Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite movie and why?

Personally, I LOVE Hairspray. I have never seen the actual musical, but I can never get enough of the movie.

My other favorite, although completely different than my first choice, is Lars And The Real Girl. Makes me tear up a little bit every time...:]

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Almost Famous and Love Actually.

Favorites for all time. They're just beautiful movies...and not all sad-beautiful or all happy-beautiful, but a kind of true-beautiful...that has both happy and sad. And they make me feel in love with life and in love with love and in love with the world. I adore them.

Honorable mentions for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Garden State, and Elizabethtown. :)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I hate this question because I have so many. However, if I am forced to pin my colours down to one movie that I love almost all the time; it has to be Dead Man Walking. It's moving, intelligent, thought provoking and has a beautiful background score to boot. Superb acting; and I challenge supporters of the death penalty to actually watch it to confront the less academic side of the death penalty.

Reactions: Jammies

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,122 Posts
Good heavens - ONE?????

I really like "Meet Joe Black" - it never fails to move me, no matter how often I see it. I also can watch "Clerks" and "Monty Python's Holy Grail" endlessly.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
The Ninth Gate.

Everyone else I know thinks it was sub-par, but personally I loved the pacing and the constant sense of foreboding throughout.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The Dreamers (my favourite), mysterious skin, me you and everyone we know, american beauty, fight club, Breathless, Four rooms, Stay, Blackmoon, Anchorman <3, magnolia, never let me go, devil's rejects... etc

goodnight [= xx

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
The Emperor's New Groove, The Matrix Trilogy, Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Coming To America, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Three Iron, and Family Jewels (a jerry lewis movie )
I have more but I can't think right now.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Big Lebowski, Best of Show, Brazil, North by Northwest, Office Space, The Prestige, Run Lola Run.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My Top 25

(At first I tried a Top 10, but it didn't work, haha)

1. Pan's Labythinth, Guillermo Del Toro
2. Rosemary's Baby, Roman Polanski
3. Breakfast at Tiffany's, Blake Edwards
4. Leon: the Professional, Luc Besson
5. The Goodfather, Francis Ford Coppola
6. No Country for Old Men, Ethan Coen & Joel Coen
7. Gladiator, Ridley Scott
8. Schindler's List, Steven Spielberg
9. Slumdog Millionaire, Danny Boyle
10. Amélie, Jean-Pierre Jeunet
11. Finding Nemo, Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich
12. City of God, Fernando Meirelles
13. The Edukators, Hans Weingartner
14. Forrest Gump, Robert Zemeckis
15. My Best Friend's Wedding, P. J. Hogan
16. Pride & Prejudice, Joe Wright
17. Life Is Beautiful, Roberto Benigni
18. Ghost, Jerry Zucker
19. Sweet November, Pat O'Connor
20. Ratatouille, Brad Bird
21. Doctor Zhivago, David Lean
22. Matilda, Danny DeVito
23. Marley & Me, David Frankel
24. Black Swan, Darren Aronofsky
25. Mulan, Tony Bancroft

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
OF ALL TIME
AVATAR! (NOT the last airbender CRAP!!!)

this is my ALL TIME favourite because
~The movie is very tribal. Like Amerindian and African tribalism - I love tribal people, you know the ones who we call "SAVAGES" -
~The spirit/god was life, the life of everything. And to be symbolized by a tree... that made it for me.
~the main character abandoned his own, crossing over from bad to good even though they were his own people.
~he was empty, crippled, broken and yet more pure than those around him. And became whole again
~he lived a double life... almost like within a video game, or a book - I feel this way so often, I can just imagine if it was actually real

Favourite part - where Neytiri finds Jake suffocating and cradles him like a baby. The fact that she sees him for what he is - a crippled alien - and still "Sees" him and loves him, blows my mind really. I eat up that sort of thing (cause its only on film :p)
OH! and the fact that he sees her looking all GINORMOUS in him human eyes... lol, when she cupped his hand on her cheek I was like :O damn.

Favourite Quote - "If Grace is there with you - look in her memories - she can show you the world we come from. There's no green there. They killed their Mother, and they're gonna do the same here." ~ Jake Sully

I was probably bawling when he said that.

Other <3s
300, Derailed, V for Vendetta
The Incredibles, Oh Brother, Where art thou?, Juno

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
The Godfather I & II

nuff said..
i love the strategic maneuvering as well as the character development- that moment outside the hospital when michael realises his hands aren't shaking is just beautifully crafted and believable; you can imagine the moment yourself where you suddenly realise "FUCK i am BORN for this shit- does that scare me or excite me?". simple but effective- something that describes all the best pieces of creative genius.

easily the most well done personalities of any movie in history. everyone loves it but it's the intelligent that can spot the untold developments throughout the movie that are really rewarded by this masterpiece. the acting's OK as well.. i guess.....

