Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Shaun Tan, who illustrated "The Arrival", a wordless picture book about a man who immigrates to a new place. I just love his storytelling ability and the whimsy of his work.

Mirko Hanak is another favourite. There's so much soul in his work. It's so dreamy and graceful. His best work isn't online, unfortunately.

·
Administrator
14,150 Posts
Tove Jansson. Brilliant writer, too.
The Summer Book is my official "favorite book." I love her writing in it, though I haven't read anything else by her--including Moomins.

--------------------------------------

------------------

My most recent favorite illustrator is Chiara Bautista.

As a kid, these were some of my favorite illustrations:

Tiger Flower by Fleur Cowles

Favorite graphic novel is Cages by Dave McKean

I don't look at a lot of illustrators now though--just sometimes check Chiara Bautista.

·
Banned
7,754 Posts
For Anime/manga my favourite is Ai Yazawa.

For fashion illustration - Holly Nichols does a pretty cool job with copic markers...

And then other random illustrations, I love a variety of styles so can't narrow it down to one person XD

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I also love Shaun Tan, especially The Arrival. An amazing book.

I am a lover of picture books. My all time favorite illustrator is Maurice Sendak. This is a picture from Outside Over There.

outside over there.jpg

Some other greats:

jumanji.jpg
Chris Van Allsburg

sector 7.jpg
David Wiesner

emu.jpg
Steve Jenkins

And Marcia Brown, Sims Taback, Lois Ehlert, Kevin Henkes, Wanda Ga'ag, Robert McCloskey, Virginia Burton. There is a lot of great art in picture books.

Attachments

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
  • Frank Miller (300)

• Alan Moore (From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

Reactions: Daiz and ponpiri

·
Registered
98 Posts
This thread is great.
I don't have a favorite illustrator, but I do like the style of some:

Yo Az:

The way the "complex" becomes a complete, geometry and clear image.

Zaib Ali:

The colors, and the "keep it simple and still worthy."

She calls herself "Alexa Blokhin":

The gentle touch. And she knows what to draw.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also love Shaun Tan, especially The Arrival. An amazing book.

I am a lover of picture books. My all time favorite illustrator is Maurice Sendak. This is a picture from Outside Over There.

View attachment 727274
Little Bear is one of the greatest childrens books turned TV shows of all time. All time!

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
This is such a great thread. I remember there was a fairy tale book that had devastatingly dark illustrations from when I was a child (from a child's perspective). I'll look around for the book I'm thinking of and if I find it, I'll post the illustrator's name.

Edit to add: Michael Hague illustrated a version of Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales and some of his pictures left an impression on my mind as a child. A google image search result showed more of his illustrations that don't appear in this book that I recognize, so maybe he was also responsible for the dark fairy tale illustrations, too.

The Little Match Girl

The Little Mermaid

The Snow Queen

·
Registered
897 Posts
This is such a great thread. I remember there was a fairy tale book that had devastatingly dark illustrations from when I was a child (from a child's perspective). I'll look around for the book I'm thinking of and if I find it, I'll post the illustrator's name.
Please do; fairy tales with dark illustrations are wonderful.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
@Nesta The illustrations you shared are breathtaking. Thanks for sharing! The unicorn picture reminded me of the beautiful unicorns Michael Hague illustrates:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts