Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INTPs, what books have you read and what do you have to recommend for the rest of us.
Share with us your reading list.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I loved Factoring Humanity. It's a science fiction book that is very philosophical i it's way, as it deals with what humanity is. [it also mentions jung, lol] I'd also recommend Shakespears Planet and Steal Across the Sky, as they both deal with what aliens might be like, but its more realistic because instead of them going to us, we go to them. [I really like Shakespear's Plant, it's a lovely book]

I don't know if you like romances, but if it's mixed with sci-fi, I find it to be good. I liked The Host, though it really just grazed the surface of a topic much bigger than the giant book, but it was entertaining and pleasurable.

Hmm...I really liked Farenheight 451, but you might have had to read that in school, but even if you did, I suggest you read it again.

I never finished Ender's Game, and I mainly think it was because when I was reading it, I was really busy and wasn't up for reading much, but people seem to like it, so I would give it a try. I'm planning on finally finishing it, and though it's a little slow from what I've read, the characters are extemely well devolpoed.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Hm, let's see... I've read:

Wheel of Time (entire series so far)
A Song of Ice and Fire (entire series so far)
Enderverse (2 books from the Ender series, and... 2 from the Bean series.)
Dune (just the first book)
Prince of Nothing (Just the first book so far)
Lord of the Flies
American Psycho
His Dark Materials (entire series)
Brave New World
A Clockwork Orange
Catch-22

I might have missed a few, but that makes up the majority of them...

Must-reads for INTPS:

1984... This book changed the way I think... And by association, my entire life.
Catch-22... It's just hilarious. Also, the last Snowden scene was gut-wrenching.
A Song of Ice and Fire series... In-depth, brutal fantasy. No "chosen one" bullshit... It is essentially devoid of those cliches you see in fantasy all the time.
Dune... One of the most... "intelligent" sci-fi books I've read. It's amazing how expansive and detailed Herbert makes this world.

·
Registered
344 Posts
One of my all-time favourites is The Joke by Milan Kundera. Not as profound as The Unbearable Lightness of Being, but probably a better novel.

Reactions: BeeInTheBonnet

·
Registered
988 Posts
All of Count Leo Tolstoy's books are wonderful, but War and Peace is describes life very, very well. I would also recommend the Death of Ivan Ilyich.

If you're looking for more modern books, Alice Sebold is a good author with which to start.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I actually dislike scifi books as so many of them are too clever for their own good - I doubt the authors know what they are on about. I like crime fiction, but I also like historical non fiction, especially if it covers Ancient Egypt, or early Norman life. Crime fiction that covers my favourite historical periods have me stuck in my room for hours.

Since getting a Kindle, I've started reading freebee classics such as Uncle Tom's Cabin.

167 Posts
Essays and Aphorisms by Arthur Schopenhauer

To have or to be by Erich Fromm

The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm

Life without principle by Henry David Thoreau. My favourite essay of his

The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa (I love his poems too)

I recently bought Psychological Types by Jung

·
Registered
115 Posts
A very short list of the books I've read and liked:

The hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy
Don Quixote (In my humble opinion, it's the best novel of all times)
One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich
The hobbit
Lord of the rings

·
Registered
826 Posts
post office - bukowski
heart of darkness - conrad
breakfast at tiffanys - capote
journey to the end of the night - celine
on the road - kerouac
anything by hp lovecraft
oh, "inteview with the vampire" by anne rice is awsome, surprisingly

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Many people have read 1984, and it's great, but Geroge Orwell also wrote a book called Animal Farm which was just AMAZING, I suggest you guys check that out, it's only around 100 pages or so, maybe 120?

Since we're talking about books, I might as well ask you guys if you know who wrote a book called Blue? It's about a kid turning into a swordfish.... I read it a long time ago and I have done google searches and searched libraries and I can't seem to find it! I also think it was written by a woman... can't be sure though

edit: great idea for a post btw

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok, where to begin, where to begin... ;)

1) "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera (I read it when I was a teenager and it had a huge influence on me - I read it several times; Kundera writes also pretty good essays)

2) "Mrs. Dalloway" by Virginia Woolf (this women was a genius for writing it)

3) "The Magus" by John Fowles (this one is a mindfucker)

4) "Solaris" by Stanislaw Lem

5) "The Trial" and "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka

6) "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood

7) "The Magic Toyshop" by Angela Carter (I like this one very much, but I don't know whether especially male INTPs would buy it ;) Carter writes quirky, kinky, over-the-top gothic fiction; she did also Freudian rewritings of children fairytales, which pretty much tells you what to expect ;))

8) "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith

9) "Under the Skin" by Michel Faber

10) "The Painted Bird" by Jerzy Kosinski (this one is very good, but really shocking and very brutal; it's a bit like "Requiem for a Dream" - you cannot look away, but you feel violated afterwards)

11) "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman (to recover after "The Painted Bird")

12) "The Truth" by Terry Pratchet (not only is it a Pratchet book, it also has a plot!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
first off, im really not one for any time of fiction. i more typically like non-fiction books. the only exception seems to be when ive got a strong interest in the style or subject. i like zombies and dystopian stories. side note: i love the fallout video games.

1)World War Z - Max Brooks
2) The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks (nice book but not really a hit-down-n-read sorta thing)
3) The 48 Laws of Power - Robert Greene (currently reading this one. its an enormous book by my standards. very intimidating book because of its content)
4) Freakonomics - Levitt and Dubner (currently reading as well. just very interesting statistics and how certain things work)
5) The Next 100 Years - Friedman (currently reading. its like a history lesson and relating past events to what could be coming in the next 100 years)
6) 1984 - Orwell (i feel everyone should read this book and discuss it)

I'm sure there are more but sadly my books are in storage right now. But those books I honestly enjoyed.

hope this has helped.

Reactions: malphigus

·
Registered
344 Posts
I need to stop buying books; I just picked up The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays and Resistance, Rebellion, and Death by Camus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every book that Douglas Adams ever wrote. He's my idol.
I'd also recommend The Hyperion Cantos, which is a sci-fi quartet by Dan Simmons. The variety of sources he draws on for the content fascinated me.
Another of my favorite authors is Victor Hugo, though a lot of people would probably have some difficulty pushing past all of the 'extraneous' information in his books.
The list really goes on and on. I spend most of my time (particularly at school >.>) reading.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I need to stop buying books; I just picked up The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays and Resistance, Rebellion, and Death by Camus.
Myth of Sisyphus is just so dense and a milestone of the "philosophical thought" of the last century for french people. It's a good choice. :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sci-Fi & Fantasy (by authors):

(Epic)
J.R.R. Tolkien
Robert Jordan
Steven Erikson

(Series)
C.J. Cherryh
L.E. Modesitt
Kate Elliot
Katherine Kerr
J.V. Jones
Tad Williams
Raymond Feist
Janny Wurts
Mercedes Lackey (gets a little formulaic after a few trilogies, but still enjoyable)

(Comedy)
Terry Pratchett
Douglas Adams
Spider Robertson

(Other)
Iain M. Banks
Robert A. Heinlein

Non-Fiction:

(Reference)
"Ideas" by Peter Watson
"A World of Ideas" by Chris Rohmann

(On Civilization)
"Guns, Germs, & Steel" & "Collapse" by Jared Diamond
"The Limits to Growth" by Meadows, et al
"The Collapse of Complex Societies" by Joseph Tainter
"The Upside of Down" by Thomas Homer-Dixon
"The Geography of Nowhere" by James Howard Kunstler
"A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright (Also see others in the CBC Massey Lecture Series; most are very good & not all fall under this categorization.)

(Economics & Game Theory)
"Happiness" by Richard Layard
"The Origin of Financial Crises" by George Cooper
"The Origin of Capitalism" by Ellen Meiksins Wood
"Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" by John Perkins
"Small is Beautiful" by E. F. Schumacher
"The Complexity of Cooperation" by Robert Axelrod
"The Misbehavior of Markets" by Benoit Mandelbrot & Richard L. Hudson
"The Winner Take All Society" by Robert H. Frank & Philip J. Cook
"Shop Class as Soul Craft" by Matthew B. Crawford (More of an extended essay on the nature of work in modern society, but without question an excellent read.)

(Elinor Ostrom also belongs on this list, although so far I've only read summaries of her work. She recently won the Nobel Prize in Economics for research on informal, cooperation-based solutions to the problem of the tragedy of the commons that don't rely on either privatization of property or management by governments.)

(Biology, Ecology, & Evolution)
"The Making of the Fittest" & "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" by Sean B. Carroll
"The Web of Life" by Fritjof Capra

(Nonlinear Dynamics for Dummies)
"Chaos" by James Gleick
"Complexity" by M. Mitchell Waldrop
"Emergence" by Steven Johnson

(Cognition)
"Language In Action" by William Turnbull
"Philosophical Investigations" by Ludwig Wittgenstein (Well, since it's virtually incomprehensible, mostly just read the SparkNotes.)
"Intelligence With Representation" by Luc Steels (This is actually a paper, not a book, but definitely worth reading since he solves the grounding problem of symbol systems. There are a few caveats, but I will only go into those if someone asks for them; this post is too long already.)
"The Quantum Brain" by Jeffrey Satinover
"Predictably Irrational" by Dan Ariely
"Kluge" by Gary Marcus
"The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge
"Descartes' Error" by Antonio Damasio
"The Social Atom" by Mark Buchanan

(Religion)
"The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot" by Bart D. Ehrman

Okay, I think I'll stop there, since that should keep most people going for a few years! ;)

(There are others that I'm tempted to recommend because they look like they'll be really good, but I have restricted myself only to books/authors I've actually read, with just that one exception.)

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Here are a few that I liked a lot:

Prometheus Rising - Robert Anton Wilson
We the Living - Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Rendezvous With Rama - Arthur C. Clarke
Choke - Palahniuk
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Pirsig
Society of the Spectacle - Debord
The Illuminatus Trilogy - R.A.W