147 Posts
Anything with Will Smith, A Nightmare On Elm Street, all of the Saw movies, and Finding Nemo. :proud:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Bad Teacher- Fricken hilarious! Even though I'm a Christian I can definately relate to some of the things this lady thinks. I only saw it last night but I will definately be buying this when it comes out on DVD!
Marley and Me- Aww. I always cry buckets when I watch this because it came out a few months after my dog got put down. I love watching the dog grow from a puppy into an elder and the family grow up around it, and the love story between the two leads.
Shrek- Well its a classic, isn't it?
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- Aww. Reminds me why people think Brad Pitt is so hot!
Forrest Gump- Another classic. I don't enjoy watching it so much now because I've seen it like a zillion times but if it suddenly disappeared off the face of the Earth I'd have a little weep. I grew up on this movie.
The Last Song- People hate Miley Cyrus, but I thought she was brilliant in this movie. I avoided it for a long time, but got stuck on a long flight so I wanted to curb my interest and it was amazing. I didn't like the first half of the movie because it was stereotypical bad girl- the kinds I had to endure when I was younger and pretend to be nice to, but in the second half she became really relatable, especially when tragedy struck.
Legally Blonde- I put this on when I need a kick up the arse- it reminds me that no matter how much other people think I'm a freak (and they do) that I'm a beautiful person and I deserve great things, and that if I put my mind to it I can achieve great things. (Haters gonna hate!)
Hotel for Dogs- Another tear jerker for me- funny how movies can make you cry even when they're not supposed to! I first watched this when we were in the middle of a dog hunt and I was really stressed out and still in mourning over my other dog, and my heart just ached over all those pups without home.
A Walk to Remember- The romance, the christian stuff, the cancer... more tears from me.
Easy A- Haha, love this! Its kind of hard to take seriously because half the girls I went to school with were skanks and you were more likely to get made fun of for being a virgin than sleeping around. I love it how movies these days promote intelligence as being sexy and fun rather than blonde bimbos as being the in things. Its more relatable for me, although I don't have a bit of charisma unlike the girl in the movie.
The Lovely Bones- read the book. HATED IT. Watched the movie. Amazing! I think if you liked the book you were less likely to like the movie. I did enjoy the book more once I had seen the movie, although I thought some of it was really icky and unneccessary. I really liked the CGI and the idea of an afterlife and how it was constantly changing.
Harry Potter- No explanation required
The Little Mermaid- An ENFP like me. Oh goody :) And who wouldn't want to be a mermaid? Just stay away from the sharks!
My Sisters Keeper- Great cast and story. I wonder what it would have been like if they'd kept the original ending?
Marie Antoinette- I love the story, but also the cakes, the clothes etc. Beautiful cinematography.
Up- LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! Talking dogs, that amazing bird, a grumpy old man and a funny kid. Just wish pixar used more girls.
Slumdog Millionaire- I saw this with a mentor type person from church just before I left New Zealand, right before my visa for England got accepted. The story was amazing and I loved the use of flashbacks, but its horrible seeing the situation in places like India and knowing there isn't that much you can do about it.
The Power of One- Never read the book, but I really enjoyed the movie. I felt for the main character as a little boy as an outsider, I really wish I could have been there to protect him.
Finding Nemo- I got off school early and saw this with my dad towards the end of my days of getting bullied. Along with watching ''Scrubs'' on tv it is one of the best memories of that part of my life and I'm so glad he took me. I didn't have alot going for me back then, and everyone needs a pick me up occassionally- this is seriously one of the funniest movies- I couldn't believe there were only two other people in the cinema! I guess everyone else was either at school or at work.
Gone with the Wind- Only saw this like two years ago, but I regret not seeing it sooner. I can see why its a classic!
50 First Dates- I hope my love life ends up like this- except I wouldn't want to be stuck on the same day for eternity! Although it is frozen on October 13th which is my birthday so that would be awesome for me! Adam Sandler is like my dream guy in this (or some variation of it!).
Enchanted- Me on a good day!
Life of Brian- Sooo funny! And I don't think its disrespectful because its about ''Brian'' not ''Jesus'' and it a social commentary of the time- a funny one at that! ''What have the Romans ever done for US?''
The Matrix- I didn't think I'd like this but I got dragged along and surprise surprise I liked it. I don't know why, but I like action movies. You'd never guess by talking to me. I didn't really get it but the girl who was with me was explaining everything which was helpful (shes like a genius).
Titanic- Aww. I would love to see this in 3D!
Madagascar 2- I didn't really like the first one (maybe because everyone else was obsessed with it?) but I was curious about the second one. Seeing the animals ''escape'' was hilarious and seeing Marty the Lion as a baby was sooo cute!
The 5 People you meet in Heaven- Read the book, loved it. Watched the movie- loved it. Another tear jerker though. Unfortunately it hasn't been released outside the US so I don't know if I'll ever be able to get it on DVD.
Amelie- Awesome. Not good when you're tired and can't be bothered watching subtitles.
Yes Man- Inspiring stuff. Remains me of when I'm manic though.
Horton Hears a Who (that Elephant HAS to be an ENFP)- My friend wanted me to see this with her at the movies and I said no. She then said how awesome it was so I ordered a copy of Amazon (always a risky move) and I loved it.
Ground Hog Day- who wouldn't want to be stuck in a day to develop their skills and do whatever they want without consequences?
Fried Green Tomatoes- Love the intertwining of two stories
Andre- Cute story about a girl and her friend seal
Click- A good concept until you manage to screw up your life by fast forwarding through everything.
The Gods must be Crazy- haha awesome
Zombieland- this is why movie nights with the boys is essential for a girl like me- otherwise I would never watch movies like this!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Bad Teacher
Marley and Me
Shrek
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Forrest Gump
Legally Blonde
Hotel for Dogs
A Walk to Remember
Easy A
The Lovely Bones
Harry Potter
The Little Mermaid
My Sisters Keeper
Marie Antoinette
Up
Slumdog Millionaire
The Power of One
Finding Nemo
Gone with the Wind
50 First Dates
Enchanted
Life of Brian
The Matrix
Titanic
Madagascar 2
The 5 People you meet in Heaven
Amelie
Yes Man
lol it's funny i can get a vibe of your personality just from that list.. i love being ENFP.

surprise surprise your vibe is quite ENFPishy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts