Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been starting threads left and right...I'm just so excited to be a part of this forum, :)

Anyway, What are some of your favorite quotes?

Mine are:

[In my signature, I feel like this is very, very ENFJ]
The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.

That is real freedom
-David Foster Wallace

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.
- Buddah [It's very hard for me to not worry about the future, so I try to remember this]

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.
- Dr Seuss [I feel like this is important for me to remember sometimes - to me this quote reminds me that I am me and I am unique and important. To try and remember that I have needs too, and they are worth telling people about.]

Yay!

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
156 Posts
The whole poem "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley has really resonated with me. So much so, that I got the last two lines tattooed on the top of my feet.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate
And though I oft have passed them by
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

·
Registered
16 Posts
Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's a cha-cha. ~Robert Brault

-If it's to be, then it's up to me.

-Don't let the fact that you can't do all you want to do keep you from doing what you can do.

-The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

Hahah, and of course I have to add something from the Lord of the Rings:
Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

·
Registered
159 Posts
First a warning, these quotes are from the boondock saints second movie so it does contain some swearing.

"Rocco: Men build things, then we die. It's in our fucking DNA! THAT'S WHAT WE DO!
Murphy MacManus: And when it all falls down?
Rocco: We build it right back up again.
Connor MacManus: But this time bigger. BETTER!
Rocco: Look! Look what we can do. Look how fuckin' beautiful we are. You think the men that built all this had it easy? "

"Rocco: There's two kinds of people in this world when you boil it all down. You've got your 'talkers' and you've got your 'doers'. Most people are just talkers, all they got is talk. But when all is set and done, it's the doers who change this world. And when they do that, they change us. And thats why we never forget them... So which one are you? Do you just talk about it or do you stand up and do something about it? Because believe you me, all the rest of it is just coffee house bullshit. "

Just some strong quotes that struck me from that movie even though I like the first one better.

The one in my signature has to be my favorite right now though:

"If I were the rain, That does connect the sky, and the earth which can't meet and hold on eternally, would I have been able to connect, and hold onto someone's heart?"
-quote from Bleach

another from bleach:

"It’s easier to crush a dream than realize one, forming a bond is infinitely more difficult than breaking one" (A Quote from Bleach by Gin Ichimaru)

and one of my own quotes (though I'm sure someone else has made it up before me): "The things people love the most are the things that are easily broken."

I have more but I can't think of them now since I'm so tired.

~EBD

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heard a great one today.

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream.” - Paul Coelho

·
Registered
89 Posts
a most recent one would be
"our heads are stakes, driven right through our hearts" (Dennis Cooper)

though i am not sure if this is a completely precise quote, like, i could have switched something in the word order or so, since i'm writing from memory, but i don't think that could change the meaning, which is quite clear :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts