Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was your favorite age/grade during school?? For me, elementary was just okay.... I LOVED my teachers during middle school/junior high and have many good memories because it was really just an inspirational time in my life. I hated high school because there was so much drama and I never really "belonged" to a group... and the teachers were not as supportive.

Then college... I absolutely loved in regard to academics. When I got to college I felt like I finally met the curriculum that I was always supposed to have. Earlier years was just too concrete for me.

Anybody else??

·
Registered
81 Posts
2nd/3rd grade was the best. There were no worries. Im in high school right now and it sucks! Stupid teachers, dumb wannabe students, and boring curriculum. Sometimes i just want to run out the classroom and scream. I always look back to the fun days when i was about 7 and 8 and into all the kid stuff and could let my imagination run wild. I still would do that but society wouldnt except it lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What was your favorite age/grade during school?? For me, elementary was just okay.... I LOVED my teachers during middle school/junior high and have many good memories because it was really just an inspirational time in my life. I hated high school because there was so much drama and I never really "belonged" to a group... and the teachers were not as supportive.

Then college... I absolutely loved in regard to academics. When I got to college I felt like I finally met the curriculum that I was always supposed to have. Earlier years was just too concrete for me.

Anybody else??

Based on my (furthest) experience having graduated high school and completed a few quarters of community college:

8th grade. Somewhere in the middle of the swamp that is public junior high school; it wasn't all bad though, I ended up joining Concert Band on tuba, all alone (come to think of it...my decision in playing such a strange and inconvenient instrument may translate to my desire to be different and somewhat distanced from the crowd. aka the upper-woodwinds and brass :wink:). Also having met two incredible people, one girl in particular who I still manage to hang out with every day, in that class certainly enhanced the inevitably dreadful years. Music continues to hold a special priority in my daily routines...jamming on piano waiting for ramen water to boil seems to make time go by faster :]

thegirlcandance, did you find any sort of activity or niche in school? Or were academics your main area of interest?

·
Registered
571 Posts
My favorite years were the years of elementary school, because when the teachers cared about me personally and my success, I completely flourished academically, soaking up everything my class had to offer.

Once I hit middle school/junior high and encountered my fair share of dud teachers, I completely shut down and only did the minimum amount of work required to get an A in the class. No excitement, no thirst for knowledge... Nothing.

For me, the subject was not the issue; I like all subjects. What truly mattered was the teacher of the subject, and that seemed to be the deciding factor of whether or not I enjoyed the class.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
8th grade. cause of drama and cool friends

when i was 16 cause of theatre production, summer after I met two of my best freinds.

thats it.
maybe 18 as well, cause of friends senior year in highschool.

I never got super ultra involved in college so... lets just say all those years sucked.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on my (furthest) experience having graduated high school and completed a few quarters of community college:

8th grade. Somewhere in the middle of the swamp that is public junior high school; it wasn't all bad though, I ended up joining Concert Band on tuba, all alone (come to think of it...my decision in playing such a strange and inconvenient instrument may translate to my desire to be different and somewhat distanced from the crowd. aka the upper-woodwinds and brass :wink:). Also having met two incredible people, one girl in particular who I still manage to hang out with every day, in that class certainly enhanced the inevitably dreadful years. Music continues to hold a special priority in my daily routines...jamming on piano waiting for ramen water to boil seems to make time go by faster :]

thegirlcandance, did you find any sort of activity or niche in school? Or were academics your main area of interest?
Yeah I was normally the kid that found some activity that I really enjoyed and got majorly involved in that. Actually, I've been involved in probably just about everything at some point during school. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
For me, it's probably divided between late elementary school and some times during high school. In 4th/5th grade or so, I had some really great friends and was constantly busy with hanging out with them and playing sports. I don't remember ever being really unhappy during that period.

Middle school sucked, let's just leave it at that. :tongue:

I really enjoyed high school starting with sophomore year when I joined my school's marching band (I played baritone, for any other band nerds around here). Had great fun at football games, competitions, and we even marched in Disneyworld. Schoolwork was easy too, but I can't think of a time where it hasn't been for me.

Reactions: thegirlcandance

·
Registered
712 Posts
Primary school (elementary) was the absolute best time of my life - I loved learning, I loved my teachers, I had great classmates, I was confident, outgoing, curious and full of energy (even though I spent a good deal of time with my head in books - academic and fiction).

Secondary school was also pretty awesome - I went to a grammar school where the teachers were generally of a very high standard and the kids were all above a certain intelligence so it was never looked down on to have a natural curiosity for learning. Teachers treated you as young adults rather than kids, and learning was fairly collaborative. There were a fair amount of characters and oddballs, most of whom were accepted by everyone - there was an emphasis on being interesting and unique and independent rather than cliquey. There was a lot of balance between personality types - I think NFs an SJs were dominant, followed by NTs then SPs. But like Goaty, I lost the urge to really excel academicallyhere, and started doing the minimum work I need to in order to get good grades. I spent more time lost inside my own head or out there experiencing the "real world", becoming a anti-authority, a bit of an anarchist, trying to "save" lost souls. It was a very interesting period of my life, but school was very much in the background at that point.

I left my school to go to a different Sixth Form so that I could study psychology, sociology and law. While the subjects interested me more, the school was a lot worse. The friends I managed to make were of a very different breed to the friends I had made at my previous school - there were a lot of SJs and SPs and not a lot else. I didn't really fit, but I didn't really care. The teachers weren't quite sure how to deal with me. I was intelligent enough to just be left to my own devices - they didn't really challenge me, just were thankful that they didn't need to put a lot of effort into me. They liked me because I was different, but didn't pay me a whole lot of attention.

Then came university - which was a huge waste of time, academically and socially but it did prepare me for independent living.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I hated most of school. Wasn't ready for people yet.
Later on though, A&P school was fun, liked the people and the subject. EMT-B classes were cool, loved the subject but didn't enjoy some of the people. Didn't finish college though, just didn't feel like I belonged there, and working while doing full time credits is harder than I thought it would be. Good old U of M Tigers. :)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
From a learning perspective, I got the most fulfillment from 4-6 grade where I learned everything I know about English (grammar, the different parts of speech, et al) For pure immaturity and enjoyment? 8th grade without a doubt. I hung out with a bunch of INTJ's and laughed our way through the year.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Probably college for me.. First year I was still in my hometown, and still going through remnants of my crazy self from high school. I made a lot of interesting work for my assignments. I changed pretty quickly in those years, moving to a new city alone in the second year. I didn't enjoy all my classes, but the ones I did were more than great. In this part of my experience, compared to my previous year, I was finally growing up (without my knowing it till the end) and it was an interesting journey... Really stressful but I got a big reward, like an epiphany. This is what made it different to HS and elementary... I guess I felt those were a waste of time, as I didn't really get to choose what I wanted to do. I couldn't explore. It was all just fed to me. I'd make interesting things, but they had no significance for me.
What I write here has nothing to do with the teachers or classmates or other people in the school. It's just about the curriculum, which gave me enough freedom to do what I want. I had access to so many resources. Everything else in those years was nasty and disgusting, more so than anything I'd experienced prior. What happened in college is what drives my life today.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
When I was in high school from about 16-19, so I guess you could say my senior years.

Oh, the shenanigans I used to get away with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts