The Mad hatter
The Joker
The Mentalist

·
Banned
227 Posts
1. Faust
2. V
3. Benjamin Barker, aka Sweeney Todd (for the same reason why people like the joker)

I wish I could think of more

·
Registered
352 Posts
Faust & Mephistopheles - Goethe's Faust
The Anguished One* - Devil Survivor 2
Araya Zouren - Kara no Kyoukai
Gilgamesh & Berserker - Fate/Zero

*: Former avatar

303 Posts
Agent LJ Gibbs (NCIS) - played by Mark Harmon
Agent Ziva David (NCIS) - played by Cote de Pablo
Jason Bourne (Bourne Trilogy) - played by Matt Damon
Cameron Phillips (TSCC) - played by Summer Glau
River Tam (Firefly/Serenity) - played by Summer Glau
Simon Tam (Firefly/Serenity) - played by Sean Maher)
Patrick Jane (The Mentalist) - played by Simon Baker
Kimball Cho (The Mentalist) - played by Tim Kang
Derek Reese (TSCC) - played by Brian Austin Green
John Reese (Person of Interest) - played by Jim Caviezel
i'd better stop there.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
So many...I'll stick to a few:

Raistlin Majere (Dragonlance)
Percy Blakeney (The Scarlet Pimpernel)....sink me!
Anne Shirley of Green Gables
Rogue (X-men)...as portrayed in the comics not the film
Sydney Carton (A Tale of Two Cities)
Valentine Michael Smith (Stranger in a Strange Land)
Sabina (The Unbearable Lightness of Being)
Tyrion Lannister (Game of Thrones)...only seen the television series so far
V (V for Vendetta)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yossarian - Catch-22 book
Patrick Jane - The Mentalist tv show
Gibbs - NCIS tv show
Edmond Dantes - The Count of Monte Cristo book
Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones books and tv show
Hobbes - Calvin and Hobbes books
Maverick - Top Gun movie
and more I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yuri Zhivago Dr. Zhivago
One of my all time favourites

@HorribleAesthete - Raistlin Majere :) I can not begin to express how much i loved that character 17-18 years ago :) You have made me smile.

Sherlock Holmes (Not very INFJ but who doesn't like a drug addicted, bipolar, amoral, possibly autistic homosexual?... and if you disagree i suggest you read the books again - the epitome of bohemianism.
Arthur Dent (A man dressed in his dressing gown, wanting nothing more than being left alone quietly in his cottage but ends up being dragged across the universe to eventually find solace in a small sandwich making business to only discover hes fathered the majority of the universe)
The Librarian (Once a wizard but now an Orangutan due to a magical mishap in the library of The Unseen University, these things are bound to happen when you have so many books piled up in one place, who resists any attempts at changing him back and quite honestly who can blame him)
Amelie Poulain (Simply... I want to marry her)
Elwood P. Dowd (I'm still looking for the bar that he is drinking in and when i find it i shall never leave)

Umm.. This is fun but i have to go to work.

...Oh, Fiver from Watership Down... and...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
@HorribleAesthete - Raistlin Majere :) I can not begin to express how much i loved that character 17-18 years ago :) You have made me smile.
Glad to do it...:) It has been about that long since I first read the first two trilogies (Chronicles and Legends).

...Oh, Fiver from Watership Down... and...
I also loved Watership Down. I should have included Hazel in my list. Love your avatar, btw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sherlock Holmes (Not very INFJ but who doesn't like a drug addicted, bipolar, amoral, possibly autistic homosexual?... and if you disagree i suggest you read the books again - the epitome of bohemianism.
Interesting:) I always think of Holmes as INTP and Watson as INFJ

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting:) I always think of Holmes as INTP and Watson as INFJ
I wasn't putting him forward as an INFJ... just as one of my favourite fictional characters, which is what i thought the thread was about. Considering Holmes excels at Observation i would be insane to suggest that he was and thats not even taking into account the INFJs Fe. As a side note though i don't think i would be able to class him as Ti dominant either as everything is from 'Observation' he would sit much more comfortably as Ni / Te.

Fiver would definitely be INFJ, as would Amelie Poulain and i suspect Elwood P. Dowd would be, i am choosing INFJ instead of INFP because hes more of a Fe user than Fi but if you have seen Harvey, and if you haven't complete and utter shame on you, you may see how that maybe difficult to place... Would be more than happy to talk about it though :)

In fact while i'm off topic and on this one... let me quote: (EDIT: More people should be inspired to watch this film, it is truly one of the greats)

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me"

"Think carefully, Dowd. Didn't you know somebody, sometime, someplace by the name of Harvey? Didn't you ever know anybody by that name?"
"No, no, not one, Doctor. Maybe that's why I always had such hopes for it."

and then finally this one.....

"Harvey and I sit in the bars... have a drink or two... play the juke box. And soon the faces of all the other people they turn toward mine and they smile. And they're saying, "We don't know your name, mister, but you're a very nice fella." Harvey and I warm ourselves in all these golden moments. We've entered as strangers - soon we have friends. And they come over... and they sit with us... and they drink with us... and they talk to us. They tell about the big terrible things they've done and the big wonderful things they'll do. Their hopes, and their regrets, and their loves, and their hates. All very large, because nobody ever brings anything small into a bar. And then I introduce them to Harvey... and he's bigger and grander than anything they offer me. And when they leave, they leave impressed. The same people seldom come back; but that's envy, my dear. There's a little bit of envy in the best of us. "

Chin, Chin Elwood, wherever you maybe.

PS Thinking about it i am unsure if Watson would be an INFJ, what are your reasons for suspecting that he is?

EDIT: I may have misunderstood the tone and misconstrued it as you thinking i was claiming Holmes an an INFJ rather than, as i now suspect you may have meant, that my understanding of Holmes as a character was interesting. My apologies :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My mistake... I didn't notice that you mean yourself when you said not very INFJ :) I thought you mean Holmes and that’s very interesting. I'm pretty sure Sherlock Holmes is INTP. I originally thought it's more likely he is INTJ, for he has a wide range of knowledge, and is often very organized in some ways, which is J like, but in other ways, such as the disorganized and messy condition of his home, which is rather more P. Also my two INTP friends identify with him so much, which make me surely believe that. About Watson...Well I didn't consider much (I just thought he is more INFJ-like than Holmes...) and my INTP friend joked that I am his Dr.Watson :D But now I think he might be ISFJ, for he and Holmes don't have many things in common (He is more likely too supportive, driven), unlike my INTP friends and me.

Harvey… I hardly ever think about what type Elwood Dowd would be. If you don’t mention, I would possiblely consider him as INFP(I used to subjectively assume INFP is more often having mental problem than INFJ)… But as you say, he is really a hard one to place!

I think we’re completely off the topic of this thread, which is my fault in the first place. Anyway, it’s very happy to talk about :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
@Pauline Um, I didn't mean myself when i said 'Not very INFJ' i meant Sherlock was not very INFJ, i suppose the inference was; '...when compared with some of my other favourite characters'. I, myself, am a confirmed Ni dom albeit i do seem to juggle Fe and Te, depending on the situation, all tests and analysis suggest there is a slight bias towards Fe so that is where i sit.... anyway...

As for Holmes being INTP, i still can't see it and here are the reasons why;

Ti - "External facts are not the aim and origin of this thinking..." Psychological Types by Carl Jung
Te - "Extraverted thinking is conditioned by objective data transmitted by sense perception" Personality Types by Daryl Sharp (A very good introduction to the cognitive functions)

Sherlock time and time again says that "You see, but you do not observe" A Scandal In Bohemia - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
He relies so much on external data, its his primary tool. He collects monographs, newspaper clippings and information on notable personalities all of this is built up as 'Evidence. They are also rigidly organised, every piece of information in its right place, collated and catergorised. Yes, sometimes his house keeper, Mrs Hudson, chastises him for being messy... this is usually before or after Watson chastises him for his cocaine use. I think to make a claim about someone not being a 'Judging type' because they do not caricaturise a template all of the time is 1) Detrimental to an understanding of the human condition and probably resulting from, more specifically, 2) Not paying attention to the way the Cognitive functions work.

Your INTP friends may well find that they have things in common with Holmes, that is not at all surprising... many people do sympathise with traits of characters that may well be different to them. I don't think that is enough to build a system to type people by.

Mind you i would be interested in knowing what Sherlock you are sourcing your opinion from.

EDIT: I can't help but aplogise for this post script, and i know i will regret this and i know you did say 'used to' but i can't help but feel that i should state INFPs really shouldn't be associated with being more likely to have mental health problems... they are as sane as anyone else although it does pain me to say that on visiting the INFP forum many do not help themselves in contradicting that view point but having said that read the INFJ forum and you will see many posts that illustrate how 'problems' can arise across the cognitive functions, only differing in the nature in which they manifest.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts