Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please refrain from saying something sick like killing cats or sacrificing people's children, but anything else goes, from casting spells to going to parties to burning down a local politician's mansion and blaming it on the jack-o-lantern!

I tend to indulge in this stuff to relax anyway, but in October I remember a lot of things from my past, it really feels like a sacred time to me, like I reconnect with my younger self, not just through something like 80s pop I heard in my mom's car, but on a more wholistic level...like something therapeutic happens to me in the Halloween season, I revisit my older childhood, my teens, my twenties, my exes, people I loved who have died...

I also put up mad Halloween decorations, try to do something outdoors like a pumpkin patch or hayride, and listen to so much goth rock and industrial metal and horror movie soundtracks that I feel like I'm living in a ghost-y world with all of the pretty fall leaves all around me.

I also have an intense compulsion to eat pizza with old horror movies that I've already seen. That's really key for me, the pizza and the beloved horror. I indulge in things I usually would dismiss as adolescent and like to burn candles.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
October is my favorite month and Halloween is part of it. The changing of the season seems to refresh the soul. The crisp air and colorful leaves enliven the spirit, as do the smells that accompany the changes. In apple growing country cider mills ply their trade, and cider is accompanied by fresh baked goods. It is a heartfelt time that returns us to childhood, not merely the turning of a page on the calendar, as when July becomes August.

Memories stir. Your first memorable Halloween, your first trick or treating experience, as well as many of those that made up your childhood. Faces of family members now gone come to mind and become the people you once loved. I recall being a very young child and seeing the Devil at the door trick or treating. He was a child, of course, but he provided my first moment of terror. I cried, fled and hid behind an overstuffed chair. He must have been delighted.

I recall the early horror movies watched as a child on Shock Theater in the late night, and once being frightened into immobility by Universal’s Frankenstein playing on the black and white TV screen. When self control returned I fled to my bed. That 15 or 20 step journey seemed a hundred terrifying miles. Once in my bed the petrifying fear retuned. Nothing in life was ever that fearful again. That night there was a full moon, a gusty blowing wind whipping tree limbs, sounds and moving shadows. Nature had added her own special effects that Halloween night. It pains me a bit to admit I was eleven when that happened.

My love of horror films has never left me. During October I play them often. The terror is gone, but the memories of childhood are refreshed, a delightful link to days passed and people long departed.

My life has had many paranormal experiences and I have lived in a haunted house. While there is much fantasy about Halloween I cannot help being mindful that there are things not yet understood.

The days of decorating for Halloween are passed, there are no children around to trick or treat. The holiday has drifted into disfavor in some circles. Memories remain. There is a hint of sadness as October’s magic dies with the dawn and November creeps into existence. While November has its own flavor it is a lesser child. It will never be October.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w4 sx/sp 583
1,376 Posts
I play horror games and play thrash metal and death metal with ever more edgy-ier (deliberate) lyrics than usual.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Watching horror movies, eating candy, and dressing up as a serial killer or a demon.

I've never had a pumpkin spice latte that was mixed with liquor, but that does sound tasty...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Waxing car windows until someone said soap was better. It would wash off. Throwing eggs. Making a dummy out of whatever, taking it next to a busy street, and acting like we were kicking someone to death. Somebody would stop their car to save the victim, only to learn it was a fake.

In Detroit, the night before Halloween was called Devil’s night. Garages were set on fire all around the city, as well as abandoned houses. The kids were very mischievous. In fact, they were little devils.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
October is my favorite month and Halloween is part of it. The changing of the season seems to refresh the soul. The crisp air and colorful leaves enliven the spirit, as do the smells that accompany the changes. In apple growing country cider mills ply their trade, and cider is accompanied by fresh baked goods. It is a heartfelt time that returns us to childhood, not merely the turning of a page on the calendar, as when July becomes August.

Memories stir. Your first memorable Halloween, your first trick or treating experience, as well as many of those that made up your childhood. Faces of family members now gone come to mind and become the people you once loved. I recall being a very young child and seeing the Devil at the door trick or treating. He was a child, of course, but he provided my first moment of terror. I cried, fled and hid behind an overstuffed chair. He must have been delighted.

I recall the early horror movies watched as a child on Shock Theater in the late night, and once being frightened into immobility by Universal’s Frankenstein playing on the black and white TV screen. When self control returned I fled to my bed. That 15 or 20 step journey seemed a hundred terrifying miles. Once in my bed the petrifying fear retuned. Nothing in life was ever that fearful again. That night there was a full moon, a gusty blowing wind whipping tree limbs, sounds and moving shadows. Nature had added her own special effects that Halloween night. It pains me a bit to admit I was eleven when that happened.

My love of horror films has never left me. During October I play them often. The terror is gone, but the memories of childhood are refreshed, a delightful link to days passed and people long departed.

My life has had many paranormal experiences and I have lived in a haunted house. While there is much fantasy about Halloween I cannot help being mindful that there are things not yet understood.

The days of decorating for Halloween are passed, there are no children around to trick or treat. The holiday has drifted into disfavor in some circles. Memories remain. There is a hint of sadness as October’s magic dies with the dawn and November creeps into existence. While November has its own flavor it is a lesser child. It will never be October.
Ooooh I love your post! The two sentences I bolded are absolutely quotable. An essay prize for you:

CuddlyKiller.jpg

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Thank you. You are too kind.

During a 40 minute near-death (like) experience I was told skill with the written word was given to me as a gift. Meant for good, I misused it with ill will and much effect. Hence, the NDE and confrontation. It was most unpleasant. Some so much so that I cannot recall it.

It will not go well when I return permanently. Now I wait. Not for the unknown, but the known.

Here is a Halloween paranormal tale for you. And not one word is fiction.

Mind your soul. What you have said, and what you have done, are accountable.

·
Registered
Check Signature. 100 characters is just awful.
6,122 Posts
Reading a good Horror Book is my sort of thing that I always do in every Halloween. It is the law in my world. MWAHAHA

Reactions: Forest Nymph

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Can't tell, we don't celebrate Halloween in my country...AFAIK.
I planned to make a sPoOkY pumpkin for my very own entertainment but I probably won't even do it.

I like the whole atmosphere, though. Thanks to this holiday, videogame developers add some interesting updates to their games.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found out something really interesting the other day that should make all of the ritualistic Halloween-lovers feel better, and that is in Celtic tradition, Samhain (Halloween) is actually the most important holiday of the year, it's a combination of Christmas/New Year's that heralds the end of the harvest and the old year, but is also a profoundly spiritual time to honor ancestors and other beloved dead, as well as feeling a deeper connection to the spiritual realm in general, and casting spells that actually traditionally have more to do with love and marriage than cruelty or evil. The Catholic church apparently had an interpretation of Samhain that was similar (All Souls Day, All Saints Day, Dia de los Muertos) which honors the dearly departed between October 31st and November 2nd depending on culture, yet they were actually the ones to add a layer to it that showed bias or fear towards European pagan religions. It was Catholics that introduced the idea of having to dress up to ward off demon possession, as well as the idea that cows or pigs would go dead in the night on All Hallows Eve if not protected specially. Mischief and merry making and embracing the "shadow self" got distorted into "if you don't wear this ugly mask we'll have to call the exorcist tomorrow."

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
For me its definitely all about costume creation. Its also the one day a year no one will mock you for cosplaying.

Reactions: Forest Nymph

·
Registered
Computer says INTP
596 Posts
Halloween has only become a "thing" in the last few years in Australia. I don't celebrate it but I buy lollies and chocolates to give to the kids when they come knocking.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Halloween has only become a "thing" in the last few years in Australia. I don't celebrate it but I buy lollies and chocolates to give to the kids when they come knocking.
It's interesting to me that Australia is so different from the UK and the United States, since the States and Australia were both English-dominated major colonies around the same period. I think it may have something to do with class, I do know that at one point criminals were sent to Australia by England (????)

The current incarnation of pretty much all major holidays in the US is Victorian England. Halloween is Samhain combined with Catholic All Souls Day, perverted into a commercial celebration of cheap candy for school children. Christmas as we know it, the greed-fest that spoils children and inspired the travesty of Black Friday, is a Victorian interpretation of the more Catholic Christ Mass combined with pagan Winter Solstice. The roots are spiritual but the modern interpretations are fully capitalist and were formed during the Industrial era.

Though I know y'all had Valentines Day a century ago. I'm a Picnic at Hanging Rock fan. So I wonder why you didn't get Halloween. Lol.

Reactions: Rong Wong

·
Registered
Computer says INTP
596 Posts
It's interesting to me that Australia is so different from the UK and the United States, since the States and Australia were both English-dominated major colonies around the same period. I think it may have something to do with class, I do know that at one point criminals were sent to Australia by England (????)

The current incarnation of pretty much all major holidays in the US is Victorian England. Halloween is Samhain combined with Catholic All Souls Day, perverted into a commercial celebration of cheap candy for school children. Christmas as we know it, the greed-fest that spoils children and inspired the travesty of Black Friday, is a Victorian interpretation of the more Catholic Christ Mass combined with pagan Winter Solstice. The roots are spiritual but the modern interpretations are fully capitalist and were formed during the Industrial era.

Though I know y'all had Valentines Day a century ago. I'm a Picnic at Hanging Rock fan. So I wonder why you didn't get Halloween. Lol.
Yes, Australia was originally a convict settlement and its identity has been shaped by its early beginnings.

Although we are part of the British Commonwealth, we are fairly independent as a nation. We choose which holidays we celebrate. For example, in the state of Victoria, we have public holidays for the Melbourne Cup (an international horse race) and the Australian Rules Football grand final.

We used to celebrate Guy Fawkes night, but too many people were injured by pranks and mishaps. Eventually fireworks were banned.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, Australia was originally a convict settlement and its identity has been shaped by its early beginnings.

Although we are part of the British Commonwealth, we are fairly independent as a nation. We choose which holidays we celebrate. For example, in the state of Victoria, we have public holidays for the Melbourne Cup (an international horse race) and the Australian Rules Football grand final.

We used to celebrate Guy Fawkes night, but too many people were injured by pranks and mishaps. Eventually fireworks were banned.
It's good to ban fireworks. They're terrible for wildlife.

Reactions: Rong Wong
1 - 18 of 18 Posts