Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of posts about quotes, but I usually don't see too many from books. I would like to see some from books:) I love reading. One book that I relate to very deeply (well, I relate to the author deeply, too, and he supposedly was a 4) is The Brothers Karamazov. It's deeply spiritual and philosophical and emotional.

Here are a few quotes I like from it:

“I’m a Karamazov… when I fall into the abyss, I go straight into it, head down and heels up, and I’m even pleased that I’m falling in such a humiliating position, and for me I find it beautiful. And so in that very shame I suddenly begin a hymn. Let me be cursed, let me be base and vile, but let me also kiss the hem of that garment in which my God is clothed; let me be following the devil at the same time, but still I am also your son, Lord, and I love you, and I feel a joy without which the world cannot stand and be.”
- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

“In most cases, people, even the most vicious, are much more naive and simple-minded than we assume them to be. And this is true of ourselves too.”

“There are souls that in their narrowness blame the whole world. But overwhelm such a soul with mercy, give it love, and it will curse what it has done, for there are so many germs of good in it. The soul will expand and behold how merciful God is, and how beautiful and just people are. He will be horrified, he will be overwhelmed with repentance and the countless debt he must henceforth repay.”

2,781 Posts
Some quotes from one of my favorite authors...

“There is such a place as fairyland - but only children can find the way to it. And they do not know that it is fairyland until they have grown so old that they forget the way. One bitter day, when they seek it and cannot find it, they realize what they have lost; and that is the tragedy of life. On that day the gates of Eden are shut behind them and the age of gold is over. Henceforth they must dwell in the common light of common day. Only a few, who remain children at heart, can ever find that fair, lost path again; and blessed are they above mortals. They, and only they, can bring us tidings from that dear country where we once sojourned and from which we must evermore be exiles. The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and story-tellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland.”
― L.M. Montgomery, The Story Girl

“If you can sit in silence with a person for half an hour and yet be entirely comfortable, you and that person can be friends. If you cannot, friends you'll never be and you need not waste time in trying.”
― L.M. Montgomery, The Blue Castle

“When I think something nice is going to happen I seem to fly right up on the wings of anticipation; and then the first thing I realize I drop down to earth with a thud. But really, Marilla, the flying part is glorious as long as it lasts...it's like soaring through a sunset. I think it almost pays for the thud.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea

“There's no use trying to live in other people's opinions. The only thing to do is live in your own.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Emily Climbs

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
There are a lot of posts about quotes, but I usually don't see too many from books. I would like to see some from books:) I love reading. One book that I relate to very deeply (well, I relate to the author deeply, too, and he supposedly was a 4) is The Brothers Karamazov. It's deeply spiritual and philosophical and emotional.

Here are a few quotes I like from it:

“I’m a Karamazov… when I fall into the abyss, I go straight into it, head down and heels up, and I’m even pleased that I’m falling in such a humiliating position, and for me I find it beautiful. And so in that very shame I suddenly begin a hymn. Let me be cursed, let me be base and vile, but let me also kiss the hem of that garment in which my God is clothed; let me be following the devil at the same time, but still I am also your son, Lord, and I love you, and I feel a joy without which the world cannot stand and be.”

“In most cases, people, even the most vicious, are much more naive and simple-minded than we assume them to be. And this is true of ourselves too.”

“There are souls that in their narrowness blame the whole world. But overwhelm such a soul with mercy, give it love, and it will curse what it has done, for there are so many germs of good in it. The soul will expand and behold how merciful God is, and how beautiful and just people are. He will be horrified, he will be overwhelmed with repentance and the countless debt he must henceforth repay.”
I'm reading it at the moment, started the 4th book today. I love it. So far I can totally relate to Alyosha Karamazov. From my observations I believe Dostoyevski is most likely a type 5 or perhaps a 9, but I could be wrong. On several Socionics tests I test as INFj, the type that is presented by him, to give it a face. Thought you might find it interesting:
Socionics - the16types.info - Dostoyevsky, Male portrait, INFj by Beskova

Here's some quotes:

—The soul is born, he said vaguely, first in those moments I told you of. It has a slow and dark birth, more mysterious than the birth of the body. When the soul of a man is born in this country there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets.
Stephen Daedalus from A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Søren Kierkegaard

"The universe is no narrow thing and the order within it is not constrained by any latitude in its conception to repeat what exists in one part in any other part. Even in this world more things exist without our knowledge than with it and the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way. For existence has its own order and that no man's mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others.”
The Judge from Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.”
From Walden by Henry David Thoreau

The movie Dead Poets Society has a lot of awesome book quotations too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"I wondered why I couldn't go the whole way doing what I should any more. This made me sad and tired. Then I wondered why I couldn't go the whole way doing what I shouldn't, and this made me even sadder and more tired." The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath

"Basically, what we have here is a dreamer. Somebody out of touch with reality. When she jumped, she probably thought she'd fly." The Virgin Suicides, Jeffrey Eugenides

There are many more quotes in those books I like, but these I had written in my notebook on my desk. I like novels with sad characters...and I like all the Jane Austen.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"I wondered why I couldn't go the whole way doing what I should any more. This made me sad and tired. Then I wondered why I couldn't go the whole way doing what I shouldn't, and this made me even sadder and more tired." The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath

"Basically, what we have here is a dreamer. Somebody out of touch with reality. When she jumped, she probably thought she'd fly." The Virgin Suicides, Jeffrey Eugenides

There are many more quotes in those books I like, but these I had written in my notebook on my desk. I like novels with sad characters...and I like all the Jane Austen.
I love both of those books!:)

·
Banned
596 Posts
Memory is like a dog that lies down where it pleases - Cees Noteboom (book: Rituelen -> Dutch, probably named Rituals in English)

Reactions: unico
2,781 Posts
“He wanted all to lie in an ecstasy of peace; I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. I said his heaven would be only half alive; and he said mine would be drunk: I said I should fall asleep in his; and he said he could not breathe in mine.”
Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights

1 - 11 of 11 Posts