Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's your favorite quote?

my friend told me this two days ago, i really needed it

- to be happy is not a to arrive at a final destination (to get the perfect car then you are happy forever)
it's a way of travelling (hapiness in the little things)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have many.

"I've got to fold
Because these hands are just
Too shaky to hold
Hunger hurts,
But starving works
When it costs
Too much to love."
-Fiona Apple, "Paper Bag"

Reactions: nadineinc

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people.
-Aleister Crowley

Reactions: Life.Is.A.Game

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
what's your favorite quote?

my friend told me this two days ago, i really needed it

- to be happy is not a to arrive at a final destination (to get the perfect car then you are happy forever)
it's a way of travelling (hapiness in the little things)
i have another good one for you that basically says the same thing, but it's very quote worthy :D

It is better to travel well than to arrive. ~Siddhartha Buddha

& mines in my siggy :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have never exploded, but I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known.

"The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"Even when the universe made it quite clear to me that I was mistaken in my certainties, in my definitions...I did not break. The shattering of my sureties did not shatter me. Stability always comes from the inside, not the outside."
--Lucille Clifton

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
- from THE VELVETEEN RABBIT

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to live...mad to talk...mad to be saved...desirous of everything at the same time. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but BURN, BURN, BURN...like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awwwwww!" --Jack Kerouac

For long you live and high you fly,
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
And all you touch and all you see,
Is all your life will ever be. --Pink Floyd

"Be the change that you want to see in the world."
--Ghandi

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." --Albert Einstein

"The candle burns at both ends, and will not last the night. But aww, my foes, and oh my friends, it gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

A bell is no bell 'til you ring it,
A song is no song 'til you sing it,
And love in your heart
Wasn’t put there to stay -
Love isn’t love
'Til you give it away.

"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing."
--Anais Nin

"What you think means more than anything else in your life. More than what you earn, more than where you live, more than your social position, and more than what anyone else may think about you."

"I shall pass through this life but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it...for I shall never pass this way again." --Etienne de Grellet

How is one to live a moral and compassionate existence when one is fully aware of the blood, the horror inherent in life, when one finds darkness not only in one’s culture but within oneself? If there is a stage at which an individual life becomes truly adult, it must be when one grasps the irony in its unfolding and accepts responsibility for a life lived in the midst of such paradox. One must live in the middle of contradiction, because if all contradiction were eliminated at once, life would collapse. There are simply no answers to some of the great pressing questions. You continue to live them out, making your life a worthy expression of leaning into the light. --Barry Lopez

Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day. --Rainer Maria Rilke

“There comes a time when you have to stand up and shout:
This is me damn it! I look the way I look, think the way I think, feel the way I feel, love the way I love! I am a whole complex package. Take me...or leave me. Accept me - or walk away! Do not try to make me feel like less of a person, just because I don't fit your idea of who I should be and don't try to change me to fit your mold. If I need to change, I alone will make that decision. When you are strong enough to love yourself 100%, good and bad - you will be amazed at the opportunities that life presents you. --Stacey Charter

"People disappear when they die. Their voice, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living memory of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continue to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humor, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

As one tends the graves of the dead, so I tend the books. I clean them, do minor repairs, keep them in good order. And everyday I open a volume or two, read a few lines or pages, allow the voices of the forgotten dead to resonate inside my head. Do they sense it, these dead writers, when their books are read? Does a pinprick of light appear in their darkness? Is their soul stirred by the feather touch of another mind reading theirs? I do hope so."

--Diane Setterfield: The Thirteenth Tale

"DO ALL THINGS WITH LOVE!"

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
"Happiness is the longing for repetition." - Milan Kundera

"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."- Jane Austen

"Maybe humans are just the pet alligators that God flushed down the toilet." - Chuck Palahniuk

"If you can't laugh at yourself, life is going to seem a whole lot longer than you'd like." - Garden State

Reactions: h4zmat

·
Registered
9 Posts
“When was the last time you wanted to say it all to the right person? To have it all come out right, to surprise yourself at how together you could be. When was the last time you ever met someone who made you want to give it all to them? I mean give yourself to them. Where you couldn't express yourself enough - like you wanted to cut off one of your arms to be understood. That's it - you would cut your head off to have someone understand you. You know how pointless that one is. You know how many times you've smashed yourself to bits on the rocks.”

“I must tell you that I was always afraid of the fury with which I loved you. It overwhelmed me. I thought it beyond comprehension, therefore my silence.”

“Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.”

"It hurts to let go. Sometimes it seems the harder you try to hold on to something or someone the more it wants to get away. You feel like some kind of criminal for having felt, for having wanted. For having wanted to be wanted. It confuses you, because you think that your feelings were wrong and it makes you feel so small because it's so hard to keep it inside when you let it out and it doesn't coma back. You're left so alone that you can't explain. Damn, there's nothing like that, is there? I've been there and you have too. You're nodding your head."

"You forgave me in a dream the other night. The more you told me it was alright, the worse I felt. I know that you were only doing it because you knew I couldnt possibly hurt you more than I already had. I could see what forgiving me was doing to you. I know that you think I'm to stupid to figure it all out. When you forgave me, you knew that it was finally over. The pain would leave me, I would forget you and you would never see me again except in a dream. It is sad that the things that we saw in each other are no longer there. It is a shame that we tore each other apart looking for things that we needed desperately but could never find. It is tragic that we only wanted to give each other but only stole from ourselves and blamed each other for the emptiness in our lives. I see you differently now. I no longer fear you. It took years to see you for what you really are."

Henry Rollins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts