Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
馃殌
I recently remembered about reading this book, when I was in the process of becoming a more healthy INFP. That is, I didn't know I was an INFP, or anything about the theory. But who knows, maybe it helped open up/develop Ne and Te.

Pirsig aims towards a perception of the world that embraces both sides, the rational and the romantic. This means encompassing "irrational" sources of wisdom and understanding as well as science, reason and technology. In particular, this must include bursts of creativity and intuition that seemingly come from nowhere and are not (in his view) rationally explicable. Pirsig seeks to demonstrate that rationality and Zen-like "being in the moment" can harmoniously coexist. He suggests such a combination of rationality and romanticism can potentially bring a higher quality of life.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Banned
Dune Trilogy by Frank Herbert
The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien
The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card (I second that @Pseudonym_Adderall)
Wisdom Paradox by Elkhonon Goldberg
etc
etc..

Registered
1. The Catcher In The Rye
2. The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
3. Bright Lights Big City

Those are my three favorites ever, and I'm fairly certain that the protagonists of the first two are both INFPs. I would also recommend anything by Oscar Wilde if you're looking to be entertained :)

Registered
Haruki Murakami is an INFP and mostly writes about INFPs too. His books are atmospheric, slightly philosophical, yet not difficult, and very informal. There's no hurry to get anywhere with the plot, it's about how it makes you feel. Generally his characters are lonely, passive and melancholic with an appreciation for the little things. They're easy to relate to for us, I suppose, and fun to be with. Surreal things tend to eventually happen, and there are cats. Norwegian Wood is my favorite, and is just a really good story about love. If you're more interested in the surrealism he's known for, Kafka on the Shore is probably for you, or if you're in the mood for a brick, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, which is this epic story about an unemployed man looking for his missing cat in his neighbourhood. Over the years I've somehow read everything by Murakami, even things have never been officially published in the West, so I guess his books are my favorite.

Registered
My favorite reads (all nonfiction) from the past year include:

How to Win Friends and Influence People
Your Brain at Work
The Four Agreements
Moonwalking With Einstein
Being Peace
The Intention Experiment
The Story of Stuff
Tiny Buddha, Simple Wisdom for Life's Hard Questions

Registered
Dune by Frank Herbert
the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
The Z-Day Incidents (short stories)
Lonestar Planet by H. Beam Piper
The Princess Bride
I'm afraid I could go on for quite some time... Those are some of my favorites. Enjoy.

Registered
Geek Love - Katherine Dunn
Story of My Life - Jay McInerney (Bright Lights, Big City is also really good and written in 2nd person)
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card (movie will be out next year)

The Rememberer - Aimee Bender (it's a short story that you can read in it's entirety here - The Rememberer by Aimee Bender)

Registered
Also: The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

It's one of my favorite novels ever. Quick and painless summary: The Devil comes to Moscow and there is a pistol-wielding cat involved.

(Edit: I loved it so much, when I went to Moscow to study Russian, I went to the Bulgakov Museum, which is Bulgakov's old apartment, actually a setting in the story. I also saw the pond mentioned in the beginning of the story. Thought it would be bigger. Anyway, it was awesome.)

Registered
I also recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance as well as its sequel Lila.

Registered
Recently, Cloud Atlas

Also
anything by Murakami (especially liked The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle)
The Count of Monte Cristo

Registered
I don't have favourite reads, but I recommend 'Cloud Atlas' - a perfect mix of philosophy and action, character and plot, simple and complex, unique and familiar. And most importantly, it's a very inspiring novel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts