Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's share.

Top 3 favorite:

1. Cool Hand Luke - I relate entirely TOO much with this movie. I've been jailed for stupid reasons many times and have always just felt at odds with society and God, and yet the few who I share in this with adore me and seem to love my defiance/conflict. The end actually works a tear out of me almost every time.

2. Dr. Strangelove - Such a great dark humor.

3. V for Vendetta - I have the alliteration speech committed to memory.

Seeing as Roy Batty of Blade Runner is my avatar you were probably expecting that to be up there. The movie Blade Runner in its entirety is a little too saturnine for my taste and I was largely disappointed with the movie until the confrontation between Deckard and Batty and ultimately Batty's soliloquy made the movie awesome. But I can't put it top three based off of only a 15 minute interaction.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Bladerunner, Sunshine, Pandorum, seeing a pattern? :wink:

edit: and yes, I did expect Bladerunner to be in your top XD

I was gonna put Star Trek but I really only liked the 2009 movie so I elected not to put it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Bladerunner, Sunshine, Pandorum, seeing a pattern? :wink:

edit: and yes, I did expect Bladerunner to be in your top XD

I was gonna put Star Trek but I really only liked the 2009 movie so I elected not to put it.
2001: A Space Odyssey blows my mind away every time I see it, and it makes me wish I'd been alive in the 60's to just be blown away from the special effects because they still compete, even today. Not to mention its given me so much fodder to ruminate on. I can go on and on making interpretations about that movie.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
2001: A Space Odyssey blows my mind away every time I see it, and it makes me wish I'd been alive in the 60's to just be blown away from the special effects because they still compete, even today. Not to mention its given me so much fodder to ruminate on. I can go on and on making interpretations about that movie.
I only watched it about a week ago, I've been wanting to see it for some time and it was amazing. I really like the use of music and how there is no dialog for long spans of time. I only saw Bladerunner for the first time a few months ago XP

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Only 3? This is tough. I don't think this is complete.

Casablanca - the only love story I have seen over 20 times.
Superman II
Chinatown - I would watch these three movies anytime anywhere.

Honorable mention - Pulp Fiction, The Terminator, Taxi Driver, Blue Velvet, Barfly, etc. The main char in Barfly was INTP I would bet.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ya 2001 IMO is the definition and standard of 'An Epic Movie' The only reason I didn't put in on my list is because I have seen it only three times.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, feel free to post thousands of movies if you like. I wound up with 3 plus doing a little dialog on Blade Runner since the ending between Deckard and Batty deserves mention because those 4 films have actually evoked a significant emotional response out of me of some kind.

By all means I'm an easy going INTP here, and really this is just a veiled way for me to look for potential new movies to watch.

:shocked: Ulterior motives!? :shocked:

Sorry..

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I read in one of your posts that you did some MMA Trainwreck. If you have not seen Barfly with Micky Rourke check that movie out. It is an older 1980 or so movie but it is one of my favorites. The main char is a genius but he hates to show it; so he stays drunk and lives basically like the homeless. He goes into his favorite bar every night, and every time he gets drunk enough he cannot stop himself from telling this one bartender basically something like "you represent everything I hate about dumb fucks. I fucking hate your guts." The he and the bartender always go out in the alley and fight. The bartender is bigger than him and usually wins but he doesn't care. Oh man it is a fantastic and classic movie.

I watched BladeRunner several times when I was really young. I liked all sci-fi then and memorized most of the plot but the concepts went right over my little head. I found this guy's post at PerC to really give me a new perspective about the movie. http://personalitycafe.com/book-music-movie-reviews/30432-blade-runner-film-analysis-very-detailed-very-interesting-breakdown.html You may enjoy the video posted. The analysis given from that link gave me a much deeper respect for most scenes in that film.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read in one of your posts that you did some MMA Trainwreck. If you have not seen Barfly with Micky Rourke check that movie out. It is an older 1980 or so movie but it is one of my favorites. The main char is a genius but he hates to show it; so he stays drunk and lives basically like the homeless. He goes into his favorite bar every night, and every time he gets drunk enough he cannot stop himself from telling this one bartender basically something like "you represent everything I hate about dumb fucks. I fucking hate your guts." The he and the bartender always go out in the alley and fight. The bartender is bigger than him and usually wins but he doesn't care. Oh man it is a fantastic and classic movie.

I watched BladeRunner several times when I was really young. I liked all sci-fi then and memorized most of the plot but the concepts went right over my little head. I found this guy's post at PerC to really give me a new perspective about the movie. http://personalitycafe.com/book-music-movie-reviews/30432-blade-runner-film-analysis-very-detailed-very-interesting-breakdown.html You may enjoy the video posted. The analysis given from that link gave me a much deeper respect for most scenes in that film.
That Rourke film sounds like it has potential to be a BIG favorite of mine! Resentment for stupidity has dogged me a lot in life. I remember in college I couldn't believe how dumb some of the people there were and a lot of times I'd tell them "I only like you when I'm drunk," which was obviously a mean and drunk thing to say. But yeah, I'm a Rourke fan for sure so I'm definitely gonna check that film out.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

·
Banned
644 Posts
My top three are right below.

Lord of the Rings (the whole trilogy): epic in all cinematic proportions (characters, story, etc.)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: emotionally invoking and reminds us that memories are a bigger part of us than we realize.

Rifftrax (any movie): very comedic and puts poorly made and illogical films in their proper place.

And I hope to see Bladerunner for the first time.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I also really like 28 days later.
I liked 28 days later but I think the remake of Dawn of the Dead was the best zombie movie I have ever seen. The opening with the little zombie girl trying to bite her mom had me hooked immediately. I was in Vegas at the time I saw it at the theater so that may have had something to do with it.

My fav horror movie may be Evil Dead 2. It is just so damn over the top and fun. The most scared I have ever been from a movie was watching the PG 13 movie Poltergeist. I was 8 when I saw it and that damn puppet clown under the kid's bed may have resulted in a phobia of clowns I still possess on some level.

I thought District 9 was the best sci-fi movie I saw last year.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Non-compreensive list of my favourite films:
Memento, 2000: There is a WHOLE lot of stuff that is easy to miss on the first, second, etc. viewing. I've watched it in chronological order as well. Some people debate Nolan's intentions with this movie, but it's all somewhat simple to me (which I won't spoil for those who haven't seen it).

M*A*S*H, 1970: Probably not Altman's "best" work, but hands-down my favourite. Very dark, biting humour that is easy for the...less cerebral to miss. It's also important that one watches this movie with an understanding of the context of the times (although one could make the argument that films should transcend time, etc.). Despite the subtley and nuance Altman employs, there are scenes where a hell of a lot if going on. Maybe it's more of a favourite for me from a directoral standpoint.

Winter Soldier, 1972: One of the best examples of documentary filmmaking EVER. One of the first things they discuss is how they had contests to see who could throw prisoners out of a helicpoter the farthest; pretty dark shit here the the government would like to deny, so it's nice to hear these soldiers discuss the atrocities they saw and had a part of while in Vietnam. America wasn't ready for this film; it didn't get a wide release until 2005 when it was released on DVD. If you have Netflix and have a penchant for the darker side of humanity (read: truth), I HIGHLY recommend this movie.

And various other movies that I might go into later, depending on how long this thread lasts.

Reactions: nothingnew

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two of my favorite MMA documentary films are Choke & Smashing Machine. Both films are online.

Choke:

Choke - (A Rickson Gracie Documentary)

Smashing Machine:

Part 1:

Dailymotion - Mark Kerr smashing machine p1 - a Sports & Extreme video

Part 2:

Dailymotion - Mark Kerr smashing machine p2 - a Sports & Extreme video
Mark Kerr had such a tragedy of a career, it was such a shame to see him go down like that. Man that was back in the day when Igor Vovchanchyn was big news. Igor BTW was awesome as well, my heart tore in half when Crocop LHKed him.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Mark Kerr had such a tragedy of a career, it was such a shame to see him go down like that. Man that was back in the day when Igor Vovchanchyn was big news. Igor BTW was awesome as well, my heart tore in half when Crocop LHKed him.
Igor Vovchanchyn was one of my favorite earlier MMA fighters. He had a lethal mixture of punching power, kickboxing and wrestling. I remember the days when he destroyed Enson Inoue and Francisco Bueno in PRIDE, or years before, when he consistently out-punched gargantuan sluggers in no-holds barred tournaments. I once read, in an old MMA interview, that when Igor was young and became angry, people in his village locked themselves in their houses and rang bells to warn other folks of his temperament.

Igor IFC tournament highlight:

Igor Vovchanchyn IFC highlight, by G4hacker

1 - 20 of 75 Posts