• Palmer

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 6 27.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
18,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
personally, I'm partial to Naranjo. he hits to the core and doesn't pull his punches. before coming across his work, I sorted through so much nebulous, white washed shit trying to figure out my core, but Naranjo made it obvious.
apart from practical value, I love the defensive reactions his work gets out of people when he brings up an inconvenient part of their personality. no other Enneagram theorist is as controversial :cool:

· Banned
18,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Naranjo then Riso and Hudson then Fauvres (more for accessibility and videos) then, way down the list, the New Agey duo of Maitri and Palmer. I honestly didn't get any new insights from reading Palmer's book, and Maitri seemed equally flakey (read a couple chapters). I can't say the same for Naranjo. To the OP, I was surprised Naranjo correlated INTJ and enneagram seven. :tongue: I would say Naranjo is the "deepest" whereas Riso and Hudson's Wisdom of the Enneagram organized the material best. Palmer, by contrast, just lazily slapped together anecdotes of each type. Also, tangent coming, I felt Riso and Hudson brought up unique points about red flag fears, leaden rules and how certain types respond to rules (e.g., how threes want to know the rules...maybe so they could take shortcuts or game the system :wink:). The subtypes were also well explained by Riso and Hudson. Palmer basically just said a word or two about the instinctual variants of each type...
occasionally he misses the mark big time, for example
- correlating type 7 with INTJ (@Boss is the only person I can think of who is a likely INTJ 7)
- correlating type 5 with ISTJ (there are a fair number of ISTJ 5w6s, but it's far more common in INTs)
- typing Napoleon Bonapart as a 2 (though, to be fair, he also brings up a whole other side of 2 that most of the descriptions completely miss. most 2s are far more covertly controlling and domineering than pseudo-9-ish demeanor most descriptions would have you believe they possess. unhealthy twos combine the explosivity of 8, the self righteousness of 1, the emotional train wreckage of 4 and, sometimes, the attention whoring antics of 7.).
- saying Social 8s are the only intellectual 8s (they're not going to sit discussing Plato's republic with you for 2 hours, but many Self Preservation 8, particularly 8w7, become well learned, strategic and cunning in their pursuit of power and material gain. your typical mastermind villain, if not a 6w5, is probably an Sp dom 8w7)

like all theorists, he's not without his flaws, but his work is by far the most useful imo.

· Banned
18,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Why are these wrong?
- most INTJs are more calculating, less optimistic and less hedonistic than a type 7. the majority of 7s are probably ExxP
- most 5s are Ns

PS: sorry, totally forgot about you. make that two INTJ 7s :laughing:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.