Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is inspired by Roadside America, a book about things to see in the U.S. that are interesting, but really different. It includes things like the world's largest ball of string (that is old, stinking, but intriguing.
Some of the things I like are as follows (what it is, why it gives me kicks):
1) Red Dwarf, the British Sitcom about a guy who is stranded alone on a huge industrial spacecraft with only his cat, the computer, and the hologram of his favorite shipmate to keep him company. It is stupid, but fun. Like the series "The A-Team" it is a guilty secret. Also, I dig it because it is British.
2) Collussus: The Forbin Project. This movie is from way, way back when they used punch cards to talk to computers, and when the computer in question was really, really huge. It is so incredibly dated. I just got it, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. About 15 years ago I had a very young fellow come from IT support and work on my computer. He asked me what I thought about Roswell. I knew very little, but I told him it was strictly the things they make TV series about. Turns out he believed it because he had no other explanation for how computer technology came to be. I'm an old coot. I saw the stuff evolve. He looked me in the eye as he told me it was alien to earth!?
3) The Float Plant Notebooks by Clyde Edgerton. I read this book 5 or 6 times and gave it away because I couldn't justify spending any more of my life reading it. It was incredible. I can't really justify calling it Off the Wall, but it is a really good read. Thus, while it doesn't really fit in this thread so well, it's a fun book to read (if you like it).
So, anybody got any kicks from off the wall?
Oh, ever watch a spider spin a web around a bug? That is so fascinating! (That is from hanging off the wall!).
Digger Blue :tongue:

·
Registered
753 Posts
well this is a fun thread.

1. large collections of anything. and even better if i can put them in a container. they all must be all the same. like a little box of paperclips or a ton of the same nail polish (different colors) in a little nice container. or a lot of books in my bookshelf. you get the picture.
2. anything british. i am an anglophile. especially british comedy. and men.
3. netflix. i can't get enough. seriously, i can watch things automatically and have them delivered to my house also. genius!
4. any HBO show. any time.

ok ok, i'm not being specific. or super interesting. sue me.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Sue!
Digger Blue

PS We used to have to collect and catalog 100 bugs for high school biology. I stopped in at a small museum in Missouri or N. Arkansas one time and they had the biggest bug collection I'd ever seen in my life. They dropped the task just as I hit the 10th grade. I was so ready. By the way, don't pooh pooh bug collecting. I knew a guy who'd chop open wasps looking for some kind of bug that they eat. He never found it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the topic of bugs, by the way, I found a fascinating tiny critter on the sink one time. Looked like a tiny tick, but with really huge pincers. Turns out he was a pseudo scorpion. They live under your sink and kill (with their toxic pincers) other less desirable bugs. I Googled up Arachnid and pincers and found him immediately, being a pseudo scorpion. Very common throughout most of the U.S. I was tempted to let him pinch me and see just how toxic his pincer was, but decided it was not worth the pain. Anything he kills will be on the scale of his body, and that was very, very tiny, but a few nerves that git pissed off can really sing!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
1. Body suspension (watching not participating)
2. Real Housewives (haha okay so maybe it's just weird for an ESFP to enjoy it sometimes)
3. not exactly entertainment but I enjoy influencing things/my environment with my mind (seriously and I don't really mean in a mundane way here)
4. spoken word/slam/poetry
5. hip-hop in the form of all the arts - graffiti, breakdancing, emceeing, and beat production
6. kung fu!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sparkles Off the Wall!

1. Body suspension (watching not participating)
2. Real Housewives (haha okay so maybe it's just weird for an ESFP to enjoy it sometimes)
3. not exactly entertainment but I enjoy influencing things/my environment with my mind (seriously and I don't really mean in a mundane way here)
4. spoken word/slam/poetry
5. hip-hop in the form of all the arts - graffiti, breakdancing, emceeing, and beat production
6. kung fu!!
1. You can expound on this one if you will. I tried it once as a kid off the top of a bunk bed, and I almost bled to death.
2. I live with one of them, thus never had need to watch the show.
3. ?
4. I can make rhymes quite spontaneously, but do best work with songs.
5. I did emcee one time and had a custom made suit: black with red trim and long tails. My car broke down after I wore it to a restaurant in a seedy part of the city, and I wound up hoofing it in costume down University Ave. Wish I had photos of that episode.
6. When the show came out decades ago I shaved my head. I went to the basketball game and sold concessions. All the little kids wanted to touch my head. It made a big hit. My current practice of self defense involves running very quickly. :happy:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
1. You can expound on this one if you will. I tried it once as a kid off the top of a bunk bed, and I almost bled to death.
2. I live with one of them, thus never had need to watch the show.
3. ?
4. I can make rhymes quite spontaneously, but do best work with songs.
5. I did emcee one time and had a custom made suit: black with red trim and long tails. My car broke down after I wore it to a restaurant in a seedy part of the city, and I wound up hoofing it in costume down University Ave. Wish I had photos of that episode.
6. When the show came out decades ago I shaved my head. I went to the basketball game and sold concessions. All the little kids wanted to touch my head. It made a big hit. My current practice of self defense involves running very quickly. :happy:
1. People who hang from hooks: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/233/3/e/body_suspension_6_by_cordowa.jpg
3. Exerting personal will on the environment in a mystical kind of way. For win/win purposes.
4. What sort of songs do you make?
5. Wow that suit sounds awesome! That's not the kind of emceeing I was talking about (I was talking about the sort of thing that rapping used to be about) but I'd like to see someone dressed in a suit like that.

...Went to a breakdancing battle tonight and it was incredible. Danced a little myself at the end. Did a split, got some props. Watching the battle was even better though.

6. Kung fu is in a tv show? I've only seen it in movies from the 70s and movies trying to imitate the ones from the 70s. Your approach to self-defense sounds pretty logical to me :laughing:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1). Viewed the pictures of body suspensions. Thought that was just hanging out. Well, the ultimate of "hanging out".
2). Found the suit. Might have photos of me in it. Doesn't fit me anymore. It is slick, and fun for an ESFP to wear.
3). Kung Fu was originally a movie which served as a pilot for the tv series of the same name. David Carradine starred in both as I recall. What was also interesting was some of the movies I'd seen on late night TV that were made in China or Hong Kong, or somewhere. They were clearly Chinese, but with English subtitles, each character featuring a different U.S. dialect. It was all about martial arts, the use of some weird weapons (i.e., a forged steel ring about the diameter of a dinner plate). Long before Bruce Lee. (I used to be a stunt double for Bruce Lee, then later starred in the role of Walker, Texas Ranger, so you've probably seen me on the tube before. Yes, I am kidding).
Let me know if you need a song for a particular purpose and I'll see what I can do for you.
Digger Blue

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I would love to see the photos in your emcee garb!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to dig around (comes naturally). Finding it, to be quite honest, would be a long shot. I actually have a much better photo. I went bowling with my church years and years ago. There were two old men, one of whom was a very extroverted clown. The other was much more reserved, but still had a good heart and a sense of humor. He was about 6'4" tall. I am able to do math, but I have to really concentrate. Cribbage is not for me. So I was trying to add up the scores, and I was focusing to overcome the noise of the bowling alley. I was seated at the scorekeeper's chair, and bent over studying the numbers. The tall guy posed looking over my shoulder, and the other old coot realized what was going on, so he ran over and stuck his head in the picture with a grin, so I was framed by these two elderly goofballs, and I was the straight man. I never knew the photo had been taken until it arrived with the rest of the prints!!!!
Digger Blue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts