Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Hosted by Hayden Planetarium Director Neil deGrasse Tyson, this year's debate pitted some of the experimentalists who claimed to have discovered faster-than-light neutrinos against their strongest critics, as well as other teams who are racing to test Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity with unprecedented precision."

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks for the video! Interesting discussion, even if the host spends a lot of time diverting discussion away from the science to keep it "upbeat" and relatable for the audience.

I wish they had talked briefly about the machinery they use to make these measurements and the assumptions they rely on (explaining why such a huge error was made in the first place). Science experiments today never directly measure what they want to measure. They are always measuring something indirectly related that only correlates with what they want to measure if A, B and C hold and I think it's very relevant to address such things explicitly. It also would have been nice to see a little more discussion about the previous measurements that yielded roughly the speed of light and why those were more rigorous.

I agree that scientists should go public with uncertain discoveries to foster scientific inquiry and curiosity in the public. People should be able to rationally think about scientific news in the media ("huh? can something really move faster than light?") instead of just accepting it as blind fact. I know far too many non-science people who will just read "X causes cancer" in the newspaper, ignore the rest, fail to think critically about it and just accept it as fact. Scientific discourse in the media should encourage more critical thinking.

That said, the media also needs to stop misrepresenting what the scientists say. For god's sakes, at least hire a "translator": someone reasonably familiar with science but not an expert in the field who can accurately translate the expert's information into laymen's terms for the journalist to then weave into a compelling (but accurate!) article.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts