Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think even within 4s there would be quite some disagreement about films. I've seen some 4s recommend films here which I didn't find very congenial at all. For me the two areas of cinema that have mattered the most are world cinema and certain art films that portray the cultures of my own country, India. Here are some suggestions, mostly from the former category. If you don't mind subtitles you will perhaps like them. Or perhaps you have already seen them.

1. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky) - the film about finding your purpose in life. Like all of Tarkovsky's films, a slow, wise, mystical, symbolic film. If you watch it, I would suggest you don't spend time trying to interpret what the film is saying, and just experience it like a beautiful piece of music.

2. Solaris (also Andrei Tarkovsky) - when I first saw this at age 18 I realised this is what I had been searching for for the 3-4 years that I had become so fascinated with cinema and with art in general. Left me with a deeply tranquil feeling as if life made sense now. Similar to Stalker, but focuses more on understanding your life, coming to terms with your past and present, seeing the meaning of everything that happens to you. Tarkovsky wrote, "I make films to help people live, even if that causes pain". That certainly conveys some of the impact of his films.

3. The 400 Blows (Francois Truffaut) - a very compassionate film about adolescence, suffering, and finding your path in life. Autobiographical.

4. The Last Temptation of Christ (Martin Scorsese) - if you aren't averse to spirituality and religion this is a fantastic film. Extremely charged with energy and power. Another film about understanding who you are and living and dying for it. I was shaken up by the intensity of it.

5. Where is the Friend's Home? (Abbas Kiarostami) - an Iranian film about friendship between two small boys. In all of society, it is these two children who have a real, compassionate, soft heart and truly love each other, while the rest of society is busy in their hardened pursuits. A very gentle, quiet little film. Somewhat experimental in style.

6. Ordinary People (Robert Redford) - a very humanistic film about a teenaged boy and his parents dealing with the death of the elder son of the family. Describes the brokenness that lies within all of us and teaches us that there is hope and meaning even in that brokenness. This is a very good film in my opinion but not as good as the others on this list. But for those who don't like foreign films this might be a good watch.

I think cinema is a special form of art and it conveys something of life that other arts cannot convey. Perhaps that also explains why so many people watch films, much more than they explore other art forms, even if most films are only commercial entertainment. Since my mid-teens cinema has been extremely important to me and I could write a whole book on cinema and its meanings for us :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you don't mind anime, I definitely recommend anything by Satoshi Kon. If you don't like anything too psychological than Tokyo God Fathers was a great one by him (and possibly my favorite movie of all time). If you do like psychological then Perfect Blue or Paprika.

Tokyo God Fathers is about 3 homeless people finding a dumpster baby and go on a quest to find it's mother.

Perfect Blue is pretty old so the animation isn't perfect but it's basically about a young pop singer who decides to start an acting career. Due to the stress of her new job and the realization of her having a seriously messed up stalker, she starts going insane. As she begins to go through memory skips, not knowing what time or day it could be anymore, fantasy and reality are blurred for her and the viewer as well.

Paprika delves into the idea of the dangers of what could happen when dreams/subconscious mind and reality blur. The main focus is a dream therapist Paprika, who uses a machine to experience the dreams/nightmares of her patients to try and find out what psychologically is harming them. This machine later becomes stolen and used for terrorism against people who've become too exposed to the machine, causing them to see dreams while walking in reality.

Sorry again if anime isn't what you're looking for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Powder! Been my favorite since it came out.

Shawshank Redemption

What Dreams May Come

Rosewood

Jumper

The Happening

Anything intense with deep meaning. Not a fan of comedy or corny romance (deeper ones are good, like What Dreams May Come). Very 4 of me.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
546 Posts
For me I love Donnie Darko, Ordinary People, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, Requiem For A Dream, Mysterious Skin & Brick.

I love something that has strong and has a meaning behind it. I'm not really a fan a lot of comedies but there's a few I like. My favorite comedy movie would have to be Little Miss Sunshine. I'm also not a fan of romance, but I do like the 80's movie Say Anything with John Cusack. The storyline was good.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've listed these as my top 10 favorite movies on IMDb:

Donnie Darko
The Godfather
Goodfellas
Taxi Driver
Paris, Texas
A Clockwork Orange
Chinatown
Blade Runner
Schindler's List
The Matrix Reloaded
(I know)

I also love Lost in Translation, which I think 4's especially can relate to. My enneagram type is most likely 4w5. Here's a list I found with movies exemplifying subtype themes: http://www.enneagramdimensions.net/articles\subtype_themes.pdf

·
Registered
195 Posts
Donnie darko. I'm a 4w5

Reactions: Dakris

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Origins is amazing!!! Just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago and have kinda been OCD with it since. Amazing amazing movie.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cinema Paradiso <3
Great Expectations -Alfonso Cuarón Version
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Almost Famous
Velvet Goldmine
The Mission
The Wall
I like all Bertolucci and Tornatore's films and every movie where is Jeremy Irons, I don't know, I really can relate with him.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dakris, we share a lot in common film-wise. I've also heard very good things about Solaris and Perfect Blue - in fact, Solaris is mentioned in a scene of my favourite film, He Died With A Felafel In His Hand.

He Died With A Felafel In His Hand - Australian comedy drama about sharehouse living. In twenty-something pseudo-intellectual protagonist Danny's words: "I've lived in 49 shared households in what seems like as many years. I've been ripped off, raided, threatened, burned out, shot at, cheated on, scabbed in every one of those years. My beds are foam slabs on the floor, my cupboards are stacks of stolen milk crates! I've lived with tent-dwelling bank clerks, albino moon tanners, nitrous suckers, psycho fucking drama queens, acid eaters, mushroom farmers, fucking brothel crawlers, fridge-pissers, hardcore separatist lesbians, and an obscurely-titled Japanese girl! And now the best friend I've ever had in the fucking world won't even fucking talk to me! [...] So I suggest, pal, that you tune in, and chill fucking out."

Apocalypse Now - An American captain returns to the Vietnam war and is sent on a secret mission to hunt down a rogue unit, the leader of which has gone mad and started his own cult, hacking through the thick jungles. Crazy vivid anti-war classic based on Heart Of Darkness. That end scene, by god.

Amadeus - ur-4 Salieri envies Mozart's divine gift in composition so badly it consumes him, and he conspires to murder his rival. Fictionalised historical.

Performance - a British criminal has to make a hasty escape following a botched operation, and hides out with a group of bohemian artists, including **** Jagger-- I mean, a retired rock star. They give him drugs and try to discover the truth behind his 'juggler' story.

Quadrophenia - a young man struggling with identity starts to question the point of the Mod movement he follows in the 1960s. Set against the Mod vs Rockers riots in Brighton and based on the Who's rock opera.

Equus - a psychologist is assigned to a shy young man who has violently blinded all the horses at the stable he worked at. He attempts to discover why, slowly gaining the boy's trust, and realises a level of fantasy and feeling beyond what he could have imagined.

Naked Lunch - Cronenburg's weird take on Burroughs' novel. Beat writer Lee is contacted by an agent from bizarre universe Interzone in the form of a talking bug/anus/typewriter, who asks him to make a report on happenings for Interzone. He is quickly swallowed by a psycho nightmare of body horror, secretions, and insects. Beautiful, lush cinematography.

The Great Rock'N'Roll Swindle - Malcolm McLaren's own fictionalised account on how to create a rock band (The Sex Pistols) and swindle huge amounts of money from record companies, broken into documentary footage, interviews, a detective story, a getaway, a disco, historical re-enactments, and a holiday to Cuba.

Sonatine - Japanese Yakuza film that derails after its first scene, following a yakuza group through their psyches and the breakdown of masculinity.

Antichrist - A psychologist and his wife retreat to a cabin in the woods to help the wife's neurotic behaviour after the death of their child. Spirals into self-castrating nightmares. Scary and a very good filmic portrait of anxiety, paranoia, fear and neurosis.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Dakris, we share a lot in common film-wise.

Antichrist - A psychologist and his wife retreat to a cabin in the woods to help the wife's neurotic behaviour after the death of their child. Spirals into self-castrating nightmares. Scary and a very good filmic portrait of anxiety, paranoia, fear and neurosis.
I want to see Solaris, seems like my type of movie. Andrei Tarkovsky is supposedly sp/sx 4w5. Antichrist is a modern masterpiece in my opinion. Brutal, but also beautiful. I wonder what the meaning of the title is though? I saw Apocalypse Now for the first time not long ago, a great movie.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
My favourite movie is the avatar of the guy above me.
Same.

Some other favourites of mine:
-A Clockwork Orange (My 2nd favourite)
-Full Metal Jacket
-Edward Scissorhands
-The Nightmare Before Christmas
-The Matrix
-Batman Forever
-Batman: The Dark Knight
-South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

·
Registered