Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people call it "fate" some call it "destiny". When I was younger, I never really believed in it. I wanted / needed to think that I was in control. The older I get, the more I think there is something to this...

I just read a really old post, from 7 years ago:

Do you believe in destiny?
Not the destiny you're refering to, since experiencing time as a line that goes from point A to point B is only a human aspect. Time isn't linear, it's just another dimension. And we're heading towards a "future" that was always there. We can't see it coming and that's why we might call it destiny. But we do have what you call "free will", only the choice we make was always the choice we were gonna make. Get it? For different choices or consequences then we've got alternative universes!
I like to think of time as a 4th dimension, but one that is indeed linear. I see it as an infinite line extending in two directions (past and future). Like, Kadois, I tend to believe that we're heading towards a "future" that was always there.

My rationale for this is two-fold:
  1. If we were to believe that we control the future, then we would always be at the end of the "time" line with the line only extending in one direction (the past). Time would not be infinite then. Time would actually be "being made" as time went on. This doesn't work for me.
  2. If we look at time as "existing" only for our own lives, then time "started" when we were born and (depending on how you view it) ends now or the day you die. I think you'd agree that we can't limit our view of time to only ourselves.
So given that time is infinite, and we should not look at time thru our own narrow minded view (our lifetime) then time MUST have existed before we were born and time MUST exist in the "future".

The only other way I can wrap my head around this is to assume that "future time" can indeed already exist (infinitely) in the 4th dimension, but the 1st, 2nd and 3rd dimensions have not been created, written, formed, or expanded, into the "future time" void. If I think of it this way, time sounds a lot like a black hole.

Scientists used to think black holes were just voids in space. Now we know that black holes have mass and have such strong gravitational forces that nothing, not even particles and electromagnetic radiation (such as light) can escape from them. Sounds a lot like time.

Couldn't we say that time: "has such strong gravitational effects that nothing, not even particles and light can escape from it"? The future is sucking us in.

I would love to hear some thoughts on this subject from other INTJs...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Time is simply a human-made measurement of change. Change is constant.

Free will is simply to make a choice; to increase the odds of the change you wish to see.
It's not made. It's happening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts