and want to support the person trying to do better in this world through their passion. You may be able to merge your values into your dream, like the way American Apparel (supposedly) did when they were the first t-shirt company to banish sweatshop labor and have their factory in the US.

But these are all just random ideas to get you going, all I can say is, don't give up on what you want to do! If you truly know that is what makes you happy, by golly- do it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
well, i am a graphic designer and sometimes i have these dark thoughts about how shallow design could be with the superficial details and i should do something that influence people more and have more value, on the other hand being a designer is quite helping me to train my senses to see beauty and to notice the beautiful details in the world like color and shape..etc and i think that we do influence the world by making it a more beautiful place to live in :)
and me being an infj is quite affecting my work like for example i enjoy doing work 2 charities and authentic small businesses more than those companies that seems like having no values or any intention to help the community through their services just a blunt money generators, not so professional i know :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Understood completely - photographer here who does a bit of everything but the past 2 years have done a lot of editorial/fashion shoots which involves a lot of models. Dont be disheartened, it's just a matter of not letting all the superficial bulls*** drain you emotionally. I started working for a well known Melbourne company but quit when I simply wasn't going to work with people who were concerned ONLY with superficiality. Now I run my own business and have my own clientele who are like minded with working with good people who are not only going to get the best shot but are genuine and great to work with as well. I have been known to kick anyone who is cruel or impolite off shoots before.

Stick to your morals and ethics and while it is a lot about looks you have the power to decide who influences you and who you influence. Trust me it rubs off if done right :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts