Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought that most people have a hard time understanding people who talk fast.

Yesterday, however, I had a fast talker ask me a question, and I could only make out about one word in his sentence. He had to repeat himself five times before I could understand his words! :confused: Everyone else around me, however, seemed to understand him after his first repeat.

Does anyone else ever have this problem? I have any easier time understanding people with heavy accents, because at least they usually talk slowly, than I do native English-speaking fast talkers.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yeah, sometimes it's kind of hard to understand people really fast. It's like a jumbled mess, although, I do talk fast whenever I publicly speak but that's different from what you're talking about.

Reactions: Brie and letsride

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't think I do normally, but like Outcode said it happens to me when I speak publicly. For example, on Tuesday I had a presentation in one of my classes and I'm pretty sure I started talking so fast that everything I said sounded like a run-on sentence. It doesn't always happen in presentations, but mostly when I'm not confident with what I'm talking about or don't really know what I'm talking about.

I definitely have trouble understanding people who speak fast. Sometimes I ask them to repeat a couple times, still don't know what they've said, so I just pretend to know and nod in agreement.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I definitely have trouble understanding people who speak fast. Sometimes I ask them to repeat a couple times, still don't know what they've said, so I just pretend to know and nod in agreement.
lol i do this! nodding and agreeing tends to work very well lol :crazy:

but i usually have a harder time understanding people who talk really quietly... and then i feel bad bc they have to keep repeating themselves. The worst part is that even if you tell them that you cant hear them they still usually wont speak up any :confused:

Reactions: letsride

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol i do this! nodding and agreeing tends to work very well lol :crazy:

but i usually have a harder time understanding people who talk really quietly... and then i feel bad bc they have to keep repeating themselves. The worst part is that even if you tell them that you cant hear them they still usually wont speak up any :confused:
Yes! This is what I usually do too, except this guy wanted me to answer his question:crazy:

I feel so incompetent when everyone else around me can understand what he is saying, but I can't.:laughing:

That's why I was wondering if this was a trend amoung ISFPs? At least I know I'm not the only one. Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Me too. That and I'm afraid I'll forget what I had to say so I try to get it all out as fast as possible, often interrupting people which I'm sure is annoying lol

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hmm...I just move kinda slow. I talk slow, I listen slow, and yes, I do have a hard time understanding people who talk fast. I've just found that really don't have a good reason to hurry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've always had trouble understanding people who talker faster than normal without enunciating every word individually. Glad I'm not the only one lol

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I speak really fast.
People complain about this at times. :bored:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never heard of a slow listener.. haha :laughing:

The only times I talk fast is when I'm REALLY excited about something and I have so much to say and I don't want to miss anything.

Smiling and nodding works MOST of the time.. until they ask you an open ended question.. :shocked:

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
When I got my ISTP friend nearby I can turn into a yapper.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ironically, I move quickly, but hate talking at a fast pace. I only do that when I'm impatient, stressed, or hyperactive. I get aggravated when people talk really fast, and think it's unfair when people who have soft voices like myself are always told to speak up, while people who talk fast are applauded for it and called people persons.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
402 Posts
I actually have this problem often. It's frustrating because people get annoyed at me for asking them to repeat themselves, sometimes several times. Eventually, like others said, I just have to pretend and nod and say something like "Yeah." Sometimes it works and sometimes they give me a funny look. :tongue:

It's like my mind gets into a jumbled mess trying to guess what they're saying. I don't know how to describe it.

I honestly believe that some people just need to enunciate, though.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,259 Posts
Sometimes I feel like my mind just won't stick to paying attention even when I want it to. I'm always having to ask people to repeat themselves multiple times either because they were too fast for me to process, too quiet/mumbled for me to distinguish, or because my mind is too preoccupied to really take it in. It's kind of like you can let your eyes roll over a page of text but not actually register any of the words you just read - same thing with listening to people. Sometimes it feels like it just takes too much concentration to dicipher what all those sounds tumbling out of their mouths are supposed to mean. My best friend as a kid was a very fast talker and I remember it being hard to keep up. Then she moved to a different part of the country and adopted the accent - which resulted in me understanding almost nothing when she called me. Which is possibly why our friendship died out. oh well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I actually have this problem often. It's frustrating because people get annoyed at me for asking them to repeat themselves, sometimes several times. Eventually, like others said, I just have to pretend and nod and say something like "Yeah." Sometimes it works and sometimes they give me a funny look. :tongue:
I do this as well, sometimes I'll only pick up a few words the person says so I'll half guess what they said/asked. I don't usually guess it right but people just give me a funny look then carry on. :tongue:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts